Feels like im driving on rumble strip

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feels like im driving on rumble strip

New member here. 2003 TL. New left front hub and wheel bearing. Suspension components checked and found bad,
lose sway bar links, slightly worn upper ball joints, and leaking struts. Struts going to be replaced soon. Now the current problem. I feel like I'm driving over a rumble strip that gets much worse in loudness as the speed increases. However if I make a turn to the right it completely goes away. I thought the culprit was the wheel bearing as when I checked for slop while jacked up it was real bad. I checked right side with no movement at bearing but some movement in what I'm thinking is the tierod. Would a tie rod cause such a bad rumble as described? Any insight would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Bad right bearing would be my guess due to the noise going away with a right turn(weight is shifted to the left side taking the load off the right which is why it goes quiet) They can make noise with no perceptible movement. How many miles on the bearings?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iggy
Bad right bearing would be my guess due to the noise going away with a right turn(weight is shifted to the left side taking the load off the right which is why it goes quiet) They can make noise with no perceptible movement. How many miles on the bearings?
I'm going to assume the right side hasn't been changed. I'm third owner and it had 189xxx when I purchased and currently sitting at 206xxx. With no apparent play in the wheel can I just replace bearing with out changing hub too?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
That is correct. Knuckle comes off, hub is pressed out of bearing, then bearing is pressed out of the knuckle. The new bearing is pressed into the knuckle then hub into that. The race from the old bearing will likely be stuck onto the hub shaft so that will need to be removed.

Not a terribly difficult job but is time consuming. A hydraulic press is needed.

The rears are a hub/bearing assembly and are super easy to change without special tools except for a torque wrench able to do 180ft/lbs

Last edited by Iggy; 07-18-2017 at 08:58 PM.