Died while driving. NEED HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Died while driving. NEED HELP.

Yesterday I was driving home and the car just died. I have had some issues with turning the vehicle on from time to time. You go to turn the car on and nothing happens and you have to turn it on off on off and it'll fix itself and start. This isn't the main issue. Now that the car is dead on the side of the road, when I turn the car in the on position none of the accessories have power, no windows, no radio, no dash lights. The transmission lock does not disengage as well. However the battery is at full life. Is this an ignition switch? I need help please, this is our only reliable mode of transportation any suggestions would be very helpful thank
Old 07-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Barnes
Yesterday I was driving home and the car just died. I have had some issues with turning the vehicle on from time to time. You go to turn the car on and nothing happens and you have to turn it on off on off and it'll fix itself and start. This isn't the main issue. Now that the car is dead on the side of the road, when I turn the car in the on position none of the accessories have power, no windows, no radio, no dash lights. The transmission lock does not disengage as well. However the battery is at full life. Is this an ignition switch? I need help please, this is our only reliable mode of transportation any suggestions would be very helpful thank
Probably ignition switch or bad connection at cables- +/-.

1. Check for corrosion at cables, post connections or fray/broken ground straps. If ok see #2.

2. Replace the ignition switch. You can just buy a ignition switch from parts store and then unplug the connector in the steering column and plug the new one in without removing the old switch.

With the new switch connected and dangling just turn the new ignition switch on with a flat blade screw driver. The power should come on. If there's power the car will start as normal and shift in gear but be sure to use your key to turning on the old ignition switch so that you can unlock steering wheel and drive home.

Finish swapping out the ignition switch at home. You will need a Philips (#2/possibly #1 to remove steering column cover screws-3) and flat (check flat head size against new ignition switch) head screwdrivers.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts