Health risk from rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikePA
Everyone has a reason why they want something for nothing.

I imagine you've already contacted obespalov.
Like I said in my original post, I'm only interested in bringing this issue to light in case anyone is suffering the same problems. I'm only interested that people with the same issue be aware, in case there truly is a serious hazard issue here.

Last year, my brother in law's TL tranny died. He took it to some local mechanic and was about to pay several thousand dollars to fix it. Fortunatelly, because I was on this forum, I told him about the extended warranty right before the mechanic started working on it, and my bro was able to take it to Acura and fix it for free.

On the topic of Trannies dying, I'm sure it took quite a few trannies to die before Acura admitted there was a problem. And because Trannies are a major component of the car, as well as it can be dangerous when it dies on the highway, a recall was issued. However, with this rear view mirror issue (if there really is an issue), the problem is not as obvious. And the only way we can find out is by bringing this issue up and seeing if anyone is affected.

It kind of sucks that this discussion is becoming an off topic flame war on the American legal system, though I'm glad there is some sort of discussion because it's keeping the post on the front page where people may see it. For the people flaming about frivoulous lawsuits, try to remember that not every lawsuit is someone spilling Mcdonald's hot coffee on herself. I certainly wish I did not have to pay such high car insurance premiums either, but I am glad to live in a country where corporations can be held accountable for thier actions.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Everyone has a reason why they want something for nothing.

I imagine you've already contacted obespalov.
Also, so there is no confusion, I am not the one with the health problems. As i stated in my post:

"I'm reposting something that was written by "cemcflc" in another rear view mirror topic which I think deserves it's own post:"
Old 08-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vash68
I think this moderator is suffering from not-so-mild case of stubborness. I wonder if his rear view mirror is involved..

Hello Pow! Ppl come here to share their opinions and voice their concerns, so please stop trying to shut them up! And if you don't like it, then go and moderate some BMW forum!
Don't bite the hand that feeds you! The moderator has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years with some great advice.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
MikePA, you are a fucking idiot.

First of all, the fluid isnt and hasnt been leaking and burning all over the interior. The fluid is leaking but does seem to be contained inside the mirror but i do remember some of it coming out one time (I have pictures but cant figure out how to upload them on thread). I bought this car used and don't have a warranty to take it back to the dealership to get a brand new mirror. If you were a full time college student like me, you wouldnt have the money to buy a new mirror either, and how and i supposed to know that this leaking rearview mirror could be hazardous to my health??? You would think they would check for these things before they put them in cars. The only thing I am trying to do here is get some kind of compensation IF this fluid from the rearview mirror is the cause of my health problems. I'm not looking for an 07 TL and millions of dollars, just something (i.e. to cover medical bills, time taken off from work, etc.). I live in Florida, so it gets very hot in my car, and may not need the fluid to be pouring out to have an effect on me.

Mike you're an idiot, saying that I "started to feel this way after I found out that working was a hard way to make a living"..... i'm not even gonna say anything more, besides you're an idiot.
Your primary goal right now should be your health, and not the compensation. See a doctor to check if he can run some tests. I imagine if you're feeling sick from chemical poisening, then those chemicals should be inside of you, and a blood test should pick that up. If your test shows something, then you need to let us all know immediately. If your test doesn't show anything, you also need to let us know.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by vash68
I think this moderator is suffering from not-so-mild case of stubborness. I wonder if his rear view mirror is involved..

Hello Pow! Ppl come here to share their opinions and voice their concerns, so please stop trying to shut them up! And if you don't like it, then go and moderate some BMW forum!
Oh please. Why dont you go hang out there.

Im not trying to shut them up. Christ, 1 Person has a problem, "CLAIMS" that all his ailments are caused by the mirror,With no prrof or any thing to back it up and now we have a bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon thinking it affects every ones cars and talk like they are "Exploding" like a bomb. All im saying is to take a rashional look at it and if you have a problem with the mirror get it replaced. There is no need to treat it like its happening to every one.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by obespalov
It kind of sucks that this discussion is becoming an off topic flame war on the American legal system, though I'm glad there is some sort of discussion because it's keeping the post on the front page where people may see it. For the people flaming about frivoulous lawsuits, try to remember that not every lawsuit is someone spilling Mcdonald's hot coffee on herself. I certainly wish I did not have to pay such high car insurance premiums either, but I am glad to live in a country where corporations can be held accountable for thier actions.
I agree.

And to EVERYONE, Lets keep it on subject here, any more name calling or going off subject and this thread will get locked.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
10th Gear

All
I think this is worth mentioning. Magnadon really seems to be on top of this issue. I've requested a mirror replacement after filling out the replacement form and it's currently on it's way to my house. Granted, now I have to spend my time replacing this unit and sending the defective one back and time is money. But
I feel it's acceptable.
Hank
Old 08-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 93LT1
All
I think this is worth mentioning. Magnadon really seems to be on top of this issue. I've requested a mirror replacement after filling out the replacement form and it's currently on it's way to my house. Granted, now I have to spend my time replacing this unit and sending the defective one back and time is money. But
I feel it's acceptable.
Hank
If there is no health risk, then it is nice of the company to be providing replacements. If there is a health risk AND the company knows about it and hasn't issued a recall, then there is no honarable thing happening here.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Outta my way!!

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Oh please. Why dont you go hang out there.
No way in hell man!
I'd rather stay on topic here
Old 10-17-2006, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

Health Issues

I had my mirror explode on me on the freeway last week and has had stomach cramps and mild headache after my hour long drive from and to work ever since. Does anyone established if there is a serious health risk? If so, I would like to know more on that.
Thanks in advance,
N
Old 10-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Like i said, acuras arent the only ones running these mirrors, and they have been in use for along time. If you want to persue a lawsuit or try to get them recalled by all means go for it. I personally wouldnt waste my time and if mine started to go bad i would simply replace it before it started to leak (insert common sense here)
I think your opionion would change if your kids were also in the car!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jpadilla
I think your opionion would change if your kids were also in the car!
My kid is always in my car and my opinion hasnt changed, nor will it. If i see it starting to go id replace it, instead of waiting for something to happen
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 AM

I'm really not sure if this is linked or not, but I've been wondering. I have an BMW M5 with this auto-dimming mirror and I noticed it was leaking on Monday. The liquid dripped onto my shift boot and I cleaned it up with a napkin and washed my hands. Monday night I felt a sore throat (kind of like its swollen and theres a large lump in my throat) and it hasn't gone away yet. If it doesn't go away soon, I really hope its just a coincidence, but who knows...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You own an M5 AND a TL?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 PM
B A N N E D

it hasnt been that big a issue on these boards. some have gotten the bubble, some have leaked. And i dont know of any one that has had helt issues from it. We arent the only cars running them. If it were that big a issue i think there would have been a large recall on them by now
you mean like the Ford Pinto?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:03 PM
B A N N E D

btw, why do some of you guys turn it on? is your 5% limo tint not enough?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For informational purposes only, if the dim feature isnt used can the mirror leak still happen ?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by vzuptnguyen
btw, why do some of you guys turn it on? is your 5% limo tint not enough?
Cause not every one has 5%. Plus sometimes not even 5% is enough and you need more
Old 03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 187_FAQ
I'm really not sure if this is linked or not, but I've been wondering. I have an BMW M5 with this auto-dimming mirror and I noticed it was leaking on Monday. The liquid dripped onto my shift boot and I cleaned it up with a napkin and washed my hands. Monday night I felt a sore throat (kind of like its swollen and theres a large lump in my throat) and it hasn't gone away yet. If it doesn't go away soon, I really hope its just a coincidence, but who knows...
You may want to contact the manufacturer of the mirror and possibly see a doctor
Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 PM

You may want to contact the manufacturer of the mirror and possibly see a doctor
After a little research, I have found that the manufacturer is Magna Donnelly. I will be contacting them on Friday if I have a chance, and I will be seeing a doctor ASAP.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:52 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

Originally Posted by 03typeStl
For informational purposes only, if the dim feature isnt used can the mirror leak still happen ?
And to add to that, can someone provide the email or contact info for this "Dani" person.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And to add to that, can someone provide the email or contact info for this "Dani" person.

Thanks.
Everything you need to know is in the "Rear View Mirror exploded!" thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78061

This includes the email contact information at Magna Donnelly, exactly how to fill out the form they send you, and instructions on how to remove and install the mirror.

That thread saved me the cost of a replacement mirror.

Bob
Old 03-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Racer

A friend of mine who was 23 bhad a mirror in his tl that exploded while he was just sitting in his car, he started throwing up and later that week he died
Old 03-08-2007, 01:57 AM
B A N N E D

i actually only have 20% and my friend high beams me in his truck and it isnt that bad.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Fine, I'm a lazy ass, but I'm not going through 14 pages...

Does anyone know off-hand whether or not the leak can occur if the auto-dimming feature is enabled?

The only thing that kept me from putting a broadway on the TL was the auto-dimming feature.... but now it seems like things have changed.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Prick of the month

Originally Posted by ChampionFiyah
A friend of mine who was 23 bhad a mirror in his tl that exploded while he was just sitting in his car, he started throwing up and later that week he died
Are you serious?!? Did anyone else notice this comment? If someone died directly because of it, I'm sure something would have been said long before now. Was it the mirror that killed him or did he get hit by a bus or something?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
Good thing I got a broadway. I don't really turn on the auto-dimming future. Once it starts to leak I'll put a new one to hold up my broadway again.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
04 Black Infiniti I35

I contacted Dani last night via email, and I recived a form this morning to fill out and send it back for a replacement mirror.
So far so good, Dani really gets shit done!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
04 Black Infiniti I35

Just recived another email from Dani, and he said hes sending me a replacement mirror today.

Dani rocks!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Just recived another email from Dani, and he said hes sending me a replacement mirror today.

Dani rocks!
Great News!

BTW, Dani is a "she" ;-)

Bob
Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

I'm blown away, I spoke with Dani Wendsday I recived my new mirror today (Friday).... WOW!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

Is it difficult to install the new mirror ? I dont want to crack my windshield, I searched the forums and alot of people say its a bitch and its better just to take it to Acura.
So should I just take it to Acura, they told me it will be 35 dollars to install it.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Its not hard. There is a diy on it somewhere in one of the mirror threads.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:44 PM

Is it difficult to install the new mirror ? I dont want to crack my windshield, I searched the forums and alot of people say its a bitch and its better just to take it to Acura.
So should I just take it to Acura, they told me it will be 35 dollars to install it.
The installation takes me 30 seconds. Remove old mirror, apply some force on the mounting area of the mirror and twist.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:07 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

I cant find the DIY, there are thousands of posts ..... can anyone provide the direct link ? I dont want to crack my windshield.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Racer

Thumbs down

I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading about suing a mirror manufacturer over hazardous materials used in their product.

No, I don't believe any of you that claim your health has been compromised. Mercury is a serious toxin, but the level that you were exposed to isn't enough to warrant a lawsuit. You just want to sue and make some money off of a defective product.

Gasoline is a carcinogen, why don't you sue shell for having to inhale fumes while you filled up your gas tank

or better yet, why not sue Acura for getting a static shock when getting out of your car.........

this is stupid.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Nissan Titan in

Originally Posted by SLVR04TL6PD
I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading about suing a mirror manufacturer over hazardous materials used in their product.

No, I don't believe any of you that claim your health has been compromised. Mercury is a serious toxin, but the level that you were exposed to isn't enough to warrant a lawsuit. You just want to sue and make some money off of a defective product.

Gasoline is a carcinogen, why don't you sue shell for having to inhale fumes while you filled up your gas tank

or better yet, why not sue Acura for getting a static shock when getting out of your car.........

this is stupid.
hmm did you maybe stop and think that peoples health might actually have been affected
did you see the post in the other thread where the mirror leaked and melted part of the interior
if it can melt plastic it is not good for you to breathe in i assure you
i mean how would you like it if a mirror leaked in your car and screwed up your interior and on top of that has hazardous fumes which can have long lasting affects (i know the affects of mercury, my ex girlfriend used to live in another country and was exposed to it from eating fish and she has kidney damage, which is only one of the varoius things it can do to you)
Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lemme guess, she ate one fish and got kidney damage, right? There's a difference between long term exposure from eating contaminated fish and from a mirror. Another player of lawsuit lottery.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Nissan Titan in

Lemme guess, she ate one fish and got kidney damage, right? There's a difference between long term exposure from eating contaminated fish and from a mirror. Another player of lawsuit lottery.
she grew up in Papua New Guinea and ate fish over the period of time she lived there (about 7 years) quite a bit and now she has kidney damage
and yes she ingested it which is different than inhalation
but have you ever filled a gas can and carried it in a car
i dont care if you have the windows open or what
you inhale the fumes
you can suffer from headaches
your eyes can get very irratated
you can get severly nauseated
if it is very hot (105 degree texas summer) you can get skin burns

and that is just what can happen if you do it for 15-20 minutes one time
if you mirror exploded that mercury isnt just gonna go away by itself
its gonna stay there
to make mercury evaporate youd have to achieve a temperature of 675 degrees F
if you are capable of doing that in your acura TL i solute you
but if not its gonna be there a while
so every time you drive to work and back which some people make commutes of 30+ minutes
you are exposing yourself to mercury
which after a week youve done it 7 hours
a month would be 30 hours

30 hours of inhaling toxic fumes does not sound like something id want to do
if your window explodes and you get sick i suggest you forget about money and go see a doctor and get thier opinion and if they say you have mercury poisoning
then you take action against the mirror company
i know too many americans are lazy and want the easy way out in life
but that should not hurt the honest person when they cant pay for doctor bills caused by a defective mirror, the company sold a potentially harmful product and should be held accountable if it causes harm

*edited to add the amount of time she lived there
Old 03-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Drifting

I cant find the DIY, there are thousands of posts ..... can anyone provide the direct link ? I dont want to crack my windshield.
There are several helpful "How-to" posts in the massive "Rear View Mirror exploded!" thread.

See the post by KSuchdeve on page 13 for one good example:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&page=13&pp=25

I had no trouble changing my mirror using the instructions provided in that thread. But certainly be careful.

Bob

Quick Reply: Health risk from rear view mirror