dash rattle -- found and fixed! (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dash rattle -- found and fixed! (pictures)

I've had a rattle in the dash of my 02 TL for some time, which the dealer hears but can't find. It finally got to me, so this past weekend I decided to find and fix it once and for all. This is the same one that a lot of people on the board have complained about, and to my knowledge nobody's posted a fix yet. After two days and probably more than 100 miles of test driving, I finally nailed it!

The Symptoms:
- a slight ticking or rattling sound that is clearly coming from behind the instrument cluster
- happens over semi-rough to rough road, often when traveling at highway speeds.
- pressing on the lower right portion of the gas gauge and/or the left side of the tach will usually stop it temporarily

The Cause:
After investigating nearly everything (and literally dissembling the instrument cluster into its component pieces), I found the rattle was coming from the instrument cluster wiring harness chafing against the plastic frame of the dash. Its actually happening in three places (see pressure points picture), although the upper-right most point, behind the gas gauge, seems to be the worst.

The Fix:
The wiring harness in these areas isn't very well wrapped, but it’s a simple matter of adding some extra insulation. To do this:
- Put the steering wheel in its lowest position, and pop off the upper steering wheel shaft cover. Very easy; it just pops off.
- Pull the instrument cluster cover off. First, remove the two screws above the IC that hold the IC cover into the dash. Then, starting on the lower right side (underneath the Navi) gently pull out the IC cover, releasing the clips as you go. Once you've got the entire bottom out, repeat with the top, starting at the right side above the Navi. I had more trouble doing the top than the bottom, but YMMV. This DOES require a little bit of force to do, so don't give up if it doesn't pop right out. Once you’ve got it out, disconnect the five switches that the cover contains, and put the cover aside.
- Remove the instrument cluster itself. This is a matter of unscrewing four screws and pulling the cluster out, and then unhooking three sets of wires.
-Put foam in between all the points where the harness touches the plastic (indicated in the picture). I used automotive grade weather stripping, but you can use whatever you like. The important part is to really wedge it in there so no part of the wiring harness is touching the plastic when you are done.
- Put everything back together. Plug the instrument cluster back in and screw it in. Plug all the wires back into the dash cover, put it into place, and screw it in. Pop on the steering wheel cover, and off you go!

Notes:
- This will only fix the rattle noted above. There are a couple other ones, such as the one behind the radio, which are caused by different problems.
- I didn't find doing this very hard, but I'm comfortable working on cars. If you're not into taking things apart and putting them back together, you might not want to try this. And of course, if you break something, its your fault, not mine.

Any questions? Ask away.

The following users liked this post:
intelliboy (02-01-2012)
Old 03-18-2004, 10:56 PM
O.G.

Thanks for the tip even though mine doesn't rattle.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mine rattles like insane...I wonder if I throw this at the dealer whether they would be willing to fix it...

it would be interesting to see which dealer will say this sound is normal, and which one will welcome my attempt at a fix based on this new info.

thanks dordal...I will look into this tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started to notice this in my car very recnetly, but I dont know if i will be going ahead with this, it seems complicated. Still debating.. if ne thing i will wait till the summer when the weather gets better. But very informative!! Great Job!!

SC354, tell me what your dealer says, very curious.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have that same rattle in my dash..but mine sounds like more something rolling around in my dash. Is that how yours sounds???
Old 03-19-2004, 02:15 AM
Advanced

nice find... but lazy ppl will just blast the music.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:09 AM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Originally posted by erik
nice find... but lazy ppl will just blast the music.
hahaha dat is so true! lolz!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:49 AM
TL-S driver

I have a slight rattle but I can't figure out where it's coming from. I do know I have on on the passenger door or from the seat belt, not sure yet. It's too cold to start digging around for it. I'm one of those lazy people!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah, My driver door rattles, exactly by my ear around the seat belt area. Also hear some kinda rattling from 'behind' the glovebox. I dont think its gonna be worth trying to fix - the dealer mech said "I could try but cannot guarantee that it will be fixed" - dont know if I can blame him.
Nice info - I'm sure someone will use it. The rest will just turn the music up, like me.
--
'00 TL
33Kmiles
Black
proud owner since 6 weeks!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Dordal... Awesome work man!

Thanks!

You provided me a link to this thread for me in another thread, but I thought I would bump it for the benefit of others on this board!

I had my car in for another warranty related item and asked them to perform the fix you outline in this thread... They did it and the rattle is now gone! Granted, I still hear other noises...but this is one of the major ones that was really getting under my skin...

Thanks!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Ganji, Want some?

You know, you folks are really brave to take shit apart and put em back together, i'd prolly forget where one screw goes and mess up everything, BUT, thats why i am always thankful for ACURAZINE, where would i be without them~!!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
This time around I didn't do this myself (though I had always planned to...but procrastination set into place)...

I was in on another warranty issue and asked them if they could perform this under warranty for undue noise issues...

When I do these things myself, I am usually not worried about losing screws as much as I am worried about overtightening screws and/or breaking clips But for the most part, if you are careful, you can get through it pretty well...
Old 09-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by VITEK
where would i be without them~!!!!
Scared and loosing screws?????????
Old 09-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes

nice tip!
Old 12-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Advanced

With my system in m car, I realized that the only rattling coming from my 03 TL, is the rearview mirror. When I squeeze it, it stops. I put a rubber band around it. I stole it from a local supermarket...it held broccoli together. Its thick. No Joke. But it didn't completely eliminate the problem...sure as hell helped though.

Anyone have any ideas to fix this? Dealership said there's nothing wrong with it, and it's only because of excessive vibration....

Ok, stop laughing. =)
haha
Old 12-07-2006, 01:33 PM
99 TLS6 08 TL

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by KrAzYForever
With my system in m car, I realized that the only rattling coming from my 03 TL, is the rearview mirror. When I squeeze it, it stops. I put a rubber band around it. I stole it from a local supermarket...it held broccoli together. Its thick. No Joke. But it didn't completely eliminate the problem...sure as hell helped though.

Anyone have any ideas to fix this? Dealership said there's nothing wrong with it, and it's only because of excessive vibration....

Ok, stop laughing. =)
haha
I have the same problem with my mirror. I've had it replaced twice and it only lasts for about a year. The stereo just kills those things. Maybe I'll get a new mirror and steal a rubber band from the grocery store. LOL!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Advanced

I'm serious! It really works..haha. Just put it around the far edge...left or right. Then pull it down, twist and double-layer it. I have 3 of them like that, but they are all on top of each other so it's tight in one spot.

Good way to ghetto out a nice car :P

-Bobby
Old 12-07-2006, 10:55 PM
W00t

Holy crap, thank you KrAzYForever for finding this thread from the grave.. I have this EXACT rattling problem in my instrument cluster that dordal had thats been driving me insane. Im gonna do this tomorow woot
Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 PM
고고씽

Originally Posted by PiZauL
Holy crap, thank you KrAzYForever for finding this thread from the grave.. I have this EXACT rattling problem in my instrument cluster that dordal had thats been driving me insane. Im gonna do this tomorow woot
x2

thanx dordal!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Wish

damn new ratttle

i'm getting a some damn rattlin coming from behind the dash near the center right.. i keep thinking its inside the airbag place.... arghh its driving em nuts...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:59 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
I have one that seems to be coming from the middle part toward the windshield. (thats where I press to get it to stop) is there a screw up there or something that could be loose??
Old 04-15-2008, 02:51 AM
.a BUM with SMG...

woww man good tips bro , thanksssssssssss
Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i have a rattle. my 110 cigarette outlet in the center console (not armrest cubby) is free flowing loose. need to glue that sucka down!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:41 PM
B A N N E D

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
well.. me and my friend were listening to the rattle in my car he said hes been telling me i need new mounts. my car started to rattle when the music is down and sometimes when i am at a stop. i probably swap my mounts and get some new sparkplugs and see if that helps it run a smoother.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
^^^ What '02 Type-S (I don't see a quote button) said... Mine rattles from the center up close to the windshield. Is it common with these cars to have some kinda of warpage with the dash, and rear door panels near the window switch areas? Was there any dealer recall for these issues? Fairly annoying to say the least...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Intermediate

Great tip! Mine has not rattled here yet, although recently there has been a SEVERE squeaking/rattling from the passenger side to the middle around the lower part of the windshield. I have tried having a passenger locate this for me while driving to no avail..sounds like me and "02 Type-S" and "floored4door" are having the same problem
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Cruisin'

I have the same issue I just got my 02 TL-S last month, at highway speeds the dash rattles like crazy from in front of me, drives me nuts, I'm going to attempt the above fix this weekend.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

I can't wait to fix this problem, thanks for the info
Old 03-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a noise/rattle in my dash awhile back, I was able to solve the problem by purchasing a bag of gray poly foam rope "backer rod", the type used for filling large cracks before you caulk. Typically purchased at Home Depot or Lowes, look for 3/4" in size.

Take a clean wooden paint mixing stick, and carefully stuff it between the widshield and the the dash. It took care of the problem for me.