Drive for 50min, shut engine off for 20min, really hard to start or not at all.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:19 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive for 50min, shut engine off for 20min, really hard to start or not at all.

If I drive for over 50min and turn the engine off and leave it off for more than 20min it will not start or have a hell of a time starting. Once I do get it started, it idles really low, if I shut it off and start it up again, not only does it start fine but the idle issue is completely gone.

The car also starts easy if it sits for at least two hours. It took me a while to figure out when the car wouldn't start but I've got it down to a science now: either driving the car for more than 45-50min and trying to start it after leaving it off for 20-25min; or if the weather is really hot out, starting can also be an issue even after a short 10min drive, that said, I recorded some video after a 50min drive today:
I even managed to get it started at 1m18sec but you can see that the idle is really low - sorry about the angle, I was trying to get exterior sound too (turned out to be useless).

After lots and lots of googling I've replaced my TPS (actually got an entirely new and cleaned TB since the TPS is freaking bolted in), my main fuel pump relay, brand new intake cone, used fuel system cleaners but nothing has helped at all.

Searching around even more so, I've seen people say it's heat soak causing "vapor lock" but there is no solution except to name that diagnosis. Any insight at all would be a tremendous help, I've been ripping out my hair on this one for months - thank you so much in advance for any replies!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:08 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
There is a solution AFAIK you have to replace the Gasoline Regulator.
IIRC This is a problem due to some winter gas blends and the Gas Regulator not pressurizing the system enough... I believe its a problem with early 2000-2001 models?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Same issue 99 TL. The engine doesn't want to start when hot..
Old 12-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have this same issue in my '03. I checked some threads on this issue but the answers/solutions are all over the place.

Is it the Fuel pressure relay or ..? Anyone have any updates on the fix for this?

I only get the issue if I make short, frequent trips, and usually just brief stumbling/rough idle for a minute. Yesterday was the first day where the engine refused to turn over until I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. I had also just filled the tank up, which is something that 01acls mentioned is a contributing factor. I imagine that everywhere around here is on winter blend fuels by now (Utah).

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks everybody.

Search this Thread