headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlight problem

Well ive just noticed a new issue with my headlights. I changed my bulbs and got 8500k kaixen bulbs about 3 years back then replaced under warranty 2 years ago. I dont know how these look when going out but my left one is dimmer with a whitish blue look and my right one is normal with a HIGH blue look. I also know if i turn off my headlights and wish to turn them back on right away they wont come on. Some times one will the other wont and if i flip the switch for a bit the other comes on but first one goes off. I dont think its a ballast or igniter problem cause why would both act up at once? Any ideas?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
give josh at excelerate a PM or phone call- he is good with HID stuff

How do you see the road with 8500? my 6000s are barely enough white light to see with

at least you'll be easy to spot in town!!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
give josh at excelerate a PM or phone call- he is good with HID stuff

How do you see the road with 8500? my 6000s are barely enough white light to see with

at least you'll be easy to spot in town!!
Maybe you need glasses lol
I see fine with them. Havent had any issues. It use to be but now ive seen 3 other white tl like mines with rims and stuff. Make me sad when i see them cause they looks so ugly. They get the ugliest rims and leave it up high lol.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Team Owner

HIDs hate being turned off then right back on again--so stop that !

Weak output is either another bulb prob -which would be disappointing to hear on Kaixen's
OR
ck the ground wires for the lights
Got any moisture in the housing lens?
You know thats a bulb and ballast killer~

give Josh call- he will know if there is a prob with bulbs or help on the fix
Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
mine did the same, both ballasts went bad around the same time.
why wouldnt they? they get used equally and should be around the same age
Old 06-30-2010, 02:30 AM

if its my ballasters, FAWKK!!! They started doing this after the car sat without use for about 5 months after the wreck. Can i go after market for the ballast? Any place i can get a good deal on? So much to do and this will be expensive. Cant delay any of it. New rotors, brakes, lights, and maybe ballasts lol. Guess its good bye to getting the roof painted for now.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Team Owner

ohhh the incident--I forgot
Then you really really want to get in there and ck the wires-especially grounds- pull the bulbs and look for corrossion- use special contact cleaner and electric grease on all fittings etc
who knows what the body shop did!!

yes on aftermarket ballast- try the internet!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM

well ive just checked out everything. I am still lost. Bulbs look fine and ballast may be good but i have a feeling the ignitors are bad. Heres a pic. I did what you said 01tl04 and now it flickers when i turn it on. Heres some pics and a vid.

Click on headlight pic to view vid.

Last edited by harminder247; 06-30-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Well I'm looking and found oem ballast and ignitors for 170 shipped a side. Is it ok to cut the plug? I'm thinking of cutting it and using ddmtuning hid kit. Is that a smart move or stupid? I don't want to screw anything up. If I go oem route it'll cost me 340 for ballast and ignitors and 109 for bulbs. If I go ddm route it'll be about 90 for both sides and 109 for the bulbs since I want to use kaixen again. I can prolly sell the bulbs I get with the ddm kit. Should I save the 250 and go ddm or spend extra and go oem?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:03 PM
5th Gear

I have ACURA TL 2004 4DR Automatic. I went to dealer and local mechanic but I think what they are telling me might not be correct. They are telling me that the Ballast and Ingnitor and Bulb need replacing for my passenger side headlight. My passeneger side headlight work sometimes so I wanted to see how I could get them working. So, I figured out how to get my Passenger side headlight to work. First drive the car then I would have to use the remote and quickly press the lock and unlock button quickly twice and the passenger side headlight turns on about 7 out of 10 times then I start the car with the key and it stays on. I have done this like 20 times in the last month to get the headlights to work and they work. I just have not traveled a long distance to see if they stay on for a long time. I have had them on about 15 minutes max driving. Anyone suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 AM

Well i got everything in and threw them on. Tried just the bulbs and it worked fine. Since i bought the hid kit i thought might as well knock it out. Put in the new ddm ballast and ignitors with kaixen bulbs and SWEET!!! Im thinkin about selling my old ballast since they seemed to work fine but dontk now what to put them up for. I will say i can not promise anything so what would be a reasonable price? Will post pics tommorow after i polish it when i get my new porter cable buffer Again next week onces the g2 caliper paint comes in and i redo my calipers since they look butt ugly. Need to work on the headlights a bit to so thought id make it fun and add to this post.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

By repeatedly hitting the power boost thru them you get enough to light the bulbs-and putting the hurt on the bulbs which do NOT like that at all
(wiki how this HID system works)

BUT
first look for moisture inside the headlight lens- thats a killer of bulbs and ballast as the water drips down and out -directly onto the ballast!!
See the other main headlight threads and DIY section for more info

dealer often wants to replace all the parts- it makes them money,, and 8 out of 10 times that will fix whatever the problem really was with at least one of the parts
Failure beyond bulb wearout can damage several parts
Old 07-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
By repeatedly hitting the power boost thru them you get enough to light the bulbs-and putting the hurt on the bulbs which do NOT like that at all
(wiki how this HID system works)

BUT
first look for moisture inside the headlight lens- thats a killer of bulbs and ballast as the water drips down and out -directly onto the ballast!!
See the other main headlight threads and DIY section for more info

dealer often wants to replace all the parts- it makes them money,, and 8 out of 10 times that will fix whatever the problem really was with at least one of the parts
Failure beyond bulb wearout can damage several parts
Only time i did that was when i notice it didnt work right away. It wasnt a constant thing. No moisture in the headlight. One of my bulbs was totally out this time. Im thinking the bulbs just went bad from no use for the 5 months it was sitting.