FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap'

Old 12-30-2016, 12:57 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MBP 03
Yes. You need a trans from an '06 or '07 Accord V6 coupe or sedan.

Change your rear main seal while the trans is out and I also recommend changing the axle seals as well as the trans input shaft seal and torque converter o-ring. You will also need a new gasket for the filter adapter housing where it bolts to the transmission.

Good luck!
You wouldn't possibly have part numbers for the extras you recommendEd woud ya? Thx
Old 12-30-2016, 01:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
@nobletl- all I can say is i just had the swap done in my 02 type S and have about 1500 miles on it. It definitely feels more torquey and more responsive. Shifts are positive.
Did you swap out extra parts like solonoids Or sensors ? Did you keep the filter setup from the av6 ? Thx
Old 12-30-2016, 01:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP13
Hi -

Can anyone enlighten mo on the part on the FAQ instruction where it says that I needed to cut the oil jet kit line that is directly feed through the filter line, then swapping the said line to the AV6...

What hose or connector do I need?
Hi, did you figure this out yet? What did u end up doing?Thx. Part number?
Thx
Old 12-30-2016, 01:16 AM
Instructor

If you don't want to do any modifications to the oil jet kit, you can simply swap the whole thing over to the AV6 and it will work just fine on it.

If you choose to get rid of the oil jet kit, you have two options. You can either buy the original style pipe/rubber hose combo from Acura and use that instead of the oil jet kit. Otherwise, you can cut the rubber hose between the tee in the line going to the filter and the oil jet and use a plug and hose clamp to cap off the hose.
Would you happen to know the part number needed to cut the filter out. ? Thx
Old 12-30-2016, 01:43 AM
Instructor

I initially kept my oil jet after the AV6 swap, but then deleted it after a period of time by using OEM tubing. The bottom line is that the redesigned case of the AV6 trans is supposed to address the lack of lubrication that was present in the old trans and band-aided by the oil jet kit. However, if you choose the leave the oil jet in place, it shouldn't cause any harm to the AV6 transmission.
what was the part number to the tubing? Any help would be great. thx
Old 12-30-2016, 01:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by savemytls
Well I got the atf straightened out. We put 4 quarts in after the swap. Each time I checked it out seemed to be above the two holes but there were dry spots along the stick below the fluid line I thought I had.

At first I thought I over filled it. Then I started thinking that maybe the stick was picking up oil stuck on the side of the tube.

I decided to put more atf in. Finally after adding an additional 1.75 quartz I saw the atf real thick at the bottom of the stick. I brought it up past the first hole and could tell it looked right.

I also put a bend in my Honda dip stick handle. The direction of the bend has to intersect the direction of the dip stick blade so that the stick itself can bend naturally back and forward in the same direction that you bend the handle. This let me better maneuver the dipstick in and out of the tranny, avoiding the battery cables and lines above.

I am now confident I have a good reading. Total atf after the swap...6.75 quarts.

I also painted my brake calipers black in the back. The look pretty sweet.
what did you paint them with and how long did it take you? Could this be done while swapping. Assuming it takes 8 hrs and this is the first thing you did?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:07 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question.

Swap was successful on Basemodel 03 TL..
wrecked said TL..
Found a type S with a bad trans. Was wondering if this swap would work with the Type S?
Old 01-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatdopeTL
Swap was successful on Basemodel 03 TL..
wrecked said TL..
Found a type S with a bad trans. Was wondering if this swap would work with the Type S?
Yep, it's even easier on the Type S since it doesn't have the speed sensor for the power steering, so you don't have to bother with looping the hydraulic lines and the steering is unaffected.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm having a shop do the AV6 swap on my 02 TL-S tomorrow. It was hard to find a shop willing to do it, but I did find one. The mechanic has rebuilt and swapped TL transmissions before, but has not done the AV6 swap. I wanted to provide him with as much info as possible on this to make it as easy as possible for him, since he is doing it for a very good price. I downoaded the factory service manual, but I can't seem to print the pages that were recommended (pdf pages 847-861,manual pages 14-351 through 14-365) I go to print them, select those particular pages, hit print but nothing other than the page number prints on all 15 pages. When I go back to the pdf file, all it shows is a puzzle piece with a frowning face on it, as if it's a broken file. No matter how I try to print it, nothing works. So, first off, is it necessary to even print this for him, and second, is there anyone here that can somehow post those pages here so I can print them off of here? I would print the whole manual if it wasn't over 2000 pages...I don't think my printer can handle that as it has a hard enough time printing 20 pages sometimes.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 2002Type-S
I'm having a shop do the AV6 swap on my 02 TL-S tomorrow. It was hard to find a shop willing to do it, but I did find one. The mechanic has rebuilt and swapped TL transmissions before, but has not done the AV6 swap. I wanted to provide him with as much info as possible on this to make it as easy as possible for him, since he is doing it for a very good price. I downoaded the factory service manual, but I can't seem to print the pages that were recommended (pdf pages 847-861,manual pages 14-351 through 14-365) I go to print them, select those particular pages, hit print but nothing other than the page number prints on all 15 pages. When I go back to the pdf file, all it shows is a puzzle piece with a frowning face on it, as if it's a broken file. No matter how I try to print it, nothing works. So, first off, is it necessary to even print this for him, and second, is there anyone here that can somehow post those pages here so I can print them off of here? I would print the whole manual if it wasn't over 2000 pages...I don't think my printer can handle that as it has a hard enough time printing 20 pages sometimes.
If he has swapped TL transmissions then he probably doesn't need the shop manual to do it. Regardless, if he absolutely did need it he can get this info from https://techinfo.honda.com for something like $10.
The following users liked this post:
2002Type-S (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Okay, I didnt't think of that, that if he's done it before then he really shouldn't need that. Thank you, SuperGreg, for pointing that out!! Also, thank you for your write up on the swap. I personally found that to be very helpful.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Pro

You're welcome! Also, I would post the pages but I haven't figured out how to extract specific pages from the PDF, sorry
Old 01-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

It's all good man, I can't figure it out either. I apparently have some time to figure it out how to print just that part of the manual...the shop that is going to do it just called me and said he can't do it untill the end of next week now, as opposed to tomorrow.....I want and need my baby back.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Okay, I didnt't think of that, that if he's done it before then he really shouldn't need that. Thank you, SuperGreg, for pointing that out!! Also, thank you for your write up on the swap. I personally found that to be very helpful.
Yeah, I'm in the Raleigh area and I too had to search for a mechanic/shop to do the next-gen AV6/Ody swap into our 2003TL (Base). Our TL has now been running great about a month. Most shops just want to install a re-manufactured original-generation tranny, but I think the AV6/Ody swap is the way to go! You'll be very happy provided the donor tranny is OK to begin with. Our donor had 30k less miles than our TL, so at 90k miles I felt like the used Ody Tranny was good bet.

Our Mechanic didn't need any shop manuals from me cause he had done other Honda/Acura Tranny replacements in the past, but I did provide him a printout of the AV6 swap PDF which was easy to find on-line..... Good luck with your swap!
Old 01-25-2017, 12:01 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Any shops in the SF Bay Area that have a good reputation for performing this transmission swap (specifically in the Silicon Valley area)? Will most shops also source the transmission, or is that something that I need to take on as a special research?
Old 01-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Intermediate

I was looking over the used transmission I have sitting here waiting for my mechanic to do the swap and I noticed that on the AV6, there is one part on the transmission that has blue bolts. Does that mean it has been rebuilt? Nowhere else on the transmission are there any blue bolts. The transmission has 82,500 miles on it.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Pro

I was looking over the used transmission I have sitting here waiting for my mechanic to do the swap and I noticed that on the AV6, there is one part on the transmission that has blue bolts. Does that mean it has been rebuilt? Nowhere else on the transmission are there any blue bolts. The transmission has 82,500 miles on it.
I also had blue bolts on my AV6 transmission. I have no idea if it was a rebuild, the car supposedly had less than 50K miles on it so if it already had a replacement, that doesn't bode well for the AV6. So, I dunno.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:09 PM
6th Gear

I was looking at 06-07 donner transmission for a tl-s swap and found there are 2 different transmission associated with different vin number of the Hondas they come out of. Does it matter which trans we get for the swap or should it be associated with the certain vin number? This is going for daughters 02 tl-s and may look for one for my 03 tl-s for when mine fails. Thanks
Old 02-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
You want the transmission to come from an '06 - '07 Accord V6 sedan or coupe, not the 4 cylinder or hybrid.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:26 PM
6th Gear

You want the transmission to come from an '06 - '07 Accord V6 sedan or coupe, not the 4 cylinder or hybrid.
Thanks. Was looking at the v6 trans and some say M vin and i think N vin. Wasnt sure if one designated a hybrid or something else.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Davek03tls
Thanks. Was looking at the v6 trans and some say M vin and i think N vin. Wasnt sure if one designated a hybrid or something else.
Yeah you want the non-hybrid, M (N is hybrid).
Old 02-04-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 1,015 Likes on 866 Posts
I would be wary of blue bolt AV6s..
Before I got mine a dude wanted to sell me a supposedly 2006 AV6 but the transmission was in fact from a 04, They look the same to the naked eye.
When you see a blue bolt AV6 better check the VIN Number in the transmission to see if it is a 06 and 07.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Skirmich
I would be wary of blue bolt AV6s..
Before I got mine a dude wanted to sell me a supposedly 2006 AV6 but the transmission was in fact from a 04, They look the same to the naked eye.
When you see a blue bolt AV6 better check the VIN Number in the transmission to see if it is a 06 and 07.
Where can you check the serial # to see what year it is?

Mine says:
BAYA - 9057516
Old 02-06-2017, 02:32 PM

VIN Number should be below the transmission name in a Green Metal pressed on badge below the starter.

Last edited by Skirmich; 02-06-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:41 PM

It is very hard to find a BAYA Picture with the VIN TAG but all Honda and Acura transmissions have this:
It is a replica of the vehicle VIN Number that the transmission came from.
If this has been removed be very careful as there is no way to know if the trans is a 06 or 07 unless you see it being removed from the car.
Mine was removed from the car the moment I bought it so it still has the VIN TAG for an 07 Accord V6.

Last edited by Skirmich; 02-06-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Pro

I see. I will take a look next time I can, right now the car is stuck in the snow a few hundred feet from the house. I don't remember it having a VIN attached though.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Yeah a lot of junkyards remove it for some reason... Guessing I would think is because they want to say it come from whatever year they want to sell it for, Without that you could be buying a 04 transmission as a 07 mainly because its Plug and Play and they will work the same.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Get a tc repair sleeve in advance

In the name of all that is holy... GET A TORQUE CONVERTER REPAIR SLEEVE IN ADVANCE if you are installing a used AV6 transmission with its included (used) torque converter. Odds are substantial that the included torque converter has wear marks on the input shaft that will soon lead to leaks. Best to nip this in the bud before you have to drop your transmission again down the road. For the life of me, this dinky little $20 sleeve (also sometimes called an input shaft repair sleeve) has delayed my repair for days due to its sparse availability and the inability of local parts stores to comprehend wtf part I'm talking about. I've been promised, ordered, and delivered three different sleeves, all ultimately for incorrect applications. Apparently the BAYA AV6 transmission I've sourced has a particularly unique diameter at the shaft (1.729" to be precise) and the only place to find this repair sleeve is clear across the purple mountains' majesty from where I live.

Of course, you could just shell out ~$150 for a new torque converter instead if you're not a cheapskate like me...
RONE (02-22-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:51 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Can anyone recommend a shop near Morristown, NJ who has done this swap ? Or a shop in Eastern Pennsylvania. I live in Reading, Pa and am considering having this swap done.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
See my thread... post #151...
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post15728061

there is a white sticker that has the transmission code BAYA/RAYA and some numbers... notice that the number starts with 3RAYA...

I initially bought what I assumed was an 06/07 AV6 transmission from a guy in CL... the green VIN ID tag was cut off... I was skeptic and my gut feel did serve me well... I called the guy back and after a few exchanges of words, he finally admitted that he was not sure which year it came from... I was lucky to get my money back being that it was bought from CL...

anyhow, when I finally found a transmission, the green metal id tag with the vin was intact and I did notice that the white sticker did say 6RAYA... so just based on that alone, it gave me an impression that it came from an 06... then I ran the VIN and it was indeed from an 06... hopefully this help you in any way...

been enjoying the car for 8mos now and not a problem with the transmission except for a minor shift shock when putting in reverse... but I guess that's part of me not cleaning the screens prior to installing the transmission... on its 1st year anniversary, I will do a tranny flush...

good luck...
Old 02-27-2017, 08:32 PM
10th Gear

I'm so confused...

I sourced a used BAYA transmission from a 2006 Honda Accord V6. This is confirmed by my inspection of the trans code on the white sticker, as well as a vin lookup of the junked Accord.

Everything was going smoothly until my reman torque converter arrived from rockauto. The bolt pattern on the TC doesn't match the pattern on my TL's flex plate. It's baffling. These measurements are difficult to attain precisely with my bummy tape measure, but the difference is stark. Measured from bolt-center to opposite bolt-center, the TL flexplate pattern is roughly 11 1/4"; the TC bolt pattern is 10 7/8". There is simply no way for me to bolt this reman TC to the stock flexplate on my vehicle.

Another note... I have seen admonishment after admonishment leveled against other posters that the TL converter is NOT to be reused. Use the TC that comes with the Accord trans, or "get a new one" seems the constant advice. Honestly though, the TCs from both the AV6 and the one from my TL are almost precisely identical, save one purely cosmetic difference in the shape of the nub that fits into the center of the flex plate (one is cone-ish, the other is rounded). What exactly is the big problem people fear if one tries to use the TL's TC? I would think some sort of rubbing? I've tested it by hand... The TL's TC is not rubbing at all, near as I can tell.

That said, I'm still getting a new TC either way. My check engine light indicated a problem with the TC, so I definitely want to replace it while I'm in here. That said, I'm starting to believe I should order a TC listed as a fit for the TL, since that one seems to match my AV6 TC so precisely.

Any insights are much appreciated. P1923 TC is smaller than TL flexplate
TL and junk AV6 TCs are both a flush match with flexplate's diameter
Old 02-27-2017, 11:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You dont use the old TC because its loaded up with crud from your failed clutches, the reason you had to change trans!

Its better to get a new or rebuilt one than chance ruining your swap. There must be a year difference or similar causing the problem
Rockauto may not be the authority on this part, not the first time a part is close but

A transmission rebuilding shop can hook you up correctly, maybe have the equipment to clean the old TC? guessing
Or have the correct unit and send rock its wrong part back

Take your pics and measurements to the shop
Operationalist (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 11:54 PM

And also both TCs are not identical.. At least in my case the AV6 TC was considerably smaller yet more efficient than the TL... Car accelerates way more consistently and burning through all 1st gear and 2nd has never been easier on the stock tire size.
Operationalist (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Pro

Huh interesting Operationalist. So does this new TC match the old one in the BAYA tranny? From reading through the tranny swap threads it seems like anybody using the '06/'07 has no problem, but there was one poster who used an older Accord tranny, I can't remember the year but maybe '05, and he had the same issue as you - the bolt pattern was too small.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:54 AM
10th Gear

My best guess

Originally Posted by Skirmich
And also both TCs are not identical.. At least in my case the AV6 TC was considerably smaller yet more efficient than the TL... Car accelerates way more consistently and burning through all 1st gear and 2nd has never been easier on the stock tire size.
I'm a bit bummed to hear that the AV6 converter is perhaps more efficient, considering I may not be able to use it. Skirmich, did you have to modify or swap out your flexplate in any way to get this smaller TC to fit properly?

Thanks to you both anyway. I kept reading last night and my best guess is that BAYA transmissions may come in two sizes, strange as that seems. Another unlucky soul on HT forum stated that he tried installing an "AV6 converter" (which I presume to be the D1923 or HO26 [aftermarket parts] or 26000RGL345 [OEM part]) on his reman AV6 transmission and destroyed the trans due to rubbing in the bell housing. Oddly though, no mention whether he had to modify or swap out his flex plate to complete this install of what I'm presuming was the same slightly smaller TC that I received.

On his next attempt, he apparently used a TL-style converter (presumably D1925 [aftermarket]) and was successful. I'm 90% convinced I have to do the same for mine, but it's reassuring that the reason for replacing the TL converter is because the old one is dirty as 01tl4tl says, as opposed to mechanical deficiencies in the TL's TC design. Assuming there is no mechanical interference between the bell housing and a NEW TL torque converter when I spin it by hand, I'm going to assume I'm good to go. I'll repost with an update if my car doesn't explode.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:01 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Huh interesting Operationalist. So does this new TC match the old one in the BAYA tranny? From reading through the tranny swap threads it seems like anybody using the '06/'07 has no problem, but there was one poster who used an older Accord tranny, I can't remember the year but maybe '05, and he had the same issue as you - the bolt pattern was too small.
Hey SuperGreg. The new TC from rock does not match the old one in the BAYA tranny. I came across that same post you're referring to last night. He did say the trans was an '05... Somewhere around page 4 or 5 of this thread, and indeed it struck a chord. I set off trying to confirm that I was given the right trans from a genuine 2006 or 2007. Carfax report using the VIN stamped on the trans itself confirms that the car this trans is sourced from is a 2006 Honda Accord EX V6.

I'm starting to worry that maybe some early '06s got leftover trannys that were laying around from the '05 stock.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Operationalist
I'm a bit bummed to hear that the AV6 converter is perhaps more efficient, considering I may not be able to use it. Skirmich, did you have to modify or swap out your flexplate in any way to get this smaller TC to fit properly?

Thanks to you both anyway. I kept reading last night and my best guess is that BAYA transmissions may come in two sizes, strange as that seems. Another unlucky soul on HT forum stated that he tried installing an "AV6 converter" (which I presume to be the D1923 or HO26 [aftermarket parts] or 26000RGL345 [OEM part]) on his reman AV6 transmission and destroyed the trans due to rubbing in the bell housing. Oddly though, no mention whether he had to modify or swap out his flex plate to complete this install of what I'm presuming was the same slightly smaller TC that I received.

On his next attempt, he apparently used a TL-style converter (presumably D1925 [aftermarket]) and was successful. I'm 90% convinced I have to do the same for mine, but it's reassuring that the reason for replacing the TL converter is because the old one is dirty as 01tl4tl says, as opposed to mechanical deficiencies in the TL's TC design. Assuming there is no mechanical interference between the bell housing and a NEW TL torque converter when I spin it by hand, I'm going to assume I'm good to go. I'll repost with an update if my car doesn't explode.
I did the swap with the help of a buddy that owns a Transmission Shop, I go the trans from LA to SD in my MDX

Then I ordered a Remanufactured TC giving the one in the AV6 as Core, The TC code was different than the TL it was "8F" Something I cant recall the exact number now but the dimensions comparing them side by side the AV6 was slightly shorter in depth and not as big on the OD.. Flexplate Holes were exactly the same so we didn´t have any issues with fitting.

I believe that the issue with guys that cant fit the AV6 TC is because they are not getting the one made in 06 & 07.. Perhaps they are buying a 06 that was made in late 05 that has a different TC that does not fit the flexplate as another member tried to use a 05 AV6 trans and got the same fitting issues... Mine was a 07 and I was there when they got it out of the Accord so it wasn´t a sitting core..

So maybe the issue is that the TC has to come from an AV6 BUILT in 2006 or 2007... If you get a 2006 AV6 Trans, You are likely to get a late 2005 made trans that still used an incompatible TC for our Swap.

Last edited by Skirmich; 02-28-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:45 PM
10th Gear

Lightbulb Calling all reman TC users

If you were somehow able to dig up the receipt for your order of the reman TC I would be forever grateful for the part number you used.

I'm considering starting from scratch and sourcing another transmission, preferably from an '07 Accord. Problem is that the reman TC I recently ordered definitely did not fit my flexplate as yours did. Thus, ordering another TC for an '07 with the part number I used last would lead me to the same problem I've just had here. In fact, anyone who opted for a new TC, please let me know where you ordered it, and if you have a part number. Many thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Operationalist

If you were somehow able to dig up the receipt for your order of the reman TC I would be forever grateful for the part number you used.

I'm considering starting from scratch and sourcing another transmission, preferably from an '07 Accord. Problem is that the reman TC I recently ordered definitely did not fit my flexplate as yours did. Thus, ordering another TC for an '07 with the part number I used last would lead me to the same problem I've just had here. In fact, anyone who opted for a new TC, please let me know where you ordered it, and if you have a part number. Many thanks.
So, just so I have this correct - the NEW TC does not fit. Does the old TC from the AV6 fit the flex plate? If the only issue is the new reman TC, maybe they just sent you the wrong one. Or am I missing something? I'm just wondering how a different transmission would help if the only issue is the new reman TC.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:57 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
So, just so I have this correct - the NEW TC does not fit. Does the old TC from the AV6 fit the flex plate? If the only issue is the new reman TC, maybe they just sent you the wrong one. Or am I missing something? I'm just wondering how a different transmission would help if the only issue is the new reman TC.
You have it correct. It makes no sense. I ordered a TC listed by rockauto as a proper fit for a 2006 Honda Accord V6, and was delivered something that does not match the bolt pattern of the AV6's original TC OR my TL's TC and flexplate. To boot, the AV6's original TC absolutely DOES match the bolt pattern of the flexplate.

I wound up on the phone with remanufacturer Transmaxx and they insisted this part was manufactured correctly to their specs after going over measurements of the bolt pattern on the new TC with me.

In my mind this leaves two possibilities: (1) Transmaxx has incorrect specs for the AV6 TC bolt pattern and is manufacturing units so; or (2) my TL has some sort of whacked out custom job at the trans which included a new and larger flexplate, PLUS I wound up buying a very rare AV6 trans with a TC that just so happens to fit this larger flexplate.

Both explanations seem equally unlikely to me. I'm pulling my hair out over this. Anyone who has part numbers or bolt pattern measurements for any of the parts involved so I can compare for my own sake is a saint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap'