Finally got rid of the Megans, got XS Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bid on a set so please don't outbid. Thanks! Hogiemandave is the name.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does N E One Have A Diy For Installing Headers I Took It To Some Muffler Shops Around Here And They Quoted Me Between 300 And 400 Dollars To Install?!!! Is That The Going Rate? Ive Done Everything Else To My Car But Once Again I Had A Detailed Diy From This Awesome Forum. Im Willing To Attempt But Would Like Some Sort Of Direction Can N E One Input Please???? Thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://comptechusa.com/store/media/i...ons/ins028.pdf
this is off Comptech's website, its the same install for all headers.You should only pay anywhere from 80$-140$..........I paid $100....Good Luck with the DIY.

BTW don't forget to check cardomain for a DIY also if you need it.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Racer

Well, finally got my headers on. Did it myself with hand tools and jack stands. Boy, was that fun, but I like saying I did everything on the car myself. Seafoam really helped a lot. I just sprayed the nuts and threads, let them sit and everything came right off. I definately feel a big difference in power. I have one question though for anyone who experienced this or knows: my check engine light is on now. I re-checked the O2 sensor, took it off and made sure everything was pluged in. Any ideas anyone? Thanks!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

Hey, when I installed my headers, I had to leave the hanger untouched because there was so much tension whenever I tried using the hanger to keep it in place. To this day, I haven't had a problem with the headers attached to the hanger at all. I'm just surprised you have some sort of noise whenever you're idling. I bet the hanger's too tight to begin with.. loosen it or leave it off to begin with.. then, go for a drive and see if you notice a change... it should go away and you'll be able ot hear nothing but the headers under WOT.

DAVERUBINO -> Hopefully you didn't get any of that stuff on the O2 Sensor. When I had to remove mine, i just took a huge combination wrench and a hammer.. after 2 bangs, came off with ease.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Racer

I just placed a bid on the XS Headers. Please do not outbid me, my eBay name is "sokiet."

Thanks very much.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
W00t

Originally Posted by joe80055
Hey, when I installed my headers, I had to leave the hanger untouched because there was so much tension whenever I tried using the hanger to keep it in place. To this day, I haven't had a problem with the headers attached to the hanger at all. I'm just surprised you have some sort of noise whenever you're idling. I bet the hanger's too tight to begin with.. loosen it or leave it off to begin with.. then, go for a drive and see if you notice a change... it should go away and you'll be able ot hear nothing but the headers under WOT.
Im gonna try this, I got everything loose today, tried to align (nothing budged but the flex pipe) and put everything back together. I really do think its my hanger, since I did have to jack it up to tighen it down. I hope it fixes it, I dont wanna be the guy here with the unsuccessful story on the XS headers
Old 09-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PiZauL
Im gonna try this, I got everything loose today, tried to align (nothing budged but the flex pipe) and put everything back together. I really do think its my hanger, since I did have to jack it up to tighen it down. I hope it fixes it, I dont wanna be the guy here with the unsuccessful story on the XS headers
I figured it'd be the hanger, just take it off and leave it off, see how that goes. The vibration/resonance should go away instantly. I've been running on the headers for almost 1/2 a year, nothing wrong so far
Old 09-18-2006, 01:12 AM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Originally Posted by DAVERUBINO
Well, finally got my headers on. Did it myself with hand tools and jack stands. Boy, was that fun, but I like saying I did everything on the car myself. Seafoam really helped a lot. I just sprayed the nuts and threads, let them sit and everything came right off. I definately feel a big difference in power. I have one question though for anyone who experienced this or knows: my check engine light is on now. I re-checked the O2 sensor, took it off and made sure everything was pluged in. Any ideas anyone? Thanks!
follow the wires up to see if you pulled them out of the wire harness. that happened when i had a shop remove the exhaust resonator.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:35 AM
Racer

Anyone have problems so far with re-using the stock gaskets when installing the XS Headers? Have you run into leaking problems? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lodoss22
Anyone have problems so far with re-using the stock gaskets when installing the XS Headers? Have you run into leaking problems? Thanks.
the gaskets do not cost that much. youre better off getting brand new ones anyways. you dont want to cheap out like 20 bucks now and then have to replace it all over again a few weeks down the road and end up paying more to have it removed, replaced, and re-installed.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:46 PM
W00t

My update on the Headers:

So before I had this annoying resonance sound, like a metalic "WHOOOOOMMM" sound at 1600RPM and 2500-2600 RPM. I knew there was some tension somewhere as my exhaust was crooked and it took alot of energy to get the hanger back on.

Solution: Completely took off the hanger.. and bam! All that sound is gone, I am MUCH happier with these now. The hanger would try to shift everything up and would cause tension between the connections. I think of it as taking a rubber band, putting tension on it (stretch it), and when you run your finger through it, it makes that wobbling sound. Same situation here.

All thanks to Joe
Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Cruisin'

I ordered Fel Pro header gaskets from O'Riely's Auto Parts to replace the ones that cam with the XS headers, and when I opened the box the Fel pro gaskets looked exactly the same as the ones that came with the XS headers.
What should I do? Use one of these or just get OEM ones.
I heard that copper gaskets are the best, but I couldn't find any.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:07 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! this thread will go on forever. I have had mine for over 1/2 year. no probs. lots of power. I used new OEM gaskets. perfect. I paid $150 and did the install myself. took 6 hours and lots of beer. I have a 6 speed. The DIY for this is in the FAQ section of the sencond gen CL side of the board if you cant find it here.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lodoss22
I have a 2000 TLP with 50K on it and reused the stock gaskets. Did it my self with hand tools and no leaks. The only problem is I have to get a new o2 sensor. Come on guys, do it yourself, it's not rocket science. I'm no mechanic and I've done everything on my car except paint and underdrive pulley.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:55 AM
Instructor

Getting to the performance feel that I was expecting to get and to be Honest I felt my car more responsive and more pull w/ my OEM Headers???? I don't understand, could the headers be installed incorrectly causing me not to get the gains expected?

The only issue I have now is the hanger problem that everyone else is having but I don't think that would be causing me not to feel the extra power I was expecting.

Anyone have the same result as I did? It just feels my car is not as fast as it was w/ the OEM headers. Plus I don't hear anything new from the new headers either.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaqs2002TLS
Getting to the performance feel that I was expecting to get and to be Honest I felt my car more responsive and more pull w/ my OEM Headers???? I don't understand, could the headers be installed incorrectly causing me not to get the gains expected?

The only issue I have now is the hanger problem that everyone else is having but I don't think that would be causing me not to feel the extra power I was expecting.

Anyone have the same result as I did? It just feels my car is not as fast as it was w/ the OEM headers. Plus I don't hear anything new from the new headers either.
I bet the power is there. its not going to be like a turbo kicking in! I had very limited seat time in my car before i put them in and i could notice the difference.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:06 AM
W00t

The way I could tell the power difference is how with my stock headers, I couldnt chirp the tires nearly as much as I chirp them with the XS headers.. and I have brand new tires. Also, chirping tires when going into second gear in an automatic is pretty impressive imo. My exhaust sounds alot more aggressive now, I love it. Gotta re-run the VR6 that beat me and see if I could pull on him.

XS Power FTW
Old 09-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SQrules
I ordered Fel Pro header gaskets from O'Riely's Auto Parts to replace the ones that cam with the XS headers, and when I opened the box the Fel pro gaskets looked exactly the same as the ones that came with the XS headers.
What should I do? Use one of these or just get OEM ones.
I heard that copper gaskets are the best, but I couldn't find any.
its been said many times,use the OEM gaskets(I bought new ones from dealership) for the flanges and then use the XS provided O ring gaskets.good luck
Old 09-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I bet the power is there. its not going to be like a turbo kicking in! I had very limited seat time in my car before i put them in and i could notice the difference.

The weird thing is I felt more power w/ the OEM exhaust though. I figured it's not going to be a turbo feeling but at least I should feel the same power as I had w/ my OEM headers.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shaqs2002TLS
The weird thing is I felt more power w/ the OEM exhaust though. I figured it's not going to be a turbo feeling but at least I should feel the same power as I had w/ my OEM headers.
Did you put them on backwards??
Old 09-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Well finally after enough outrageous price quotes and driving around i decided to go ahead and do the install myself. Well after taking a long look and scratching my head i went at it. Turned out thats its pretty easy more of a pain in the ass than anything. I can feel a little bit more power on take off and a i can hear a little groan coming out of the beast lol. i like them so far. how long should i drive around before retorking everything down again? next thing i want to get would be an exhaust what are the best recommendations? Im one to despite an exhaust on an automatic for some reason they sound like shit. But now that i have the headers might as well get some mufflers. What are the lowest toned mufflers that i could get. I know you guys probably hear this all the time but whats sounds closest to g35? or even quiter i dont want some roaring noise coming out of my luxury car if i want that i drive my rx7. by the way thanks for the DIY.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by SQUEEZY83
Well finally after enough outrageous price quotes and driving around i decided to go ahead and do the install myself. Well after taking a long look and scratching my head i went at it. Turned out thats its pretty easy more of a pain in the ass than anything. I can feel a little bit more power on take off and a i can hear a little groan coming out of the beast lol. i like them so far. how long should i drive around before retorking everything down again? next thing i want to get would be an exhaust what are the best recommendations? Im one to despite an exhaust on an automatic for some reason they sound like shit. But now that i have the headers might as well get some mufflers. What are the lowest toned mufflers that i could get. I know you guys probably hear this all the time but whats sounds closest to g35? or even quiter i dont want some roaring noise coming out of my luxury car if i want that i drive my rx7. by the way thanks for the DIY.
remove the exhaust resonators. gets to about the same as the G35 or the Z.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JCVTLS
Did you put them on backwards??
I didn't install them, I had a mechanic do it. But I don't think that's even possible.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Cruisin'

Which set of pipes goes in the front of the engine? The one with the first pipe that is bent or the other one?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:19 AM

the one with the bent pipe goes in the rear
Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SQUEEZY83
Good for you for putting them on yourself! I agree, more of a pain in the ass than anything. I have a nice all stainless catback dual exhaust for any forum members '99 - '03 for $299 delivered. Get them cheap now before I start selling them on Ebay. I'm putting a set on a friends car today and I'll take pictures. You can run the mufflers open or they have bolt-in silencers.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So before I had this annoying resonance sound, like a metalic "WHOOOOOMMM" sound at 1600RPM and 2500-2600 RPM. I knew there was some tension somewhere as my exhaust was crooked and it took alot of energy to get the hanger back on.

Solution: Completely took off the hanger.. and bam! All that sound is gone, I am MUCH happier with these now. The hanger would try to shift everything up and would cause tension between the connections. I think of it as taking a rubber band, putting tension on it (stretch it), and when you run your finger through it, it makes that wobbling sound. Same situation here.

All thanks to Joe
Which hanger specifically did you take off?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:26 PM
W00t

Originally Posted by death
Which hanger specifically did you take off?
I took off the one that is right before the flex pipe on the headers, pretty much the only hanger on the entire header system.

PenguinQX's pic of the hanger (his ripped probably because how much tension was on it)

I just took off that entire rubber/plastic piece off.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned

All thanks to Joe
Glad to hear everything worked out well tension's never a good thing... that reminds me.. the rumor about ssautochrome making a catback for our cars... is that still a possibility?
remove the exhaust resonators. gets to about the same as the G35 or the Z.
the exhaust resonators, which ones? how much would i be looking at to remove them? .. any sound clips?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

the exhaust resonators, which ones? how much would i be looking at to remove them? .. any sound clips?
maybe 50-75 bucks depends on shop rate per hour should not cost more unless your replacing the resonator for whatever reason.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Wallace, LA

Ok. Bid. markhatespaypal.

I would appreciate if nobody would out bid me
Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 PM

remove both of them if you do one you really wont notice it.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Racer

Good for you for putting them on yourself! I agree, more of a pain in the ass than anything. I have a nice all stainless catback dual exhaust for any forum members '99 - '03 for $299 delivered. Get them cheap now before I start selling them on Ebay. I'm putting a set on a friends car today and I'll take pictures. You can run the mufflers open or they have bolt-in silencers.
Test fitted the exhaust tonight. They sounded awesome but there's some fitment problems I have to get solved from the factory. I'll post more when I get it straightened out.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 PM

Test fitted the exhaust tonight. They sounded awesome but there's some fitment problems I have to get solved from the factory. I'll post more when I get it straightened out.
how loud is it?? do you have your exhaust resonators removed???
Old 09-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Banned

What exhaust is this?
Old 09-23-2006, 12:19 AM
W00t

Im gonna take a guess, but a XS Power Exhaust?
Old 09-23-2006, 12:24 AM

i was going to make the same guess.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:29 PM
All go, no show

Actually, this hanger was ripped b4 I installed the headers.... it was the result of a accident involving my mufflers. Replacing the hangers solved like 90% of the resonance problems I was having, which was basically a metal on metal rattling sound.

I took off the one that is right before the flex pipe on the headers, pretty much the only hanger on the entire header system.

PenguinQX's pic of the hanger (his ripped probably because how much tension was on it)

I just took off that entire rubber/plastic piece off.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Racer

Man WTF?

Can you please tell me which header goes to the front and which one goes to the back:

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

And these are the gaskets that you guys tell me not to use because it's made out of recycled battery and to use the OEM gaskets, right?:

I don't even know where to begin with the installation. I jacked up the car, went underneath the car, and I was like, "Oh, Hell No." Can someone tip me on how to disassemble the stock pipe and where to start with the XS headers installation?

Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Finally got rid of the Megans, got XS Headers