Help with replacing the AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with replacing the AC Compressor

Hey guys, I've done a search, but haven't found much on the subject of replacing your own AC compressor. I'm positive mine is shot and I've done a parts search. Looks like if I can do it myself, It will cost me around $300. I figure if I have someone else do it, it's likely to be double that. Does anyone around here have experience doing it themselves? How hard is it?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Disclaimer: ALL AC work should be performed by qualified trained personel ONLY
It is bad stuff- very cold- frostbite potential- eye damage etc etc

Is there any freon left in the system? Technically- you have to have that removed by a shop into a safety containment tank.

Assuming a hose blew and fried the compressor, you undo the lines and remove.
Make sure to get some liquid compressor oil and lube the new rubber o rings or it will leak for sure!
The instructions will say how many cans of freon and how many ounces special oil mixed in freon can need to go in the system in total.
The right way: is a special vacuum pump that pulls 15 psi negative vac, and then you can test it- if it holds neg pressure- then it wont leak with pos pressure when filled.
The other way- use the engine vac as a pump- this requires skilled knowledge to pull off.
Then when no leaks are certain- you add freon and oil to the spec amount and pressure
Parts store will lend the guages needed for proper vac and filling

Again- trained person to DIAGNOSE and repair AC systems only- DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Fair enough. I was just wondering since I've done other work like this before, but I've never messed with the AC before.

Can someone tell me something though?
Back when I had my Mistu Eclipse, I had the same problem. One day I opened up the hood and saw metal shavings coming from the AC compressor. Since the problem was obvious, I was in college and didn't have the money to get it fixed, I just reached down (with the engine off of course) and cut the belt that ran the compressor.
Can I do something similar with the TL? Does the compressor have a dedicated belt?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Disclaimer: ALL AC work should be performed by qualified trained personel ONLY
It is bad stuff- very cold- frostbite potential- eye damage etc etc

Is there any freon left in the system? Technically- you have to have that removed by a shop into a safety containment tank.

Assuming a hose blew and fried the compressor, you undo the lines and remove.
Make sure to get some liquid compressor oil and lube the new rubber o rings or it will leak for sure!
The instructions will say how many cans of freon and how many ounces special oil mixed in freon can need to go in the system in total.
The right way: is a special vacuum pump that pulls 15 psi negative vac, and then you can test it- if it holds neg pressure- then it wont leak with pos pressure when filled.
The other way- use the engine vac as a pump- this requires skilled knowledge to pull off.
Then when no leaks are certain- you add freon and oil to the spec amount and pressure
Parts store will lend the guages needed for proper vac and filling

Again- trained person to DIAGNOSE and repair AC systems only- DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!
I was doing a compressor with a trained mechanic on my lumina last summer, and let me tell you, with the pump you're not gonna get anywhere. Its not just for testing leaks, you also have to get negative pressure going in order to suck the freon into the system, most (all?) modern cars have a low pressure cutoff for the compressor in the even your system gets discharged. Getting to it isnt that hard, and if you dont have any leaks it wont be too difficult of a job, but if you do, then it becomes a nightmare.

sounds like your compress clutch is stuck, can you go into more detail about whats exactly wrong?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I meant vacuum pump which pulls 15-20 psi negative pressure, then you lock down the valves and let it sit and watch the needles.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Have a shop vac the system then replace it.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear

How do you remove the bottom 2 bolts on the ac compressor?