AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   HID Ballast or Ignitor issue ? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/hid-ballast-ignitor-issue-802510/)

citystop 12-26-2010 06:51 PM

HID Ballast or Ignitor issue ?

Recently changed out my HID with new Bulbs as one had gone out. The Drivers side which had gone out now is fine. The passenger side which i was not having any issues is now acting up. It not coming on all the time.

I have narrowed it down to not coming on when you initially turn the headlights on, sometime it comes on and sometimes it does not. If it does come on it will Stay on until you shut the lights off and re-turn on at which time it will not come on immediately after it has been o for a while. If you wait a while it will seem to come back on.

I am wondering if I have a bad Ballast or bad igniter ?

No Moisture in lens and the intermitent issue has only started after I changed out bulbs, which leads me to lean torward the igniter side be bad ?

Any thoughts ?

TheMegalodon 12-27-2010 01:23 AM

If I remember correctly, I think I was having a similar problem with no noticeable physical signs of issue. I had recently changed the driver's side ballast because of moisture failure. The passenger side started having intermittent problems functioning normally, similar to what you're experiencing. I figured the ballast had died, ordered a new one on ebay for 200 shipped, replaced the broken one and all was well.

I'm thinking it might be your ballast. Often there isn't a problem with the igniter, it's usually the ballast.

Lester86 04-28-2014 09:43 AM

Having a similar issue has anyone pinpointed the cause of this problem ballast?

cincinattlguy19 04-28-2014 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lester86 (Post 14986385)
Having a similar issue has anyone pinpointed the cause of this problem ballast?

Moisture is usually the death of the OEM ballasts. Your best bet would to be replace it with aftermarket, as the ballast and igniter become one entity, and it is significantly cheaper than buying a new OEM ballast. Remember to replace everything in pairs as well.

Try taking a look around www.theretrofitsource.com, plenty of great products, and great customer service as well!

01tl4tl 04-29-2014 09:42 PM

another azine tested source is www.hidextra.com
get the 35 watt system with 5000k color bulbs $59 look for coupon online too
easy diy- a few wire cuts, there are a few DIYs on here

Rpappi 04-30-2014 01:56 PM

what's the consensus on the 55w kit from www.HIDextra.com.

I searched but couldn't find much on reviews of them.

cincinattlguy19 04-30-2014 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rpappi (Post 14990255)
what's the consensus on the 55w kit from www.HIDextra.com.

I searched but couldn't find much on reviews of them.

Stock ballasts push 35 watts, and 35 watts is plenty enough. I wouldn't go up to 55 watts for a couple of reasons:

1. Our headlights were designed for 35 watts, and anything more would cause glare.

2. The temperature of the light itself is generally higher, running a larger risk of melting something.

Just stick to the 35 watt ballasts, as they are a better solution, and also usually the same price anyways!

2ndgentlMike 05-08-2014 10:48 PM

most likely ballast, i had the same problem, replaced the bulbs and still had it. Then bought new ballasts, lights are now perfect.

Lester86 05-08-2014 10:51 PM

I actually swapped out the Igniter and all is well Thank you Ebay only cost me 45$ hope it lasts :-)

JMRD92 11-20-2017 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lester86 (Post 15002324)
I actually swapped out the Igniter and all is well Thank you Ebay only cost me 45$ hope it lasts :-)

did you have any water damage to the ballast or how did you know to just change the ignitor?

todhazel 02-23-2019 07:10 AM

From my recent experience, this what I gathered:
My lights did not work at all. Replaced the bulbs, now lights would come on intermittently and work fine till they were turned off again. Then they might turn on and they might not. (each light would act separately from the other, the left might act up or the right might act up randomly)

I replaced the ballast and it still did the "turning on intermittently" thing. Once you got it on, it worked fine till you turned it off. If you turned it off, you would have to wait about 45 seconds before they would even try to turn back on. (like something had to reset)

Then I realized there was an IGNITER! The name kinda gives away its purpose..... I replaced the igniter and the lights pop on every time without hesitation.

I just wanted to share this because I didn't find very many answers to an "intermittent not turning on" issue.