evap Code P1457

Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evap Code P1457

atA local shop ran an evap test on my 03 tl type s and it came back saying something on top of gas tank, sounds strange to me but
they are great guys that I trust1 looking for ideas of what it might be!! they will be doing the work soon just wondering if it might be something I could do myself?
any ideas what it might be?
Thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by black03
atA local shop ran an evap test on my 03 tl type s and it came back saying something on top of gas tank, sounds strange to me but
they are great guys that I trust1 looking for ideas of what it might be!! they will be doing the work soon just wondering if it might be something I could do myself?
any ideas what it might be?
Thanks
FWIW: Check engine light triggered this past Tuesday, on my 2003 TLS.234,225K. P1457, (EVAP System Leak Detected: Canister area), I Researched the issue on this site yesterday. The problem, Most Likely, is Not, "on top of gas tank", as stated by your local shop, probably for layman simplicity purposes. A more likely cause, may be a leak at one of the four hoses attached to the canister, or, the (shut off valve) mechanism itself, which is attached to the canister by two Phillips head screws. It seams the shut off valve is a common failure on 2G TL models, especially where road salt is used for snow and ice control. I found a nearly new canister and shut off valve, at my local pick-n-pull today, total cost = $10.90, The shut off valve, can be tested, on or off the car, using a simple 9 volt battery. Energizing the solenoid, reveals a "click" type noise, which tells you it's working. The canister assembly is mounted to the body, at the left rear, forward of the l/r wheel. To remove the canister and solenoid, the left rear of the car must be raised, easier if left rear wheel is removed as well. The charcoal canister has four various size hoses connected to it, as well as one electrical connector, and can be easily removed, provided you have 1/4" drive ratchet, 10mm, and 12mm sockets, a medium extension, and a pair of pliers. I removed one today. It took approximately 5 minutes. Of course. the car i removed it from was already "off the ground" I'm not certain it's relevant, but other contributors to this site have made two recommendations: 1. DO NOT tighten the gas cap more than three clicks! 2. NEVER continue fueling you car, after the automatic nozzle shuts off! This past Tuesday, after reading the P1457 code, i reset the ecu, and the check engine light went out. I have only driven 48 since, but so far, the light has not come back on. Just curious to see how long it takes to trigger the code again. NOTE: I've owned this car for 37K miles and was always curious as to why, when removing my gas cap, I never heard a "whoosh" type noise, indicating a vacuum in the tank. My other Acura cars all made the noise???

Search this Thread