Health risk from rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
sorry to hear of your health troubles
DONT drive the TL anymore for sure-

call magna-donelly and ask if any cleaners will remove the residue safely

as for getting a recall- the mirror deterioration and possible leakage doesnt happen on that high a percentage of the mirrors--or there would have been a recall
the fed govt mandates those based on complaints and research= write them and advise of problem

warning on mirror of contents? where would you put it, plus these were designed 15 years ago and used in millions of cars without issue.
Want to know how many other toxins are in the average car? hope you never have an airbag deployement- that stuff is really bad for you

Change your cabin air filter today!! it will help a bit and should be done every year

You find a higher number of any part failures here on azine because its a tech help forum
Like the average transmission will be ok- but 90 percent here had failure

the mirror maker was doing an exchange until a few years ago, now most dealers will cut you a break on the price of replacement

Best wishes on doing a full flush of your internals and regaining your helthy status!!

for others- If you see funny bubbles on the edge- or a big oval discoloration in the center, wrap a ziplock around the mirror and order a new one
It may never actually leak but the real chance of injury is there if it does
Think of it like a bald tire- may not blow this trip but....
Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

note first sign of mirror failure is the dimming feature quits working
power light may be green but it wont dim

on cars with rear tint the dim wont work anyway- test mirror by shining flashlight at it
Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy Metal Toxicity

01tl4tl - Thank you very much for your reply and your suggestions. I did change my air filter, but that was just within the last year. Hopefully the air quality is now better for my husband as a result.

I actually did file a complaint with the NHTSA's office of defects investigation yesterday. Any other recommendations for filing the complaint would be welcome.

I called Magna Mirrors this morning to ask what is in the mirrors and, if they call me back, I will also ask them how to best clean it.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

I wouldnt expect a detailed report of contents- there are rumors of a few settled lawsuits with non-disclosure agreements,,,by members here

ask for advice on cleaning up the mess and go from there.

Might be able to research lawsuits against them~
Old 03-26-2010, 02:50 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I wouldnt expect a detailed report of contents- there are rumors of a few settled lawsuits with non-disclosure agreements,,,by members here

ask for advice on cleaning up the mess and go from there.

Might be able to research lawsuits against them~
Yes, I suspected that they won't disclose much if anything, but I should at least be able to say that I tried. I'd still like to get someone to test the car.

Are you aware how those suits were settled? Was it private or class action? Were any noted as successful?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Team Owner

they were private suits iirc

read this thread and look for clues in one members writings- contact them when you have enough post and time here to allow private messages

ck the last pages first

call them back and just ask how to clean it up
Old 03-27-2010, 01:46 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm not sure of how I can help, but I'm so sorry to hear, grayrun

That's absolutely awful to hear. I agree that you guys should stop driving the car. I also wish you the best of luck, that you get to keep your job without any difficulties and hopefully you fully recover from whatever health issues you're dealing with.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:45 AM
4th Gear

Thanks Costco - I appreciate that. It's been very frustrating going in and out of doctors for so many years. I just pray that I can now do something about it to get well again.

And thank you 01tl4tl - you've been a big help!

It's nice to know I'm not alone, regardless of the outcome.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Instructor

i had a 99 A6 with the autodim mirrors and the one in the car leaked all over and i just cleaned it up and went on with my day.. it was a black grease feel.. never got injured or sick from it at all it it was hot every day in side the car after that...also the interior was black so add to that the heat and everything else.. never had one problemm eventually i bought a new one, but didnt ever worry about the chemical that leaked from it...
Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is interesting, I have no idea if it was from the rear view mirror or not but when i had the tl and driving it during the summer my throat swelled up and be in pain. I can't recall the mirror failing or not as i just sold it. But ever since i stopped driving the tl and my new car i have felt much better and not have issues health wise.

Keep in mind i have no idea if that is the cause or not, but just seems like it fits the problem. I also have felt this long before i ever read or knew about this thread, so take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:24 PM
5th Gear

Hello all. I just came across this Thread and thought I'd add my very recent experience and hopefully get some feedback.....

The rear view mirror on my 04 BMW M3 started leaking just this week - I believe it's of a similar design and same supplier as the Acura mirror. Anyway, at first it looked like a bubble formed at the top of the mirror then over the course of a day the bubble worked it's way to the center and when I came out after work on Tuesday, the bubble was gone, though it looked like there was still some liquid across the bottom of inside of the mirror, and I noticed this gooey liquid splattered on my console below the mirror.

Anyway, I didn't think too much about it, wiped it up with a napkin as best I could (which wasn't good as it didn't come off easily) I then drove home (25 minutes) with the windows up and AC on - it's been in the upper 90s all week. When I got home, I tried to remove the rest the residue without much success, first trying rubbing alcohol and then tried to scrap it w/ my fingernail. It didn't come of easily - it appeared to be melted into the plastic, similar to plastic cement.

I did what I could then left it for the (Tue) night. I drove to work all week and Thursday asked a friend if they'd ever heard of a mirror leaking fluid before and he said no. Later that afternoon he texted me and said don't breathe or touch it as it's very toxic - a little too late, obviously. However, knowing that a lot of things are considered "toxic" I wasn't overly concerned at this point, so I drove up to my dealer after work who said they'd seen it before and acted as if it was no big deal, so still not overly concerned.

Then I come home and start Googling and come across this thread and get a little worried because I recalled that I did feel a little light headed on the drive home Tuesday night and started experiencing both stomach cramps / diarrhea and a sore throat last night and again today.

So, while I maybe jumping the gun a bit, I am concerned about the potential health implications with this.

My questions to those that have experienced health issues from this:

Did you start experiencing these symptoms right away or did it take lots of exposure (I've probably spent a total of 2 hrs in the car since it happened - every time getting into a hot car.) ?

Has anyone with limited exposure similar to me experienced these symptoms and then had them go away ?

For those who have had chronic health issues (Grayrun, cemcflc, others), have there been any new developments, treatments, or medications that have helped with your health status (I do hope things have improved for you) ?

Anyone know the status of the lawsuit ? Obviously, no recall has been made as of yet.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Same issue

I was hoping to get some input from those who have experienced these issues. I just bought. 2014 Nissan Altima and have a three hour commute for work daily. I purchased the car about a month ago and since then I have been experiencing the very same issues you described. I had to go to the emergency room after one particular night where I felt loopy, had a severe headache, had tingling in my arms And legs and stomach discomfort. Since then I have had blood work, but the results show up as normal. I am still very uncomfortable and noticed that coins that I had in my change storage area have corroded. I was hoping to find out if these issues have long-term effects or if the health issues you experienced were short lived. It is difficult to find out what to be tested for, yet I want to make sure that I am okay. Please give me any more information you have. I truly appreciate it.
Originally Posted by obespalov
I'm reposting something that was written by "cemcflc" in another rear view mirror topic which I think deserves it's own post:

"Exploding Mirror - Chronic Sore Throat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOLLOWING THE EXPLOSION OF YOUR MIRRORS, HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED A CHRONIC SORE THROAT, MIGRAINES and INTESTINAL PROBLEMS? At first, I thought it purely coincidental, however, since this incident I've had a chronic sore throat, migraines and intestinal problems. I've visited numerous doctors and one has finally diagnosed me with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - also referred to as MCS - is known as a Chemical Injury. In broad terms, it means an unusually severe sensitivity or allergy-like reaction to a chemical or pollutant. THE CHEMICALS INSIDE OF MAGNA'S MIRRORS ARE HIGHLY TOXIC WHEN INHALED -- particularly inside of a hot car with the windows up.

My rearview mirror exploded last November, spraying a black liquid substance all over the interior of my Acura TL (the tan leather seats, carpet and center console). It even eroded/burnt a hole through my center console.

Magna replaced my mirror free of charge, no questions asked. An auto repairman at my Acura dealership stated in my service repair report that these mirrors contain mercury. Although, they attempted to clean car thoroughly, he advised me to trade it in as soon as possible. He said that the chemical most likely leaked between my center console onto the floor board and could not be removed.

Upon receiving this information from my dealership, I requested the list of chemicals used inside of these mirrors from Magna Donnelly (the manufacturer of these mirrors). Magna would not share this information with me, stating it's proprietary information and the chemicals (there are 7-8 of them) are patented.

A week later, I received a call on my cell phone from the Magna's Vice President, Neall Lynam, assuring me that the chemicals used in Magna's mirrors are not toxic. (I later discovered that he had lied to me.) I also asked him why a recall hadn't been issued on these mirrors, and he stated that he felt it was not necessary. Not necessary?

I continued to remain ill for no apparent reason. I no longer believe that my illness and the exposure to theses chemicals was purely coincidental.

I hired an attorney to subpoena the list of chemicals from Magna. To my (and my attorney's) surprise, all of the chemicals used in their mirrors are highly toxic. One of the main symptoms, upon being exposed to these chemicals, is a chronic sore throat and interstinal problems.

I signed a disclaimer with Magna, therefore, I'm unable to disclose this information. However, I can assure you that if you've been exposed to them (particularly, for a long period of time), then there's a probability that you (or any of your passengers) may also become ill.

My attorney is filing suit against Magna Donnelly for personal damages to my car and injuries suffered as a result of their carelessness to issue a recall on their rearview mirrors. If you (or anyone you know) has experienced any type of illness as a result of being exposed to these chemicals, please respond to this posting. Perhaps, a class action law suit should be in order."
Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

so you have a new 2014 Altima? and it has new car smell and outgassing of new plastics bothering you? or there is an actual leakage problem with you mirror?

for A: open windows when parked at home, install ionizer that runs off cig lighter/power port. All the new plastics- dash etc (notice how windshield gets greasy/ dirty inside- that's the gasses!) are bad for you = need to let them air out, note some take YEARS- always smart to leave window open a bit if possible to let bad stuff out
Heat can make it much worse

If B and your auto-tinting mirror leaks, take the car back to dealer today= warranty!
Have you been to the dealer and had them smell it? test drive around the block with you immediately after long drive?

Kinda sounds like carbon monoxide poisoning, if leak anywhere in the exhaust system, that will cause loss of consciousness, dizzy, nausea, many of your symptoms
That's something a muffler shop, or if new car- dealer, should be looking at for shipping damage!

it would also clear out of blood before doctor would find it

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-04-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

3 hours in the car, I hope you are using fresh air not recirc for ac operation
recirc does exactly that- makes you rebreathe the same air over and over
at least switch back and forth every 20 minutes to pull stale air out and get a new cabin full of fresh

aftermarket parts store should have a cabin air filter with anti bacterial anti funky oders stuff in them, that captures bad stuff. ck parts store listings for those

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-04-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Team Owner

wearing rubber gloves- put coins in a ziplock and take to a coin store/pawn shop
ask if they know what corrodes them- those guys know metals!

if that fails try a NAPA parts store- they seem to have older/knowledgeable people who have seen most everything

Have you looked on Altima/Nissan owner forums?