DIY - Exhaust Hanging Too Low? Cheap Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Regional Coordinator (SoCal)

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
Thumbs up DIY - Exhaust Hanging Too Low? Cheap Fix!

Ever stare at your exhaust and wonder why one side is hanging lower than the other? Does it irritate you to the point where you want to do something about it but you don't want to spend alot just for a small problem (that's only for aesthetics)? Look no further! If you have $2.95 and a few simple tools, you can fix this problem in no time!

I know there are several threads out there that already has the solution to this problem, but no one ever includes pictures or a clear write up. So that's what I'm here for since I just finished putting my stock exhaust back on (and the right side hangs stupidly lower than the left side).

Run to your local auto parts store or home improvement store and buy a radiator hose clamp. I got mine at Autozone and it came in a pack of 2 for $2.69, tax included: $2.95. And remember, size does matter! The radiator hose clamps I purchased were 1.75" - 2.75" (46,0-69,8mm) <- what it says on the box.

[TOOLS NEEDED]
1) flathead screwdriver
2) car or racing jack (racing jack does the job faster)
3) dirty rag/towel
4) radiator hose clamp | 1.75" - 2.75" (46,0-69,8mm)

Here's a pic of the radiator hose clamps I purchased at Autozone:

[FIRST STEP]
Use a car or racing jack and place it directly underneath the exhaust with a dirty rag on top (to protect from scratches or dents). Raise the exhaust to the desired height you are looking for.

[SECOND STEP]
Unscrew the radiator hose clamp almost to the point where it's about to fall out and squeeze the clamp into an oval shape (the shape of the rubber hangers).

[THIRD STEP]
Get under the car and simply fit the radiator hose clamp around the rubber hanger that is closest to the front of the exhaust (there are 2 rubber hangers, one in the back of the exhaust and one in the front). You'll really have to look under the car to find it! Start tightening the clamp with a flathead screwdriver. You'll have to tighten the clamp until it gets harder to tighten, that's when you know where to stop cause you'll be at the desired height!

Should look like this after when looking underneath!

[FINAL STEP]
Lower the car or racing jack and take a few steps back and check to see if it's even. If it's not, simply go back under the car and loosen/tighten to go lower or higher. You won't be needing the car or racing jack anymore since the exhaust is substantially sitting higher than before. Here's how mine turned out!

ENJOY! NO MORE UNLEVELED EXHAUST!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:03 PM

Here's a before pic, just to give you guys an idea. Not my car but it was basically how I was sitting.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
i have the same problem. what a simple fix!

nice write up
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've heard of some hose clamps breaking after a while. Can you let us know how they hold up?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 PM

^i can see how that would happen. never heard of it breaking but i'll look into that. i think it'll break only cause there's so much tension from the rubber hanger (putting more stress on the clamp since the rubber hanger is supposed to hang freely). rubber hangers makes an up and down motion when the car goes over bumps and that can possibly be how it breaks.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was just my exhaust that was uneven. I made them almost perfectly even when I put on my 3A tips by letting some screws loose and others tight. Took me like an hour to remove my rusted exhaust tip bolts and get the tips to be even looking.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did this on my 3G a year ago and the clamps are holding up just fine.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by finalcross
I thought it was just my exhaust that was uneven. I made them almost perfectly even when I put on my 3A tips by letting some screws loose and others tight. Took me like an hour to remove my rusted exhaust tip bolts and get the tips to be even looking.
lol nope. it happens quite alot with hondas.

Originally Posted by 08A-SPEC
I did this on my 3G a year ago and the clamps are holding up just fine.
glad to hear, i guess it depends what kinda quality clamps you get.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i got mines at OSH. had them on for about two maybe three months already. works fine for me
Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
or you could fix it right and replace the rubber piece that's worn out and bend the arm on the muffler that goes into rubber piece. But hey if shade tree half ass repairs are fine for you more power too ya, You won't see that half assed shit on my car.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 AM

^ i wouldn't really call it a half-ass job, it does its job quite well. bending the arm would require a torch, and that's what the exhaust shop did to my tsudo's so that they could hang lower and not tug up against the back of my rear bumper. i've already tried people's suggestions on banging the living shit out of the arms that goes in the rubber hangers, but no luck.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by xtremex626
^ i wouldn't really call it a half-ass job, it does its job quite well. bending the arm would require a torch, and that's what the exhaust shop did to my tsudo's so that they could hang lower and not tug up against the back of my rear bumper. i've already tried people's suggestions on banging the living shit out of the arms that goes in the rubber hangers, but no luck.

maybe use a combination wrench and a pry bar through the box end of it to bend the arm, works wonders and you don't need a torch, but if your a weakling then you might have some trouble if the pry bar isn't large enough. Tricks of the trade twenty somethings don't usually catch on too.

ooooooooppps sorry my bad teenagers
Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
^^ugh....you again?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by rcb2000
maybe use a combination wrench and a pry bar through the box end of it to bend the arm, works wonders and you don't need a torch, but if your a weakling then you might have some trouble if the pry bar isn't large enough. Tricks of the trade twenty somethings don't usually catch on too.

ooooooooppps sorry my bad teenagers
i'm sorry we didn't think of that, you're just too clever
Old 12-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Racer

There's suddenly lots of hostility in this thread...
Old 12-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, no half-ass shit, only "full" stool on my car!

/s

But seriously, I think it's an ingenius idea! It is a problem that applies to me (and many others) and this is a great solution for it.

Besides, the replaced rubber piece would give way over time, this keeps the piece from stretching.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
There's no need for that rcb2000. One thing is voicing your opinion, which I have no problem with because everyone is entitled to that, but another thing is just being a complete a$$hole about it and calling people weaklings and such. I don't understand what's the point of that.

OP, that seems like a great idea. I actually noticed that one of my mufflers are a bit lower than the other, so I'm going to try it out. Seems like a simple solution.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
or you could fix it right and replace the rubber piece that's worn out and bend the arm on the muffler that goes into rubber piece. But hey if shade tree half ass repairs are fine for you more power too ya, You won't see that half assed shit on my car.
You're still trolling around? I'm tired of reading your half-ass, poorly written, arrogant responses. You are a straight up 30-something asshole who thinks what he knows is better than every other member here. Newsflash douchebag, no cares what you have to say and your "knowledge" is never 100% correct.

I said this to you before, these forums are not for rude, insulting bullshit that you enjoy posting to get a rise out of people in any thread you post in. There is not a damn thing wrong with a cheap fix that actually resolves an issue. It's under the car anyway so who the fuck is going to see it?

I have a challenge for you. Since you know so much about our cars and your car only receives the best of the best, how about your post some pictures of this nice ride you have. I bet it's a real looker with some solid additions under the hood right? You probably have her looking so mint that you'd win awards in any car show you enter, am I on the money?

Feel free to post up or shut the fuck up. Go find some redneck, unmoderated troll-town forum where you can run wild like the lowbrow piece of dirt you probably are. I may be a tad hypocritical with all the insults I'm throwing your way, but I like to make a nice exception from my general beliefs from time to time.

OP GOOD JOB WITH THE FIX, CAR LOOKS GREAT
Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
i did this

replaced rubber hangers to new oem honda ones then used those clamps as ATLP mufflers are rather...

heavy.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Flagship Aspec

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMegalodon
You're still trolling around? I'm tired of reading your half-ass, poorly written, arrogant responses. You are a straight up 30-something asshole who thinks what he knows is better than every other member here. Newsflash douchebag, no cares what you have to say and your "knowledge" is never 100% correct.

I said this to you before, these forums are not for rude, insulting bullshit that you enjoy posting to get a rise out of people in any thread you post in. There is not a damn thing wrong with a cheap fix that actually resolves an issue. It's under the car anyway so who the fuck is going to see it?

I have a challenge for you. Since you know so much about our cars and your car only receives the best of the best, how about your post some pictures of this nice ride you have. I bet it's a real looker with some solid additions under the hood right? You probably have her looking so mint that you'd win awards in any car show you enter, am I on the money?

Feel free to post up or shut the fuck up. Go find some redneck, unmoderated troll-town forum where you can run wild like the lowbrow piece of dirt you probably are. I may be a tad hypocritical with all the insults I'm throwing your way, but I like to make a nice exception from my general beliefs from time to time.

OP GOOD JOB WITH THE FIX, CAR LOOKS GREAT

WHOOOSA!

it is kinda hack though, i ended up cutting the tab on the muffler, shortening it and re-welding to get the right weight. i guess its easier with keys to a shop and ability,

for the ingenuity to get it done on the cheap!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 PM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jjashaa
i did this

replaced rubber hangers to new oem honda ones then used those clamps as ATLP mufflers are rather...

heavy.
same... I went straight to kragen after my install
Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Racer

Thumbs down

everyone wants to wear their emotions on there sleeves and be a cry baby, get over it and don't read more into that isn't there.

The issue is the rubber is worn out and that is why it hangs lower or the factory screwed up and the arm isn't in it's correct location. The exhaust is mounted in rubber for a reason and compressing the fuck out of it with a hose clamp isn't the proper repair and isn't but a buck or two cheaper than fixing it the right way. I was pointing out that the arm can be bent to correct the problem and you don't even have to spend a fucking dime to do it but you do have to have strength in your arms to bend the arm and if you are using a smaller length of pry bar it's harder as you loose mechanical advantage, physics heard of that?

So do what you want seems a lot more of you have your tongs stuck up your ass than the OP does, he seems to be ok with the responce.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Racer

For the ones that choose to use the hose clamp and ridigedly mount your exhaust when you develop a leak in the tail pipe aka crack in it, you'll also want to get rid of that cheap hose clamp and repair the exhaust properly has that is what will cause your crack in the tail pipe because your not allowing the exhaust system to float/have play like it was orginally designed.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 AM
'That's what she said!'

^^ Yes master!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by renedcruz
^^ Yes master!

typical punk ass kid.

And how many cubic inches does your motor have? Zero maybe? how many cylinders does that motor have? lets see if you can get those two right then for bonus points what was the name of the Company and model of car used that set a world speed record in 1994 at over 187 mph, and give the displacement and number of cylinders of the motor used in it when the record was set?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
everyone wants to wear their emotions on there sleeves and be a cry baby, get over it and don't read more into that isn't there.

The issue is the rubber is worn out and that is why it hangs lower or the factory screwed up and the arm isn't in it's correct location. The exhaust is mounted in rubber for a reason and compressing the fuck out of it with a hose clamp isn't the proper repair and isn't but a buck or two cheaper than fixing it the right way. I was pointing out that the arm can be bent to correct the problem and you don't even have to spend a fucking dime to do it but you do have to have strength in your arms to bend the arm and if you are using a smaller length of pry bar it's harder as you loose mechanical advantage, physics heard of that?
Let me say first that I agree with your method of fixing this problem. It seems like the proper way to go about it. However, your attitude towards the youth is highly flawed, condescending, and frankly unnecessary. You are like that professor who is obviously smarter than all of his students, but must rub it in his students' faces anyways. That professor is a douche bag and no one likes him. Get it? How old are you anyways? Are you a professor? That would actually make a lot of sense if you were.

So do what you want seems a lot more of you have your tongs stuck up your ass than the OP does, he seems to be ok with the responce.
For someone who is so good at everything, I find it hard to believe that you missed this while proofreading, which leads me to believe you do not know how to spell the word response

Again, I do agree with your methods of fixing the issue just....you make me hate you. Good day sir.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:34 PM
'That's what she said!'

typical punk ass kid.

And how many cubic inches does your motor have? Zero maybe? how many cylinders does that motor have? lets see if you can get those two right then for bonus points what was the name of the Company and model of car used that set a world speed record in 1994 at over 187 mph, and give the displacement and number of cylinders of the motor used in it when the record was set?
Haha typical punk ass kid? Why yes I am....

Tell you what, I'm not even going to waste my time arguing with on a forum. Never done that with anyone on A-Zine and I'm not starting now.... Tell me this do you live in NYC or anywhere near? Because I can pm you my exact address and then you can tell me all these wonderful things in person.... Let me know.... I always love making new friends....
Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 PM
(ಠДಠ)

you wrote all that just to say "replace the hangers and bend the arms"

another solution is to buy urethane hangers, if you're willing to pay a few bucks.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:31 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TequiLa
you wrote all that just to say "replace the hangers and bend the arms"

another solution is to buy urethane hangers, if you're willing to pay a few bucks.
lol,

and as far as the op is concerned, my exhaust is actually hanging lower on the driver side, and yes the rubber hanger has just stretched over time, so i just replaced it, and called it good
Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 PM

ah.. what do we have here now guys? as for as comments are concerned, i dont really have any side but the fact that i just want to help out the community and if you think this DIY is completely useless or in a sense "cheap", then please move on.

for all i care, my exhaust is even now!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Flagship Aspec

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by xtremex626
ah.. what do we have here now guys? as for as comments are concerned, i dont really have any side but the fact that i just want to help out the community and if you think this DIY is completely useless or in a sense "cheap", then please move on.

for all i care, my exhaust is even now!

that's all that matters man.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Those rubber hangers loosen over time and cause your exhaust to drop a little bit. The clamps are a fine fix, as they essentially replace the job of the rubber hanger. However, if you're like one of the people on this thread, you'll want to avoid using rubber bands and paper clips to fix your car. As such, another easy and cheap fix would be to buy a new rubber hanger. They cost about 10-20 cents more than the hose clamp, and are available at any Acura OEM parts website.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:56 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Those rubber hangers loosen over time and cause your exhaust to drop a little bit. The clamps are a fine fix, as they essentially replace the job of the rubber hanger. However, if you're like one of the people on this thread, you'll want to avoid using rubber bands and paper clips to fix your car. As such, another easy and cheap fix would be to buy a new rubber hanger. They cost about 10-20 cents more than the hose clamp, and are available at any Acura OEM parts website.
i was looking for a set of urethane ones earlier today and checked out the price of OEM ones, and they are only like $3 or $4 each
Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting 'fix'. When I had my exhaust pipes lengthend to fit better in the WW rear lip, I also had the right side raised a bit. I assume they just bent the hangers. It's since sagged back down to where it was before. Might try this as a temporary fix. It's annoying to look at.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:26 PM
(ಠДಠ)

Originally Posted by friesm2000
i was looking for a set of urethane ones earlier today and checked out the price of OEM ones, and they are only like $3 or $4 each
you try kartboy? they're pretty popular
Old 12-25-2010, 10:43 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by TequiLa
you try kartboy? they're pretty popular
i don't see any with the right diameter holes , but then again i can just order them, and they don't work toss them on the wifes WRX (or just go to the local dealer for kartboy, which also happens to be the Subaru and Acura dealer too )
Old 12-27-2010, 07:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awe man after seeing this i noticed the same thing on my tl. Its really annoying and I cant stop looking at!!! lol
Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im doing this tommorrow!!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
im doing this tommorrow!!
same here...thanks for sharing
Old 01-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Racer

I did this today. It works great. My aftermarket exhaust was hanging way too low. The rear looks much tighter now. I may add some stainless steel zip ties for extra support.

Quick Reply: DIY - Exhaust Hanging Too Low? Cheap Fix!