VSA and ! after resetting of CEL.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VSA and ! after resetting of CEL.

Hey,

So I've been resetting my p1457 (evap canister leak ) CEL with a OBDII scan tool for the last 6 months or so, because I dont have the time/money to fix it.

The other day after work, after a routine clearing of the code, the (!) and vsa light came on immediately after i pressed the reset button on my scan tool. ??

Is there a limit to how many times this code can be reset before something else get's tripped ?? If i scan my car right now with the vsa - ! - and CEL illuminated, the only code i get is the same old p1457. I can clear the CEL temporarily .. but the vsa warning and light will remain on and are not responding to the button.

i've also been having a "break lamp" indicator come on from time to time (been that way for the last few years, it usually goes away, figured it's a bad bulb) ...

Should i pull the clock fuse ?? Or is that the same thing as using the obd port scan tool ?? any advice for trouble shooting would be helpful.

also, i noticed ... when is start the car the (!) is on ... after 5 mins of driving the VSA will then light up. I've read about break switches, should i start there for troubleshooting. help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:18 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Short pins 4 & 9 on the OBDII connector and turn the ignition on (don't press the brake pedal), the ABS light will blink the code.

You can clear the code by holding in the brake pedal while turning ignition on (with pins shorted), then release pedal when ABS light goes out, press the pedal again when ABS light comes on, and release it again when ABS goes out.