Help: Engine Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Engine Cleaning

I know this has been discussed to death but I still have problem to do the job today. I ended up only clean the engine cover and its gasket. I do not know how to disconnect the TB from the intake mainfold so I took some pictures below. Please help me to get this task done.

I found there are 4 hoses and 1 sensor need to be disconnected from the intake mainfold, is it correct?

I do not know how to disconnect the TB from the mainfold. Should I remove the 4 big bolts and leave the butterfly or disconnect below 4 stuffs and remove the whole manifold w/ the TB.

If so, how do I remove this brake line stuff?

Here is the picture of cleaned engine cover/gasket and uncleaned upper manifold.

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
you dont need to take off teh TB. what exactly are you trying to clean? teh egr ports? those are really to only things you need to clean
there are no brakelines to remove

http://www.acurainspired.com/forums/...showtopic=4003

Post #4

start off by getting 3 or so cans of SPRAY carb cleaner and acouple small scrub brushes.
if your engine is any thing like the 2nd gen
baisicly you take the plastic engine cover off 4 10-mm bolts. then disconect the battery. they disconect the rubber hose that goes from the air box to the throttle body. continue to unplg any thing that goes to the intake (any plugins hoses) then there are 10 10mm bolts on the top plate (the part that sticks up thru the plastic engine cover) oull that straight up being carefull to not damage teh gasket. then there are like 8 bolts (12mm i think, i cant remember off the top of my head) then you are able to pull the upper part of the intake manifold off (double check before you pull straight up that every thing is disconected) then get your self a nice place to work and start cleaning. (stick a bag over the TB before you hose every thing down like in my pic to be safe)
it sounds like alot but its really easy should take about a hr to do
Old 05-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Instructor

I am trying to clean just like the link you posted; the engine cover and upper intake manifold. I only cleaned up the cover only today. My problem is I don't know how to take off the intake manifold because there is a brakeline looking stuff that I do not know how to take off.

BTW, where exactly is the EGR port? I read thru all the posts but cannot find the exact answer.

Also, do I need to clean the butterfly on the TB? Some posts said I can spray directly onto it w/ engine rev. Can I wipe clean?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nathanli
I am trying to clean just like the link you posted; the engine cover and upper intake manifold. I only cleaned up the cover only today. My problem is I don't know how to take off the intake manifold because there is a brakeline looking stuff that I do not know how to take off.

BTW, where exactly is the EGR port? I read thru all the posts but cannot find the exact answer.

Also, do I need to clean the butterfly on the TB? Some posts said I can spray directly onto it w/ engine rev. Can I wipe clean?
the hoses you just take a plires to the hose clamps, squeez them to gether and slide them back, then just pull the hoses off . just unplug the wires. the throtle cables, can be a little tricky, first with 1 hand pull lever so that teh butterfly is wide open, then, while its wide open slip the cable off the side. now look at where the cable is attached, there is a round thing at teh end of the cable, you need to slide that thru the side of the lever. repete process for other cable. then remove the bolts (and 2 nuts) in the inside of the intake manifold and slowly lift up to make sure you havent forgotten any thing
Old 05-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

you shouldnt need to clean it. you can if you want with some carb/fuelinjection cleaner while you have every thing off the car

Old 05-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

you can just clean the TB with every thing off the car. its typically not that dirty and isnt needed.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Great, thank you so much for answering my question early in the morning. I will try to clean it today or tomorrow.

Good to know that brakeline stuff is called throttle cable.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

No Problem!
Old 05-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Kris,

I just finished the cleaning. Smooth idel and ride. Thank you for your help.

I have a little problem (actually don't know it's a problem or not). Everytime I release the padel and step down again, I can hear a whistal sound. I pop up the hood and foud it's like for the TB butterfly area. It's like everytime the butterfly close and open, I can hear the whistal. Is it normal? I can even hear it when all the window is closed. BTW, I have a V2 but I did not hear the whistal sound before cleaning.

Another problem is the gasket between the engine cover and upper intake manifold has paind bublbed up. Do I need to replace it? I am afraid the paint chip may come into the cylinders.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
u probably didnt connect yer intake back properly, make sure that it sits right, and everything is tight.

What paint are u talking about? from the plastic cover?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Advanced

i also removed and cleaned my intake manifold and egr port. it is a black metal gasket (2 layers) and should not bubble. i used about 3 cans of gumout carb cleaner and went ahead and removed 4 bolts for the throttle body to clean that also. didn't buy a new one because local dealer didn't have it in stock, but all is fine. After reinstallation, it did not stay idle and would shut off but then i gassed and held it at 4k rpm for a few minutes (white smoke from exhaust) and now it is smooth and very responsive. didn't hear a whistle noise other than the pitch from my short ram. good as new.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

can i sppray cleaner into the the main egr port?
Old 05-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Kris,

Yeah, the rubber coupling btw the V2 and TB is not connect properly and it has a leak on one side. Now is just perfect.

The black coating on one of gasket has some bubbles, I can use nail to scratch it off easily. I think the simplest way is just to replace it anyway.

Black3.2

I used plastic bag to wrap the TB and let the manifold sit upright ( TB on the top) and spray carb cleaner directly to the main EGR port and cylinder ports w/ a tooth brush.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

why does my manifold look so different?.
i wanted to clean it..
but it looks so different than what is here in the thread.

i was afraid to take it apart..

http://imageevent.com/joseph_99tl/manifold

http://imageevent.com/joseph_99tl/manifold
Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

because you have teh 99. they changed design in 2000.
its similar. you dont have to remove any thing to get to te bolts to remove the whole Intake Manifold. once every thing is disconected remove the bolts (you can see them where the runners bend down) and lift straight up. once off just look for any and every thing that needs to be cleaned
Old 06-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

thx, kris.
this should be easy..
Old 07-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

umm...help please?

I had similar questions as nathan...and so many of the responses here were helpful (as well as other threads)

I have disconnected all the wires and all the bolts and nuts...but when I pull up, I can't remove part.

After disconnecting all the wires and little hoses, how do remove that big black plastic hose type thing? (you can see it in the bottom portion of picture #4 in the first post)

I'm kinda frustrated right now b/c of all this work and I can't seem to be able to full remove the upper intake manifold.

any help would be appreciated...
Old 07-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Just remove the clamp and pull it off toward the driver side wheel with my V2 setup. If you have stock airbox, it might be a little difficult. Try to lift it up instead. I wrote up an an instruction a while ago but it's incomplete; pm me your email address cuz I think it may help you anyways even it's incomplete.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Instructor

musubi,

check your email.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

thanks bro...i hope you finish that guide...cause it would be really helpful for others.

Old 07-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

if i just cleaned the upper cover and gasket, and pulled the gunk out of the EGR ports do you think this will solve my clogged EGR problem? or will it only go away if i remove the whole thing and run the water hose through it like you did?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
you will need to take the whole thing off, the main port is right at the head, its a pretty big opening that tends to get clogged.

its the cover 4 10mm bolts, then 10 10mm bolts, than i believe 8 12mm bolts, and it should slide up very easily...remember to disconnect all the hoses.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Cruisin'

Cool Loving the Info

I'm a newbie to everything there is to mods'n'cars and i'm learning so much here. Anyway...I hated to see the check engine light on so about year and a half ago, diagnostic from acura dealer told me there were three codes [P1491, P0401, P0420]=[EGR Valve Lift, Insuf. Flow, Replace Catalyst~dang] were spewing out. They told me to replace the 2ndary O2 sensor. I did. Codes spewed out again. I was furious. Time passed, left it alone and now i'm realizing that I'm not recirculating my fumes as well as I should be. I've got a new mechanic friend now and he's got a diag. tool kit that doesn't seem like a $5K but rather a $200 reader and it spewed out the insufficent flow; P0401 code. He told me all I have to get is an intake plenum gasket top AND bottom, and he'll clean out the rest of the gunk. But as I search this wonderful forum, and am now into modifications...I might as well get the ThermoBlok spacing kit...RIGHT? Because eventually I want to equip an AEM CAI: V2 model, possibly a UR CRANK PULLEY SET, K & N 1004 filter and maybe mugen cooling thingamajigmods. Also, I need to switch to Synthetic Engine Oil since I'll be running the spacers (hotter engine). And as per NDAWOOD [thanks] I'm going for the AMSOIL 5w20, was gonna go for the Mobil 1 5w10 but his intelligence and location pulled me his way. I know you can't get this at Wal-Mart can you....? I also wanna thank fsttyms1 for SuperFine previous posts. Honourable mention: NSXNEXT and Pure Adrenaline. Thanks for everything people. I have stock everything, and felt V-TEC once ~ yes i'm a nooby. OH and NYZFINEST: can you tell me WHAT HAPPENED after your job?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:44 AM
Cruisin'

Loving the INFO

I'm a newbie to everything there is to mods'n'cars and i'm learning so much here. Anyway...I hated to see the check engine light on so about year and a half ago, diagnostic from acura dealer told me there were three codes [P1491, P0401, P0420]=[EGR Valve Lift, Insuf. Flow, Replace Catalyst~dang] were spewing out. They told me to replace the 2ndary O2 sensor. I did. Codes spewed out again. I was furious. Time passed, left it alone and now i'm realizing that I'm not recirculating my fumes as well as I should be. I've got a new mechanic friend now and he's got a diag. tool kit that doesn't seem like a $5K but rather a $200 reader and it spewed out the insufficent flow; P0401 code. He told me all I have to get is an intake plenum gasket top AND bottom, and he'll clean out the rest of the gunk. But as I search this wonderful forum, and am now into modifications...I might as well get the ThermoBlok spacing kit...RIGHT? Because eventually I want to equip an AEM CAI: V2 model, possibly a UR CRANK PULLEY SET, K & N 1004 filter and maybe mugen cooling thingamajigmods. Also, I need to switch to Synthetic Engine Oil since I'll be running the spacers (hotter engine). And as per NDAWOOD [thanks] I'm going for the AMSOIL 5w20, was gonna go for the Mobil 1 5w10 but his intelligence and location pulled me his way. I know you can't get this at Wal-Mart can you....? I also wanna thank fsttyms1 for SuperFine previous posts. Honourable mention: NSXNEXT and Pure Adrenaline. Thanks for everything people. I have stock everything, and heard/felt V-TEC once when I punched it a couple weeks ago~ yes i'm a nooby. OH...and NYZGREATST: can you tell me WHAT HAPPENED after your cleaning job? codes erased? TTYS TLers.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

hey. Welcome to the forum.

As for thermoblock, they are good but arent needed for a cai. You also wont need a K&N iv you get a V2. Spacers wont make the motor run hotter needing synthetic oil. Syn is just a better oil and can be run if you want it.

If you have a CEL and repair/replace whats wrong you will need to have the codes cleared. they wont go away
Old 09-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Cruisin'

OK...
If I get the CAI, I don't need thermoblok.
If I get the CAI, I don't need an air filter; (K&N)

Will the CAI raise the chance of lessening engine life?

[I'm running a '99TL @ 237,000km]

[I just bought some AMSOIL, 4tubs... what type of oil filter do YOU recommend? and how many tubs do I need? I would have got 5 tubs but the other AMSOIL 5w30's had a different label...therefore different batch, probably doesn't really matter because they make vaults of it but i'm nitpicker.]

thanks for the reply.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Do I have to take the whole manifold off to clean the EGR valves.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
DIY: ThermoBlok Spacers install / EGR cleaning
Old 05-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Always a Honda =Þ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pics dont work....anyone hav updated pics???
Old 04-25-2010, 02:55 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you spray water on the intake mani after cleaning with carb cleaner and a small brush? How much water is too much? I want to do this...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
this thread was talking about internal cleaning of the egr ports, see `EGR cleaning/thermoblock install` in diy section

For that job you remove the intake manifold and clean, then rinse it with water until clean- dry FULLY before install

if you want to clean and detail the engine itself- read the Off Topic section, Wash And Wax thread area for all the info you need
Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
this thread was talking about internal cleaning of the egr ports, see `EGR cleaning/thermoblock install` in diy section

For that job you remove the intake manifold and clean, then rinse it with water until clean- dry FULLY before install

if you want to clean and detail the engine itself- read the Off Topic section, Wash And Wax thread area for all the info you need
yes i wan to clean the egr ports...
Old 04-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kriz2fer
yes i wan to clean the egr ports...
Water isnt necessary, but i used it to wash all the gunk out. The only real way to clean the IM is to take it OFF the car to do it. You can wash it out with carb cleaner as well. I ran out of it so i hosed it out.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Team Owner

the water is a final rinse to remove leftover crud and carb cleaner/solvent residue from inside the manifold- its better to get that out before assembly and dropping it all back in the engine

see the diy section-erg cleaning
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Instructor

the water is a final rinse to remove leftover crud and carb cleaner/solvent residue from inside the manifold- its better to get that out before assembly and dropping it all back in the engine

see the diy section-erg cleaning
ok so i should just spray some throttle body cleaner in the main egr port to clean the gunk out, let it dry then put it all back???
Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Moderator

ok so i should just spray some throttle body cleaner in the main egr port to clean the gunk out, let it dry then put it all back???
You need to take the intake manifold off, clean teh main port, THEN clean the 6 holes (highlighted in the above pic) and clean out the EGR port passages on the cover. I pulled the plenum covers off so that i made sure all the gunk came out.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:31 AM
Team Owner

this isnt some dust you spray and it goes away!! its hardened carbon deposits you may have to attack with 3 cans of carb cleaner or solvent tank, and a wire coat hanger-piece of wire rod to shove thru the passegeways!
please see the real diy in EGR cleaning /Thermoblock spacer install thread
It has the good pics for referance

you are looking at a 2-3 hour job total for a noob-
need good torque wrench that will do 16 foot pounds
Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Instructor

this isnt some dust you spray and it goes away!! its hardened carbon deposits you may have to attack with 3 cans of carb cleaner or solvent tank, and a wire coat hanger-piece of wire rod to shove thru the passegeways!
please see the real diy in EGR cleaning /Thermoblock spacer install thread
It has the good pics for referance

you are looking at a 2-3 hour job total for a noob-
need good torque wrench that will do 16 foot pounds
Yes I understand about the carbon build up and its some tough shit, i just didnt really want to remove the whole intake mani and thought maybe i could just spray some throttle body cleaner through the egr ports and it would help...
Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Yes I understand about the carbon build up and its some tough shit, i just didnt really want to remove the whole intake mani and thought maybe i could just spray some throttle body cleaner through the egr ports and it would help...
You NEED to remove it to properly clean it. Spraying cleaner into it isnt going to help. Its just a matter of a few bolts and unhook a few things and it comes right off. It takes all of 5 min to take off. Do it properly.

Quick Reply: Help: Engine Cleaning