Help Help Help Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 08:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Help Help Help

Hello TL owners,

Just got my car last week, loving it loving it, but there is a problem that I can't figure out. After about 10 minutes in stop and go traffic, it will make this noise that sounds like Morse Code back in the day. The noise sometimes comes from the back, and sometimes from the front, but if I tap the break it will momentarily goes away. At first it only did it once in a while, but now it does it constantly after about 10 minutes of driving. I wonder if any of TL owners has had this problem before, and what to expect when I bring it to the dealer???.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2002, 09:01 AM
Racer

Where is the noise coming from? so, what you saying is that it comes on when the car is warm? Hmmm, is it like exsaust tap? I had thing like that, but it was coming from tranny area... guys at the dealer told me it was ok. Now, it just went away by itself. Perhaps something is lose.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Maybe you have a stowaway in your trunk trying to get out!

It could be your exhaust pipe knocking against its mounts or something. Get the dealer to check it out.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:51 PM
@(UR@ +!

My TL and a friend's TL also do the same thing. He brought it into the dealer and he found nothing loose and actually said that it was normal......but it is damn annoying though
Old 01-26-2002, 01:04 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by copyryte
My TL and a friend's TL also do the same thing. He brought it into the dealer and he found nothing loose and actually said that it was normal......but it is damn annoying though
Wait a sec, is it like a soft metallic clanging noise coming from the undercarriage? I had that problem and had it fixed at the dealer's.

Here's what it was: If you lift your car up, you'll see there's an oxygen sensor on the underside, about 1 ft. inboard of your passenger's front wheel. The wire hanging off of the sensor is held to the heat shield by a plastic clip.

I noticed that the plastic clip is rather loose, so when your car accelerates or decelerates or hits some bumps, the plastic clip will actually "clang" against the metal heat shield. The heat shield acts like a gong and amplifies the clanging noise.

The solution is to take a bunch of very sticky foam tape and tape the wire and the clip securely against the heat shield. The mechanic at the dealer's did that for me while I watched and the noise has disappeared.

Now if I can only locate that darn buzzing noise from the dash (or the roof?) while driving downhill over certain highways...
Old 01-26-2002, 07:47 AM
Cruisin'

Smile HELP HELP HELP HELP

Thanks you guys,

Your helps have been really informative for me, now I will know what to expect when I bring my car to the dealer. Any other comments will greatly be appreciated, I know this problem exists for some of the TL owners in here... please keep them coming guys. I will update you when I bring my car to the dealer Monday.