DIfferent brand of headers... Really Different?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 02:05 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIfferent brand of headers... Really Different?

I've been browsing around and shopping for headers and have found several different brands, but they all seem to be more or less the same... Like
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V

So... what exactly are the difference? between TIG Weld, Comptechs, OBX, Megan, Drag SUS and other no branders? Need some header guru's advice please~
Old 05-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Which of these things are not like the other..... ANSWER???

Comptech headers > *

You most definitely get what you pay for.

Do a search on OBX headers on this forum and you'll see what I mean.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:52 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

also comptech is the only header that is carb legal (i think)
Old 05-18-2005, 02:58 PM
speeded when needed

just FYI based on personal experience I bought the Stone (SSAutochrome) from e-bay and it was a piece of shit, it fit fine but from the minute I started driving the thing made a hissing sound like I had an exhaust leak, I tightened the nuts and bolts several times to no avail. I finally said to myself FT and ordered the Alphawerks header. I took the stone off and compared it to the AW and noticed that the 02 sensor bung was too close to the flex pipe, the tubing used was slightly smaller and the welds where not as good. I installed the AW header and haven't had any issues at all it fit great. Here's a link to the place I bought it from Alpha Werks Headers: CL/TL/Accord V6 this is from the sponsored sales in the off topic section. I delt with Josh @ Excellerate good to deal with and good pricing as well.

Peace, Jeff
Old 05-18-2005, 02:59 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

What about ther brands? Are they not carb legal? Not worth considerig? Anyone else on here that has brands other than Comptechs?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Inspire
What about ther brands? Are they not carb legal? Not worth considerig? Anyone else on here that has brands other than Comptechs?
Comptech is the only CARB legal header for our car. I went with Megan headers at ~$220 shipped. I know it's not CARB legal, but I really don't have the money to spend on Comptechs.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:42 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Where do we look to see if one is carb legal or not? And what exactly does CARB stand for? So brands other than OBX, Megan, and Comptechs, are not CARB legal right? Or does anyone know???
Old 05-18-2005, 07:40 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i also have to question the emissions issue here. just because it's not CARB certified doesn't mean we won't pass emissions. the TL is a ULEV vehicle for christ's sake. so don't let too many people give you shit about that. california i could see being strict, but otherwise i don't think it should be an issue for any of us when we get an inspection. as long as no one asks to see the paperwork it should be fine.

SSTS
Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I sell all three headers: OBX, Alpha Werks, and Comptech. Check out the Off Topic section for pricing on the AW and Comptech headers. I have both those in stock.

Josh
Excelerate LLC
Old 05-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
i also have to question the emissions issue here. just because it's not CARB certified doesn't mean we won't pass emissions. the TL is a ULEV vehicle for christ's sake. so don't let too many people give you shit about that. california i could see being strict, but otherwise i don't think it should be an issue for any of us when we get an inspection. as long as no one asks to see the paperwork it should be fine.

SSTS
In CA, visual inspection will kick your ass if you don't have a CARB legal header.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Where do we look to see if one is carb legal or not? And what exactly does CARB stand for? So brands other than OBX, Megan, and Comptechs, are not CARB legal right? Or does anyone know???
seeing that you are in Cali, I would get one with the carb legal marking on it (Comptech). Though, you will pass emissions with any of the headers just fine - but you wont pass the visual inspection with anything but the Comptech headers, but if you get along with the inspector, it may not be a problem. All the CARB legal marking means is, Comptech paid for an independent test to prove they wont harm your vehicles emission system or cause more polution vs. stock; that is another reason Comptech headers are more expensive - to cover their costs.

I have the Stone headers and love them, I have also passed emissions in Texas with the headers and intake on - but Oklahoma doesnt have any inspections anymore!!! haha its pretty funny actually. Im thinking about taking off the cat just for the hell of it (well probably not but I could).
Old 05-19-2005, 11:25 AM
2Poor 2Furious

Comptech were the original headers. They worked with Honda to create the headers, so Comptechs are close to OEM. I also think the Acura warranty is still honored with Comptech stuff as long as its installed by Honda certified techs.

The other headers are all copycats. They copied Comptech's design - shape and flow, etc. The issue with the other headers are that they don't fit exactly, have leaks, have questionable welds, etc. It's pretty much a crapshoot whether you get a good batch or bad batch of headers.

As for CARB, it really depends. Some inspection places will ding you without the CARB plate. Ironically, in Cali, most smog check places don't even bother to do visual inspections and just run the computer test.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:27 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
In CA, visual inspection will kick your ass if you don't have a CARB legal header.

you'd get by the visual inspection, unless u know the guy
Old 05-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

does anyone know yet what the main cause of the resonance is from and which headers other than the comptech that dont have it. thanks

-jon
Old 05-19-2005, 10:50 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Originally Posted by t0ast
As for CARB, it really depends. Some inspection places will ding you without the CARB plate. Ironically, in Cali, most smog check places don't even bother to do visual inspections and just run the computer test.
Wow... really good info.
I agree with you t0ast, the last few times that I did my smog for our toyota, audi and TL, none of them did the shops did any visual inspection... they too loose?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:37 PM
USMC Butterbars

I have had the Stone headers in for a few months now. I have had absolutely no problems. Fitment was fine and so far no hissing sound like the others mentioned.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Originally Posted by shimbo519
I have had the Stone headers in for a few months now. I have had absolutely no problems. Fitment was fine and so far no hissing sound like the others mentioned.
and where do we get it?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Comptech Freak

i only trust comptech, save you trouble from defected headers

installing and uninstalling is a pain and costly, why not just pay a little bit more for comptech?

and you can sell them at a very gd price if you don't want them

btw...TIG welding is a must when you do welding, it's nth special
Old 05-20-2005, 01:17 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Originally Posted by samkws
i only trust comptech, save you trouble from defected headers

installing and uninstalling is a pain and costly, why not just pay a little bit more for comptech?

and you can sell them at a very gd price if you don't want them

btw...TIG welding is a must when you do welding, it's nth special
Thanks buddy. I'm still hesitating whether if I should touch the performance catagory. This thread help out on my understanding of headers alittle. TIG welding is definitely NOT for me then if it requires to be welded. Perhaps as everyone suggested, Comptechs is the way to go because I'd seriously pay alittle more to save myself the trouble on installation. The resale value definitely a plus for me... How about warranties? Do they come with any? Is there a dramatic change in the horse power or torque after installing the Comptechs?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:57 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TIG welding is definitely NOT for me then if it requires to be welded. Is there a dramatic change in the horse power or torque after installing the Comptechs?
Don't worry, you don't need to do any welding with headers, so don't worry about TIG welding. I am not sure why it was even mentioned since almost all headers are TIG welded. The issue is not TIG or MIG, it's how well the welding is done. Usually, the cheaper the header, the worse the fittment and welding.

There are dyno charts at the Comptech web site, comptechusa.com

I agree with the comments made about CompTech headers. While I think the first batch of CompTech header (a long time ago) had some issues, I have not read any posts about problems with them.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:05 AM
Comptech Freak

Thanks buddy. I'm still hesitating whether if I should touch the performance catagory. This thread help out on my understanding of headers alittle. TIG welding is definitely NOT for me then if it requires to be welded. Perhaps as everyone suggested, Comptechs is the way to go because I'd seriously pay alittle more to save myself the trouble on installation. The resale value definitely a plus for me... How about warranties? Do they come with any? Is there a dramatic change in the horse power or torque after installing the Comptechs?
nono, TIG is just a term, it's just called the TIG welding

after i installed i could feel the extra hp at the high end, probably kicks in around 4500rpm til redline, the car pulls faster esp after 100mph

however it shifts the power up north so it sucks a little low end torque below 4000rpm, gotta sacrifice a little power at the low end.

if you don't drive that hard then headers are not for you...you should get the comptech icebox or the UR pulley, which increases the low end torque dramatically
Old 05-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by samkws
if you don't drive that hard then headers are not for you...you should get the comptech icebox or the UR pulley, which increases the low end torque dramatically
Good advice. For easy driving, an Icebox and pulley are much more cost effective mods to gain hp in the rpm range where you can use it.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
USMC Butterbars

I got my Stone Racing Headers from ebay, from ssautochrome. I read the reviews from lots of members and only a few had issues with the Stone racing headers(which were all from the initial batch of headers). I believe Stone Racing have fixed their fitment issues.

Mind you, purchasing a Comptech product does not necessarily mean you will get a flawless product. There have been numerous complaints from several members with the Comptech Springs rusting. And I believe I read about at least 1 case where there was a problem with the Comptech headers.

My 2 cents, why spend over a grand for headers when you can get a similar brand installed for less than half that cost. Yeh, sure you don't get the Comptech name and their reputation, but o well.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by shimbo519
Mind you, purchasing a Comptech product does not necessarily mean you will get a flawless product. There have been numerous complaints from several members with the Comptech Springs rusting. And I believe I read about at least 1 case where there was a problem with the Comptech headers.
1 case with the headers? How many case with OBX?

I have/had just about every Comptech bolt-on (except the Icebox and the S/C) and I can say without a doubt they are very well-made products.

The springs were just a problem with the powdercoating, nothing else. 3rd party powdercoater fucked up. It happens. Comptech gave me a brand spanking new set of springs, which I then sold and bought my TeinSS.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:45 AM
El Presidente

I know there have been a few cases where comptech products did not live up to their standards, but for the most part they are pretty solid. Ive heard about the problem of the springs, and some people weren't as lucky as NSXNEXT to get a new set. Also, one of the members front swaybar snapped in half, he wasn't to happy about that one...
Old 05-20-2005, 12:01 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

WOW... You guys are amazine! Thanks alot for the advices. Especially on the part where the header increases high end power and pully and icebox increases the low end power... That meant alot to me. And I would assume that alot of you experts have all three elements right? Do they work well in combination to eachother? Gosh... The price just gets higher and higher... It's about to burn a hole in my pocket if I really do decide to have them...
And as far as the swaybar snapped in half... that's just ridiculous... Is it because of the driving that cause all the stress on the bar underneath the car?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Drifting

How many case with OBX?
Or Meagen?

I agree that CT are expensive and some might not think worth paying 3 or 4 times more. However, when you add up the time and money people have spent fooling around with re-torqueing bolts, installing a second set of headers, installing new B pipes, down pipes, etc., they could have bought CT in the first place.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:43 PM
USMC Butterbars

1 case with the headers? How many case with OBX?

I have/had just about every Comptech bolt-on (except the Icebox and the S/C) and I can say without a doubt they are very well-made products.

The springs were just a problem with the powdercoating, nothing else. 3rd party powdercoater fucked up. It happens. Comptech gave me a brand spanking new set of springs, which I then sold and bought my TeinSS.
i was merely stating that Comptech parts are not flawless.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:46 PM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Originally Posted by MikePA
...when you add up the time and money people have spent fooling around with re-torqueing bolts, installing a second set of headers, installing new B pipes, down pipes, etc., they could have bought CT in the first place.
I totally agree. That's why I prefer to spend more and get the best instead of fooling around too much as long as it's worth it.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Well, I just installed some Megan headers, and I'm getting a hissing that I can't get rid of. I re torqued all the bolts and it's still the same. I don't think it's a fitment issue. I think it's coming from one of the flex joints.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:04 AM
On the way!

WOW... You guys are amazine! Thanks alot for the advices. Especially on the part where the header increases high end power and pully and icebox increases the low end power... That meant alot to me. And I would assume that alot of you experts have all three elements right? Do they work well in combination to eachother? Gosh... The price just gets higher and higher... It's about to burn a hole in my pocket if I really do decide to have them...
And as far as the swaybar snapped in half... that's just ridiculous... Is it because of the driving that cause all the stress on the bar underneath the car?
My Type S has OBX headers (similar performance gains to Comptech), an icebox, and UR pulleys.

The car accelerates like it's attached to a HUGE rubber band! It just keeps accelerating faster and faster (unlike many of the domestic cars that starve for air in higher RPM ranges).

You'll love it!
Old 05-22-2005, 04:43 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by fla-tls
My Type S has OBX headers (similar performance gains to Comptech), an icebox, and UR pulleys.

The car accelerates like it's attached to a HUGE rubber band! It just keeps accelerating faster and faster (unlike many of the domestic cars that starve for air in higher RPM ranges).

You'll love it!
that rbber band thing made no sense to me, and also how is the resonance with OBX headers
Old 05-22-2005, 05:27 PM
@ slide or die @

Nobody in this board has really discussed which headers give more gains, so assuming all are = (seem likesame bends and dimensions) i say this:

the downside to the OBX is the stupid resonance...i regret every buying them, but in the other hand they've lasted me 2yr

nobody's had megans long enough to know wether they break or not

Stone's are proven to last, but slightly more expensive.

Comptech...you know how it goes
Old 05-24-2005, 10:22 AM
speeded when needed

as far as I'm concearned the only headers that I would recommend are the Alphawerks & Comptech. Alphawerks b/c I put them on my TL-S and they fit great and they don't have any hissing, Comptech b/c they are proven to be the best (if you can afford an arm and a testicle, unless you can get them used). I had the Stone on my car and took them off b/c off the hissing, I put them side by side with the A/W and there where numerous differences. I wouldn't even touch OBX due to past experience with parts for my Integra type-R
Peace, Jeff
Old 05-24-2005, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Between the Stone and Alphawerks, how much have you spent on headers?
Old 05-24-2005, 11:15 AM
speeded when needed

I've spent about 750USD for both and yes I realize that for another 300USD I could've bought the C/T, but the first time around the prices I was getting for the C/T where somewhere in space at around 1200 to 1300USD so I went with the cheapest (my bad). After spending the first $$ and realizing the shit I bought I really took a chance buying the A/W. The only reason I bought the A/W is that I got a smokin' deal and knew that guys where buying these recently and not having any issues with them otherwise I probably would've chomped the big one and bought the C/T.

Peace, Jeff
Old 05-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by MikePA
Between the Stone and Alphawerks, how much have you spent on headers?
Alpha Werks run about $500 shipped, Comptechs about $1050 shipped, Megan Racing about $250 shipped. Let me know if you need any of these headers.

Josh
Excelerate LLC
Old 05-24-2005, 06:08 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by yunginTL
that rbber band thing made no sense to me, and also how is the resonance with OBX headers
Forget the rubber band - a jet engine - how's that?

The resonance is a bit annoying and I have a crack on a weld in the middle front collector tube.

I would have bought different headers - but when I bought it was only OBX or Comptech - and the jury was out on OBX still.

It's liveable...