The Great Bushing Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Great Bushing Thread

Bushings are very important in any car and as our cars age most will find themselves needing to replace some bushings. Some of us, like me, want there older 2G's to drive like brand new and without fresh bushings that WILL NOT happen. Anyways I wanted to create a thread that addresses all bushings on our cars. Get recommended life expectancies, recommended OEM replacements and recommended aftermarket and performance replacements. Also to have a list of all bushings on ours cars in one list. I am not an expert on this subject but have found myself replacing more and more bushings through the years and want to replace them all. I wish Energy suspension make a kit for our cars, maybe we can modify some that are similiar in size. Please let me know if I missed anything. Please respond with your experiences changing any of these bushings (let's try and keep out motor mounts as those will probably take over this thread and there is plent of other threads about motor mounts). I could not find a comprehensive thread on bushings already created so it would great to focus on all other bushings. I'd love to get peoples opinions on OEM enhancements to any bushings on our cars and specifically subframe bushings.

List of bushings:

Front Lower Control Arm Bushings(there are two in each LCA)- MOOG or OEM, ES mod would be nice
NOTE: Other LCA Bushing aka Shock absorber bushing

Front Upper Control Arm Bushings- OEM

Front Sway Bar Bushings- 27mm if you have sway bars, ES makes 27mm bushings, had anyone used them?

Front Strut Rod Bushings aka radius rod bushings, OEM or MOOG, I put in MOOGS and they are much stiffer than OEM

Front Strut Tower Bushings- OEM or MOOG, I bet we could modify ES bushings

Front Body Mounts (subframe bushings) has anyone changed their subframe bushings? Are they easily replacable?

Transmission Mount Bushings- OEM or poly filled, I poly filled both of mine with 60a poly, much stronger now

Motor Mounts- OEM, poly filled or excelerates new bushings, I have poly filled front and side 60a with stock rear and I love it

Front Bump Stops -OEM are poly already

Rear Sway Bar Bushings- 23mm if you have sway bars, ES makes 23mm

Rear Bump Stops -OEM are poly already

Rear lower arm Bushings- OEM

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings -OEM

Rear Upper Arm -OEM

Rear Leading Arm -OEM

Rear Control Arm bushings -OEM

Rear Strut Tower Bushings- OEM or MOOG, I bet we could modify ES bushings

Power Steering Gear Box Mounting Bushing
Old 05-28-2011, 03:13 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell
Front Sway Bar Bushings- 27mm if you have sway bars, ES makes 27mm bushings, had anyone used them?
I tried these a few years ago. They required some modifications to fit, but I didn't have time to complete it.

The bracket holes are staggered, one sits higher than the other. OEM brackets won't fit over the ES bushing. The flat side of the OEM bushing that sits on the frame has one side rounded.

I think the simplest way to mod ES bushings to fit is to machine a plate to act as a spacer. This would get the bracket holes planar and you can use ES's bracket. Might have to get a slightly longer bolt for the one side though.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Always Working In

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks sbuswell for starting the thread. I was looking into doing the same exact thing. Hopefully a cumulative effort will benefit many of the members who want to keep the TL riding nice as we are getting older.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Front Lower Control Arm Bushings(there are two in each LCA)- MOOG or OEM, ES mod would be nice
NOTE: Other LCA Bushing aka Shock absorber bushing
When I replaced my LCA bushings (CLS-6) back in the summer of '09 and then again in July 2010, I did not really find any discussion via the search function, so I started the thread (link below) to document my experience in regards to Moog bushings.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-tires-wheels-suspension-54/simple-ball-joint-separation-740248/

I also have installed the suspension mods initially brought forth on the thread below by fsttyms1 regarding the 08 TL Type-S Shock Absorber mounting rubber pieces. They seemed to stiffen up the front a little; however, it is difficult to really notice a difference because of the additional weight of the S/C'er and all.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-116/suspension-modification-765843/

Front Body Mounts (subframe bushings) has anyone changed their subframe bushings? Are they easily replacable?
I've been chasing a 'creeking' type of noise I hear as I drive down the road sometimes and I'm guessing that it is in regards to the subframe insulators #12 and 13 on the front beam and #7 and 8 on the rear beam.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

In the manual, it states to replace the #23 flange bolts when the front beam is reinstalled for an engine installation. I had the dealer work on the car to have the rear main seal replaced around '04 or so, and then had the clutch replaced in '06. Not sure if the rear beam/bolts were touched during those repairs; however, I remember that the front beam flange bolts were left loose by the Acura Tech when the clutch was replaced because there was a slight clunking coming from under the car when I drove it home. I thought it was my sway bar; however, when I put my S/C'er back on after the clutch repair, I found those two loose flange bolts and retorqued them and the clunk went away. Ever since I've had this mysterious slight 'creeking' up front. I bet it would not hurt to replace them (insulators and flange bolts) as my car has currently almost 124K miles.

Hope this helps your thread.

Last edited by zeta; 05-28-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I've been looking for options on bushings myself. If we could get the dia of some of the control arms with oem pressed out we could cross reference es and see if they had anything close.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:59 PM
I need 2 more gears

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I've been looking for options on bushings myself. If we could get the dia of some of the control arms with oem pressed out we could cross reference es and see if they had anything close.
That would be awesome. Currently the only alternative we have to OEM for bushings is Moog or other OEM replacements.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I need 2 more gears

[QUOTE=zeta;12980351]When I replaced my LCA bushings (CLS-6) back in the summer of '09 and then again in July 2010, I did not really find any discussion via the search function, so I started the thread (link below) to document my experience in regards to Moog bushings.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740248

Wow that sucks a lot because I was planning on getting new Moog LCA's with bushings and ball joints for an easy swap. Now I need to rethink. I wonder if Raybestos bushings are OK, they are a straight up OEM replacement part and a good brand. Anyone else have any experiences with non-OEM front LCA bushings?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I need 2 more gears

Also has anyone ever replaced one of their subframe mounts/bushings?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow that sucks a lot because I was planning on getting new Moog LCA's with bushings and ball joints for an easy swap.
For the money, to say the least, they were a disappointment.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I need 2 more gears

These ES sway bar bushings look like they'd work, no?
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.5162 FRONT
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.5159 REAR

I don't see how these wouldn't fit? The bracket has a slid for adjustment and you can slide the bushing into position easily. They are flat on the bottom. Any reason these won't work?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 PM

These ES sway bar bushings look like they'd work, no?
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.5162 FRONT
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.5159 REAR

I don't see how these wouldn't fit? The bracket has a slid for adjustment and you can slide the bushing into position easily. They are flat on the bottom. Any reason these won't work?
The rear will. The front requires modifications.

From above:

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
I tried these a few years ago. They required some modifications to fit, but I didn't have time to complete it.

The bracket holes are staggered, one sits higher than the other. OEM brackets won't fit over the ES bushing. The flat side of the OEM bushing that sits on the frame has one side rounded.

I think the simplest way to mod ES bushings to fit is to machine a plate to act as a spacer. This would get the bracket holes planar and you can use ES's bracket. Might have to get a slightly longer bolt for the one side though.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I need 2 more gears

I think I'll try to mod the front bushings then. What the hell. Maybe I'l.l get some more poly from mcmasters and make a tiny mold so the ES bushing is shaped like the OEM front's or make a spacer. The bracket in the pictures on ES's site doesn't look staggered. If they off a little maybe a little drilling and a larger washer will suffice. Longer bolts would be easy to get a hold of. I may have some hardened steel ones that'll fit. Anyway in the next few weeks I'm going to try this and report back on my findings. Also I noticed that ES has LCA bushings for 00-03 Maxima's http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...?prod=7%2E3118
I bet these are close to the same size as ours, but I don't dims. I just emailed ES and have a critical ticket in with them now. I also asked if they alert management and/or developement that Acura TL owners would be very interested in their bushings. I am not delusional and maybe they won't take me seriously, but it can't hurt. I also asked them about the maxima bushings and requested their dims. We'll see. It would be nice though to really stiffen up our chassis'.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM

The washer idea probably won't work. The bushing won't sit flat on the frame.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I need 2 more gears

Also has anyone changed a subframe bushing on their 2G TL? How hard is to do? My cars 12 years old now and mine looked crushed. I can't imagine they are doing a good job.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I need 2 more gears

The washer idea probably won't work. The bushing won't sit flat on the frame.
The washer would be for the ES bracket if I had to drill it. I'd use a washer to make up for some play between the bracket and the bolt. Get it nice and tight.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I just emailed ES and have a critical ticket in with them now. I also asked if they alert management and/or developement that Acura TL owners would be very interested in their bushings. I am not delusional and maybe they won't take me seriously, but it can't hurt.
Your inquiry can't hurt, only help.

Thanks for the effort!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:46 AM

The washer would be for the ES bracket if I had to drill it. I'd use a washer to make up for some play between the bracket and the bolt. Get it nice and tight.
If you want poly bushings for the FSB, I would try contacting Eibach. Their sway bar kit comes with poly bushings that are molded to fit the OEM bracket. Also 27mm.

See if they'll sell you just the bushings. I just remembered this.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 PM
I need 2 more gears

If you want poly bushings for the FSB, I would try contacting Eibach. Their sway bar kit comes with poly bushings that are molded to fit the OEM bracket. Also 27mm.

See if they'll sell you just the bushings. I just remembered this.
Excellent idea. I have Eibach F&R sways with their bushings. They are just old now and need to be replaced. I will contact them and cross my fingers I can get just bushings.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I just replaced my front & rear sway bar bushings with Energy Suspension polyurthane ones. My 02 TLS had a 19mm rear stock sway bar, not a 23mm. The front was 27mm.

The ES bushings are wider and thicker, and the universal brackets are not perfect for our cars, but I got them on. The front ones don't sit perfectly flat like discussed, but once you manage to get the bushings on and the damn brackets on, the bushing is held in there really well and the problem didn't seem to make any difference-it is FIRM.

Replacing the F&R sway bar bushings with the ES poly ones and replacing the F&R sway bar end links with the Moog ones really firmed up the suspension and got rid of some noise from going over bumps.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you should have the full weight of the car applied to the control arms before you tighten the bushings the center sleeve of the bushing have teeth on the ends of them that bit in to the frame if the control arm is thightened down at an angle then you interduce extra stress on the bushing and seperate the rubber from the sleeve and junk a new set of bushings. The method discribed is a poor reference to follow and should not be used. Also on the sway bar bushings the u-bracket will not sit flush with the frame until it is torqued down, if it did then you would not be compressing the bushing and it will work it's self out over a period of time.

Suspension work is not a shade tree mechanic option if you want it done right, you need the right equipement to remove the bushings install the bushings and then to align the car after you've finished installing the new pieces, now if you have you own alignment rack then yes you can do it at home provided you also have the drivers to install the bushings correctly and know how to remove them.

Last edited by rcb2000; 06-06-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I need 2 more gears

Originally Posted by AlanW
I just replaced my front & rear sway bar bushings with Energy Suspension polyurthane ones. My 02 TLS had a 19mm rear stock sway bar, not a 23mm. The front was 27mm.

The ES bushings are wider and thicker, and the universal brackets are not perfect for our cars, but I got them on. The front ones don't sit perfectly flat like discussed, but once you manage to get the bushings on and the damn brackets on, the bushing is held in there really well and the problem didn't seem to make any difference-it is FIRM.

Replacing the F&R sway bar bushings with the ES poly ones and replacing the F&R sway bar end links with the Moog ones really firmed up the suspension and got rid of some noise from going over bumps.
I just called Eibach and you can buyer just the bushings.
Part# 4040.310hk is for both front bushings only= $11.00
Part# 4040.312hk is for both rear bushings, brackets and bolts= $32.00

By the way the guy I spoke with was cool and mentioned their bushings are sourced from guess who? Energy Suspension, that's right!! So if you need replacement bushings just get them from Eibach and you're good to go. That's what I'll be doing on Friday.

And yes sway bar bushings are a PITA, I'll have a local shop change those along with my inner and outer tie rods (which I just don't feel like doing).
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I just called Eibach and you can buyer just the bushings.
Part# 4040.310hk is for both front bushings only= $11.00
Part# 4040.312hk is for both rear bushings, brackets and bolts= $32.00

By the way the guy I spoke with was cool and mentioned their bushings are sourced from guess who? Energy Suspension, that's right!! So if you need replacement bushings just get them from Eibach and you're good to go. That's what I'll be doing on Friday.

And yes sway bar bushings are a PITA, I'll have a local shop change those along with my inner and outer tie rods (which I just don't feel like doing).

Good info! That would be the best way to go, those universal ES bushings & brackets were a b-i-t-c-h to get on for something basically simple.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I need 2 more gears

I ordered the ES 23mm universal rear sway bar bushings as they looked beefier than the bushings that came with the Ebach sway bar kit and they are a lot beefier. I'll take a side by side pic tomorrow, they are twice the mass easily. The brackets are also very sturdy. I had to drill the brackets a little to get them to line up right but other than that it wasn't hard to install. I also decided to replace my end links (I've had moogs for 2-3 years now) and three of the four were a little sloppy, but not too bad. One was still tight as new. I'm speaking of the ease of movement of the ball and socket. Anyways I had to drill out two bolts that snapped right off (after they turned 2-3 times and got stuck). That and one of the rear sway bar brackets needs to be replaced now so I won't be able to comment on the result until Monday or Tuesday now.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Update/contribution to this thread, Moog and ES Accord radius rod bushings have been discussed/used in the thread below:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/aftermarket-radius-rod-bushings-poll-827945/

ES Accord RR bushings:
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=16%2E7103
Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about uca

Do they make replacment bushings for the upper control arm. I can't seem to find them online and acura said you have to buy the full control arm..
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Here is a thread I started about ES LCA bushings.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/front-lower-arm-bushing-compatability-possibility-830344/
Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
I'm going to look into these MOOG or Energy Bushings... gotta tightened up the TL