Help, Motor Mount question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Help, Motor Mount question

I'm pretty sure I need to replace a motor mount or two. I'm hearing some rough sounds going over bumps at low speeds and gears are hitting pretty hard between reverse and drive as well as shifts. I don't have much experience with hydraulic mounts. I replaced the side mount and my front mount appears to move around half an inch or so and looks to move a quarter inch or so in the rear. Is this amount of movement unusual for it to be parked and just switching from reverse to drive and back. Could I be having issues other than a mount or is there a better way to determine if one needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance,
Will
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
These mounts allow a bit of movement, as long as you don't hear a thud while testing them for movement they are ok.
When were they changed? if never consider changing them you will feel a difference.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Yeah, if the car has 100k and unsure if the mounts have ever been replaced....just do them. When the front mount goes bad, it'll tear up the top side mount. Check the other suspension components and bushings for wear. Make sure that the tranny fluid is at the correct fill level.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Look for aftermarket mounts they work just as good as the OEM and will be a lot easier on your pocketbook.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by jwp1013
I'm pretty sure I need to replace a motor mount or two. I'm hearing some rough sounds going over bumps at low speeds and gears are hitting pretty hard between reverse and drive as well as shifts. I don't have much experience with hydraulic mounts. I replaced the side mount and my front mount appears to move around half an inch or so and looks to move a quarter inch or so in the rear. Is this amount of movement unusual for it to be parked and just switching from reverse to drive and back. Could I be having issues other than a mount or is there a better way to determine if one needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance,
Will
There is no difference install wise that makes them any more complicated. You dont have to do anything special with them. Just connect the vacuum line.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ErickUa5
These mounts allow a bit of movement, as long as you don't hear a thud while testing them for movement they are ok.
When were they changed? if never consider changing them you will feel a difference.
The side mount is the only one that has been replaced and that was about 20k ago. I'm looking at about 144k now. The only thud I heard while testing it seemed to be coming from the transmission (which was replaced about 10k ago). I'm a little tight on money right now, so I don't want to replace them unless it's needed. That just seemed like a lot of movement to me for it to just be switching from reverse to drive. And if the mounts aren't bed then I need to find what's making that noise, it doesn't really inspire confidence in my front end.

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Yeah, if the car has 100k and unsure if the mounts have ever been replaced....just do them. When the front mount goes bad, it'll tear up the top side mount. Check the other suspension components and bushings for wear. Make sure that the tranny fluid is at the correct fill level.
I know the tranny fluid is fine I check it regularly. I didn't go too deep into a suspension inspection, but I shook what I could around to try and make the noise I'm hearing, but wasn't able to. The front and back mounts are original side is about 10k old.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
There is no difference install wise that makes them any more complicated. You dont have to do anything special with them. Just connect the vacuum line.
I don't foresee the install to be too difficult, just from hearing that noise and testing the mounts I was surprised at the amount of movement I saw.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Unhappy Bump sounds and hard shifts.....

Originally Posted by jwp1013
The side mount is the only one that has been replaced and that was about 20k ago. I'm looking at about 144k now. The only thud I heard while testing it seemed to be coming from the transmission (which was replaced about 10k ago). And if the mounts aren't bed then I need to find what's making that noise, it doesn't really inspire confidence in my front end. I didn't go too deep into a suspension inspection, but I shook what I could around to try and make the noise I'm hearing, but wasn't able to. The front and back mounts are original side is about 10k old.

Hey Jwp1013, If the tranny was just recently replaced.....one could only assume that the shop would've checked the mounts at that time ? Ya could take it back to the shop if ya think that the tranny is the noise.

The 5 piece mount aftermarket kit can be purchased for less than $150. At 144K on the dial, it may be a good place to start, IMO. Also on a 10 year old car......many things in the front suspension/steering could be worn and causing thumpin' & bumpin' sounds. It's the process of elimination, start with the easiest and cheapest things first !
Old 03-08-2014, 06:40 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also have a quick question about motor mounts. Car is making a rattle noise when it is in Drive. I throw it in Neutral and it stops. I'm thinking it could be a mount. Anybody got any ideas??
Old 03-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
You can start by checking the side mount by just looking at it. If it is ripped you probably also have a failed front mount. Or you and a buddy can do the brake test to see if they are bad.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Question Rattle noise in "Drive".......

Originally Posted by ThatOneBlueTL
Car is making a rattle noise when it is in Drive. I throw it in Neutral and it stops. I'm thinking it could be a mount.

Bad mounts usually clunk ....not rattle.
Have ya checked anything else that may possibly be loose and causing the rattling sound ?
Could be the exhaust system, maybe the converter shields or a rubber hanger ?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If you need to replace your mounts I'd consider upgrading to our XLR8 mounts. They are much more durable than the OE mounts and other aftermarket options.

http://hoa.excelerateperformance.com...i-1804873.aspx