Help diagnose my weird finding.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help diagnose my weird finding.

Hello, I am not mechanical and have been out of the car "scene" for a while now so my questions may be silly to some.

2001 TL 160,000 miles all original to the best of my knowledge. The car was given to me, and after some minor TLC the car hit the streets after being side lined for almost 2 years. I use it as my run errands and around town car.

I have been playing with the sequential shift and been having a lot of fun with that. But let me ask, when in SS the car auto shifts from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st for you. What is different about that shifting in SS vs the tranny just being set to D5?

The reason I ask is because sometimes while in D5 I get a studder going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. Not all the time but sometimes, but never while in SS mode. I originally thought the tranny was getting weird. But then I was thinking it is motor, but after this finding, I don't know.

Thanks for any help!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
certain years have SS mode that auto shifts from 1 to 2,,
in case you forget its in SS you're going thru a parking lot at 4000 rpm in 1st
other years do not have that feature

It will downshift in 1 for you when the speed drops below `15mph,
regardless of what gear it was in when you slowed
Making itself ready to go off the stoplight for you...its a ~semi automatic~

Guessing that in testing, people would forget and try to start off in 5th,,bad for everything!!
Also its bad to downshift at high rpm into 3rd or 2nd - especially if already having problems,,avoid stress where possible
I would drive it in D4 in town

please register at www.owners.acura.com and get a free owner book download with all the specifics of SS speed limits for up and downshifts and general useage

you may have a real trans prob with the shudder- there are many threads on the subject
SS uses a higher `line pressure` and will help it shift when the clutches are weak

have you felt any slipping when getting on it hard around 25-35 mph in D5,,getting on the freeway ahead of a truck for instance
Note: dont try to outrun trucks right now!!- thats the time it will slip- the D5 light on the dash will flash several times and the rpm will jump up,,trans wont engage the next gear,,, SMASH!!!

ck your trans for blue paint on the bolt heads on trans= holding things on it, and the big ones that run thru it -thats a warranty replaced trans,,
trying to get an idea of real miles on the trans as it sounds like rebuild time

you can try cleaning the shift selenoids/pressure switches and change part of the atf with the new honda DW-1 atf, see if that reduces shudder and prolongs the trans life

Sitting 2 years is really hard on cars, rubber seals dry up, crud grows inside
the trans has a limited life in normal use- 40-60 120kmiles and dead are all normal
Over 150 and going good is an awesome one!

running around town will be the hardest on it as it must use the 2nd and 3rd gear cluthes a lot, the weak ones that get overheated

If it decides to not shift suddenly while on a longer drive, shut engine off and wait 15-30 minutes for trans to cool.. material flung into the outlet port screens falls clear- allows use again for another 15-30 minutes to get to safety
Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Advanced

WOW!! thanks for all the feed back. So with the "shudder" would you suggest a trans flush and fluid change? I can get it for about $60 at the Acura dealer not to far away. I have been warned that a trans flush might actually make it worse. I haven't noticed any slippage or hesitations. The only thing other than the "shudder" is when I put the selector in D5, it takes a second to actually engage. I will also look for the blue markings. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
When was the last time the tranny was serviced? If the fluid has never been touched, I wouldn't do it now. 160k miles is too much.

Check the condition of the fluid. Color and smell can't tell you the exact condition of the tranny, but it will help point to any problems.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Karanx7
When was the last time the tranny was serviced? If the fluid has never been touched, I wouldn't do it now. 160k miles is too much.

Check the condition of the fluid. Color and smell can't tell you the exact condition of the tranny, but it will help point to any problems.
I have no real service history on the vehicle. It was given to me by a friend and she said when asked " I dunno, it was fine, I liked it."

I did look at the ATF a couple of weeks ago, on the dip stick the fluid looks nice. Not burnt or smelly. It was up to level like it should be.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Team Owner

level can only be checked on the dipstick with it warm from 15 minute freeway cruise
then it should be between the 2 dots
a cold read wont give actual level
what did it read when you looked?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

drain 1 qt of fluid -send 4 ounce sample of that to blackstone labs-
20 bucks will tell you if the trans is ok or has excess amounts of certain metals and materials in the oil

replace the 1 qt with the new DW-1 honda atf,,see if that helps the shift

former owner has no idea of history, I would start looking for signs the timing belt and water punmp were replaced at 105,,probably not,,especially if you were gifted the car after it sat for unspecified reasons-for 2 years
maybe when they found out it needed 2500$ for the trans and $1500 for the 105 service,,it got parked and forgotten --a new car took over...
Old 10-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
drain 1 qt of fluid -send 4 ounce sample of that to blackstone labs-
20 bucks will tell you if the trans is ok or has excess amounts of certain metals and materials in the oil

replace the 1 qt with the new DW-1 honda atf,,see if that helps the shift

former owner has no idea of history, I would start looking for signs the timing belt and water punmp were replaced at 105,,probably not,,especially if you were gifted the car after it sat for unspecified reasons-for 2 years
maybe when they found out it needed 2500$ for the trans and $1500 for the 105 service,,it got parked and forgotten --a new car took over...
Nope, she got into an accident. Her license got suspended. In the mean time she bought a new car while waiting for insurance companies to mess around. The car was stored in my yard the entire time until I decided to take it off her hands. She gave it to me for the cost of my TLC and time.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine had green bolts, when they replaced it. Hmm...