AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap' (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/faq-06-07-av6-transmission-swap-905115/)

666wokker 02-13-2014 04:57 PM

FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap'

FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Swap

First, I would like to thank NVA-AV6 (Paul) for the info posted so long ago that made this swap a reality beyond theory.

History:

I first found out about this swap here on Acurazine a couple years ago. At the time there was not as much information on here as there is now, so it took quite a bit of research to dig up the information I needed to equip myself with to do this job. However, I did manage to find everything needed, and realized, this only sounds more intimidating than it really is!

So I bit the bullet and got everything I needed to do it, as the 03 TL I 'just bought' had a blown trans, and I wanted it fixed RIGHT!

I did the swap, and it worked perfectly!

I've been getting alot of questions over the last couple years on how to do this job, and over the last couple years I have done 6 swaps for people, all of which were successful!

And now, on to the info!

REQUIREMENTS

First, this only bolts on to a 00-03 TL, the 99 has a 4 speed trans and totally different wiring harnesses and ECU. *IF* you wanted it to work on a 99, you would have to change out the engine/trans wiring harnesses, dashboard harnesses and ECU..... At that point you may as well swap in a 6mt for negligibly more $$$.

Second, The AV6 trans you will need to source is from the 06-07 v6 3.0 Accord, coupe or sedan does not matter, just make REAL sure the trans is a 5at from a 3.0 v6!

Third, get everything you need for the swap in advance! It makes it alot less brutal when you don't have to source a part or gasket in the middle of the job!

Now, let's get to what needs to be done!
Oh, and I am going to assume you know how to take a trans out and put one in, because THAT is a whole other FAQ!

Items needed to 'swap'!

FIRST The trans harness from the AV6 trans will not work, it has a different connector to tie into the engine harness, you have to use the one from the TL - this harness connects to the trans temp sensor and clutch pressure switch.

AV6 Diagram:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...01_atm1710.png

^...#17 is what needs to come off the AV6 trans---^

TL Diagram:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...01_atm1710.png

^...#16 is what you need to keep and swap to the AV6 trans in place of #17 in the AV6 diagram.---^

SECOND The oil warmer on the top of the AV6 trans is not the same as the TL, it has different size coolant hoses than the TL, and they are pointed in the wrong directions for a 'bolt on' replacement. It is much easier to simply take the assembly off the TL trans and transplant it to the AV6 trans.

Don't let this part hinder your efforts, they both interchange perfectly without any modifications! Make sure to clean the gasket off very carefully, as putting trash into fluid passages is BAD!

*** This is the 'hardest' part of this swap, and it's not hard! ***

AV6 Diagrams:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...dn01_atm17.png

^...In this diagram it shows the ATF warmer (#1), filter assembly, and lines (#'s 11, 7, 22, 21, 10, 24, 12, 15, 26, 20, 6, 13, 14)- remove these from the AV6 trans.---^

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...dn01_atm12.png

^...In this diagram is the assembly the ATF warmer bolts to (#'s 6, 22, 10, 21, 9, 23, 24) - remove these from the AV6 trans.---^

TL Diagrams:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...0k01_atm17.png

^...In this diagram it shows the ATF warmer (#1), filter (#9 - Buy a new one!!!!) and lines (12, 13), remove these from the TL trans, clean them out REAL GOOD, and save to install on the AV6 trans - now, chances are, you have an oil jet kit installed in place of the direct line from the filter to the back of the trans - that's okay! Just cut the oil jet kit out of the lines, flare the cut lines and install a hose in it's place between the 2 cut lines, just make sure your hose is long enough to make it all the way around - just eyeball it based on the original length of the line. Either that or just buy the new lines without the oil jet kit in-between.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...0k01_atm12.png

^...In this diagram is the passage body (#'s 23 ,24, 25-(Buy this gasket new!!!), 26, 27, 28, 29) the ATF warmer and filter bolt on - remove this and save to install on the AV6 trans.---^

THIRD The trans range switch from the AV6 trans will not work, it has a different connector than the TL range switch - take the one off the TL trans, and install it on the AV6 trans.

AV6 Diagram:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...dn01_atm13.png

^...In this diagram #'s 5, 27, and 28 need to come off the AV6 trans...^

TL Diagram:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...0k01_atm13.png

^...In this diagram #'s 5 and 25 need to come off the TL trans and be installed on the AV6 trans - It does need to be adjusted to read the gears correctly, do this after the job is mostly done and the car can be turned on, key on-engine off....^

FOURTH - For TL-p only! You will need to loop the lines coming off the rack going to the power steering assist assembly on the TL trans, the AV6 trans does not have the hole in it for the sensor.

TL Diagram:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...0k01_atm17.png

# 16 is the sensor assembly - cut the lines off the sensor and install a 2-way barb fitting between the lines with clamps, or take the lines off the rack and install 1 line looped...^

Here's a pic of what it'll look like looped on the rack

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/.../WP_000062.jpg

ALWAYS REMEMBER! NEVER REUSE YOUR OLD TL TORQUE CONVERTER!

ALWAYS use the AV6 torque converter that was supplied with the trans, or buy a new one!

That's it! Nothing more to it, direct bolt-on, little to no modification, just a bit of parts swapping between the two transmissions!

MarcDavidoff 02-13-2014 05:50 PM

Nice write up! Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Memphlow 02-13-2014 05:54 PM

Good stuff. This consolidation was much needed.

Nizmo_max 02-13-2014 08:56 PM

One question about the torque converter on the av6..do i need to replace that or can i use the one that came with the av6 tranny?

again thank you for this..i will need this guide in the following days..:)

Memphlow 02-13-2014 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nizmo_max (Post 14876976)
One question about the torque converter on the av6..do i need to replace that or can i use the one that came with the av6 tranny?

again thank you for this..i will need this guide in the following days..:)

You don't need to replace it. You should use the one that is with the AV6 unless you want to purchase a new one for the AV6.

666wokker 02-13-2014 09:31 PM

Always use the torque converter that come with the AV6 trans, or buy a new one!

NEVER REUSE YOUR TL TORQUE CONVERTER!!!!!!!!

03blackbeast 02-14-2014 11:10 AM

This is the best write up ever. So helpful!

03blackbeast 02-14-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 666wokker (Post 14876722)
FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Swap

TL Diagrams:

Click the image to open in full size.

^...In this diagram it shows the ATF warmer (#1), filter (#9 - Buy a new one!!!!) and lines (12, 13), remove these from the TL trans, clean them out REAL GOOD, and save to install on the AV6 trans - now, chances are, you have an oil jet kit installed in place of the direct line from the filter to the back of the trans - that's okay! Just cut the oil jet kit out of the lines, flare the cut lines and install a hose in it's place between the 2 cut lines, just make sure your hose is long enough to make it all the way around - just eyeball it based on the original length of the line. Either that or just buy the new lines without the oil jet kit in-between.[/SIZE][/B]

So I'm doing this swap tomorrow. Trying to pick up the filter you were talking about here. Dealership is quoting me $50 for it. Is that right? Seems a bit steep for a dinky filter. Anyone know the part number?

Memphlow 02-14-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 03blackbeast (Post 14877794)
So I'm doing this swap tomorrow. Trying to pick up the filter you were talking about here. Dealership is quoting me $50 for it. Is that right? Seems a bit steep for a dinky filter. Anyone know the part number?

If you are talking about the spin on filter they are like $30 at AutoZone.

03blackbeast 02-14-2014 01:30 PM

Yeah the spin on filter with 2 bolts and gaskets. It's black. Do you have a part number for that? Also, do I need a new tranny housing gasket?

3.2TLc 02-14-2014 03:39 PM

............'06>'07 AV6 Bolt-In Tranny Replacement............

Thanks to 666wokker for taking the time and effort to assist his fellow 'Ziners !!! :)

This is a very detailed "FAQ" for our 2nd Gen TL's biggest issue and the best resolution......bolt in an AV6 tranny from an '06>'07 Accord V6.

* {Mods} : Please sticky this thread for easy access. "thanks"

666wokker 02-14-2014 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by 03blackbeast (Post 14877794)

Yes, that is what the dealership charges.

I wouldn't go with anything else though, it's steep, but OEM quality is truly the best.

GraveDigger 02-14-2014 07:53 PM

Looks like Im going to be doing the swap soon. I found a few trannys ranging from 500-750. So other then the filter and fluid is that all that I will need to do the swap? Going to do the 3x3 and see if it helps before I spend the money and time but I want to be prepared to get hit in the pocket.

Memphlow 02-15-2014 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 03blackbeast (Post 14877891)
Yeah the spin on filter with 2 bolts and gaskets. It's black. Do you have a part number for that? Also, do I need a new tranny housing gasket?

Part Number: TF558 $23.99

I don't believe it comes with bolts and gasket?

03blackbeast 02-16-2014 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Memphlow (Post 14878924)
Part Number: TF558 $23.99

I don't believe it comes with bolts and gasket?

I picked it up the other night at Autozone. It's jut the filter itself. No bolts or gaskets.

RONE 02-16-2014 09:06 PM

Thank you for taking the time to type this up. Very useful.

My one request would be that all the diagrams/pictures be re-hosted on this forum, in case the outside URL's get changed.

the-G-ride 02-17-2014 11:00 AM

Wow! This has got to be one of the best DIY's I've ever seen. Very detailed and useful information. I thought it was a bit harder then what it actually is but now thanks to you, I can see its not that difficult at all. :thumbsup:

I was leaning towards a 6mt swap seeing as how my 3rd trans is on its way out, but I kept putting it off due to the overall price and difficulty of sourcing parts. I can get the AV6 trans up and running in a few hours and it won't break the bank.

Well now I know where my tax return is going :wish:

nb_exit9er 02-17-2014 11:25 PM

Sticky please!

3.2TLc 02-18-2014 07:08 AM

Simply "PM" the moderator with your request !!! :)

Stephen00TL 02-18-2014 07:10 AM

Nice job I would also recommend replacing the rear main seal while you are doing the swap

headphones 02-18-2014 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 666wokker (Post 14876722)
Oh, and I am going to assume you know how to take a trans out and put one in, because THAT is a whole other FAQ!

First post, thanks to everyone for this great site. It's been a heck of a resource for me as an '01 TL owner.

Aside from the steps noted (harness, torque converter swaps), is there anything about swapping on a TL that would make it any different from any other transmission swap (aside from the lack of room that every Honda ever made provides)? I understand the basic steps of swapping any transmission, but I know that there are a lot of odds-and-ends that make a TL a "luxury" vehicle, which your standard Ford sedan (or what have you) wouldn't have.

Thanks in advance.

666wokker 02-18-2014 07:10 PM

4th gear is a lot shorter, better acceleration for passing without downshifting.

As far as anything else, its a straight take out, put in.

Memphlow 02-21-2014 11:19 AM

Filter Choice Observation....

I wanted to bring an observation to the forum members attention that will provide insight into a question that has been floating around. It is regarding the transmission filter choice. I have noticed in most write ups it is suggested that ithe TL spin on filter is retained. I for one decided to keep the AV6 filter set up. My reasoning was centered around cost and overall value more so than functionality or quality. My assumption is that both will filter the transmission as designed, however the cost for one filter is extremely more expensive than the other:

Memphlow 02-21-2014 11:48 AM

I wanted to bring an observation to the forum members attention that will provide insight into a question that has been floating around. It is regarding the transmission filter choice. I have noticed in most write ups it is suggested that ithe TL spin on filter is retained. I for one decided to keep the AV6 filter set up. My reasoning was centered around cost and overall value more so than functionality or quality. It only took 25-30 minutes to change the filter while in my car. This was about the same experience for the spin on filter. My assumption is that both will filter the transmission as designed, however the cost for one filter is extremely more expensive than the other:

AV6 Aftermarket Filter: $7-$8.99
TL Aftermarket Filter: $20-$30.00

AV6 OEM Filter: $25-$35.00
TL OEM Filter: $35-$50.00

I have no insight into the quality of OEM versus aftermarket so use this info as you see fit.

Memphlow 02-21-2014 11:58 AM

Pictures of filter side by side

1 Attachment(s)
I transferred the rubber insert to the new filter so it appears taller.

03blackbeast 02-24-2014 12:39 PM

Hey just wanted to give a testimonial for this FAQ sheet. I took my TL in with the AV6, 10 quarts of DW-1, rear main seal, cooler filter, and internal filter and got it back this past Thursday. I printed off the FAQ sheet and my mechanic followed it exactly. There's been no problems so far and my TL has never shifted smoother. This really works.

d0ch0l1d4y 02-24-2014 03:04 PM

pics?

Maybe i'm internetting wrong...but I can't see any of the diagrams in the writeup...

Is it because i'm a new member or because i'm technologically deficient?

Love this site by the way....

GraveDigger 02-24-2014 05:28 PM

Im in the same situation 03Blackbeast was a week ago. I printed the FAQ for the mechanic and he said Oh... going to be more if I have to crack the case. I told him that he shouldnt have to crack the case as everything as far as I could read was just simple bolt ons. After totaling to almost 1600 so far I hope Im right!

Memphlow 02-24-2014 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by GraveDigger (Post 14893427)
Im in the same situation 03Blackbeast was a week ago. I printed the FAQ for the mechanic and he said Oh... going to be more if I have to crack the case. I told him that he shouldnt have to crack the case as everything as far as I could read was just simple bolt ons. After totaling to almost 1600 so far I hope Im right!

You are right man.... no case cracking required. Swap the parts, add fluid put it in the car. Enjoy

03blackbeast 02-25-2014 07:50 AM

I'll second what Memphlow said. My mechanic called part way through the swap to tell me I'd lose power steering so I walked him through finding the actual pump on the motor and explaining the secondary pump on the tranny and he realized he was wrong. Don't be surprised if you get the same call haha. Everything is bolt on parts.

yody 02-25-2014 08:33 PM

I just picked up a low mileage trans today from a 2006 Accord v6 4dr LX. Was salvaged in 08, no mileage but I can't imagine it being more than maybe 15K if that. Got it for $700 OTD. Lot of surface rust on steel parts tho from sitting in the dismantlers wherehouse. They have another low mileage unit for same price if anyone needs it:

http://www.supercarpart.com/contact.html

So do we need to swap the shift solenoids and all other solenoids/sensors or use the ones that came on the AV6?

03blackbeast 02-25-2014 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by yody (Post 14895800)
I just picked up a low mileage trans today from a 2006 Accord v6 4dr LX. Was salvaged in 08, no mileage but I can't imagine it being more than maybe 15K if that. Got it for $700 OTD. Lot of surface rust on steel parts tho from sitting in the dismantlers wherehouse. They have another low mileage unit for same price if anyone needs it:

http://www.supercarpart.com/contact.html

So do we need to swap the shift solenoids and all other solenoids/sensors or use the ones that came on the AV6?

Just follow everything on the FAQ sheet word for word. Don't touch any of the sensors or solenoids. Just switch the stuff it says to here and be done with it.

yody 02-25-2014 09:13 PM

Looks like I have to swap the main shift solenoid (the one with two plugs on top of tranny). One of the plug housings is broken from the stupid salvage yard. Looks identical to my old one.

yody 02-25-2014 09:15 PM

and I think I"m gonna keep the AV6 filter, I like the idea of being able to inspect the filter without having to cut open a housing. Looks like its bigger with more surface area too.

yody 02-25-2014 09:30 PM

little disappointing too because I felt my old trans shifted a little clunky and was looking forward to smoother shifting. I'm fearing using the old solenoid set, it will shift the same as before :(

Memphlow 02-25-2014 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by yody (Post 14895857)
and I think I"m gonna keep the AV6 filter, I like the idea of being able to inspect the filter without having to cut open a housing. Looks like its bigger with more surface area too.

Good call. It is the same filter without the metal canister as it is cast on the transmission on the AV6. I inspected both the OEM and Aftermarket and they appear to be exactly the same. Advance Auto readily stocks them for $7.50 each.

timc2 02-26-2014 02:04 PM

Great thread .. great info .. thanks! Now if I can just find a tranny and a shop that will do it!!

3.2TLc 02-26-2014 03:25 PM

Check around locally at the salvage yards for a donor "AV6" tranny.
Oftentimes they can refer you to mechanics in the area who could do the replacement.
Good luck !!! :)

yody 03-01-2014 02:01 AM

Super Bummed, spent all day swapping trannys, even filled it up with Redline d4. Fired it up and it has a terrible bearing noise. Put it in drive and the noise completely goes away, back in park and you hear the noise loudly. Go drive it and it shifts and runs amazing, when you're on the gas you can't hear the noise, but as soon as you left of the gas and coast you can instantly hear this loud whirring bearing noise.

Really bummed, it was a lot of work doing the swap. I'm thinking something must be wrong with the tranny, maybe the donor car was creamed hard and it tweaked something internally. I'll spend some more time with it tomorrow

3.2TLc 03-01-2014 07:12 AM

Did the tranny appear damaged in any way ? Was the AV6 converter attached to the donor tranny ?