AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   D5 light Blinking !!!!! PlsPlsPls HelP (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/d5-light-blinking-plsplspls-help-536263/)

eh!curaplus 07-22-2003 02:31 PM

D5 light Blinking !!!!! PlsPlsPls HelP

There's times when it does and when it doesn't. I figure its gotta be a tranny problem, does anyone know? I can feel a jerk from 1st to second but it doesn't seem like an immediate problem. Pls reply. New TL owner here, dont know shiet at all. Damn, i dont even have the manual (used'00 beige TL). I also need someone who know's what TCS means. I found the button but have know idea what it's for.:confused:

hzm82 07-22-2003 02:42 PM

Could be the transmission going. You got 7yrs/100k warranty on it so take it to the dealer.

TCS=Traction Control System
Its engaged as soon as you turn on the car, it will work under 18mph but I had it kick in at 25 mph. When its engaged it will blink TCS.

If you press the button, it turns off TCS and the annoying yellow light will come on to remind you its off.

FTM-1 07-22-2003 04:50 PM

The D5 light Flashing could very well be a tranny problem.
This is one of the warning signs that ACURA said could happen with tranny problems. This was on the letter that they sent out with the extended 7yr/100,000 mile automatic transmission warranty. If the car does not have over 100,000 miles on it you are in good shape & the new tranny cost will be on ACURA.

The TCS/ TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM works like this
It comes everytime you start the car even if the system was turned OFF by you when the car was driven the last time. It will resets itself to ON when you restart the car next time.
When the TCS button is pushed when the car is ON the yellow light will light on that button. This yellow light is to remind you that the TCS SYSTEM is turned OFF. When the light is OFF the SYSTEM is ON. When TCS the indicator light on instument panel flashes the TCS is activating. The TCS is detecting wheel spin & the normal acelerator response from the car is not there. Our system is a low speed TCS system. It is for low traction conditions for up to 18MPH or slightly higher.If the light comes on for any other reason not stated above & stays on along with ABS light you could have a brake problem.

s0ph3aktra 07-22-2003 05:29 PM

i had the same problem. my d5 started blinking about 3 months ago. tell me this... in the morning when you start driving, the d5 doesn't blink right?..then when your car shift from 1st to 2nd (wihle driving) there's a jerk right? most likely it;s not the tranny. it's the tempature control unit something something.... i dunno. ( i don't know the exact name). but bring it to your dealer so they can replace it. oh about the warranty.. go to their website and input your vin number in the owners link and they'll tell you if it's under the extended warranty. the acura dealer i went to was pretty kewl with the problem. they gave me a loaner because they had to order the part.. they replaced it for ****FREE**** oh..i didn;t buy my 2000 emerald green from an acura dealer...and i didn;t tell them.

BlackAc3.2 07-22-2003 06:00 PM

its the tranny

eh!curaplus 07-22-2003 06:27 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I had no idea what all the instruments mean...but i least know about the TCS now.

The extended waranty that you guys are talking about is in the states right? Cause if so then we're talking about 100,000/miles?
I'm in canada so i guess my next step is to find out what the waranty is lik here in km. Hope they can help me like they did s0oh3aktra, i bought mine in a used dealership too.

s0ph3aktra 07-22-2003 07:05 PM

tell us what happen when you get the d5 fix.

optiq 07-22-2003 10:21 PM

my d4 was flashing.. cuz i blew out the ecu fuse.. its on the drivers side 4th one up on the right 7.5amp

TL 07-22-2003 11:38 PM

Many TL's got an extended warranty for the transmission. That includes in Canada. Since you have a 2000, then you should be includeded. The extended warranty extends your transmission warranty to 7 years.

Bring your car to your dealer... if it's the transmission they will replace it for free.

Darkshear 07-23-2003 01:34 AM

tranny is gunna blow.... take it in before it takes you in.

eh!curaplus 07-23-2003 02:50 AM

you guys are starting to scare the sh*tz outta me!
I'm still hoping its not the tranny!!
(trying 2 convince myself)
maybe it's like the fuse thing that optiq was saying...hehe=(

FTM-1 07-23-2003 09:10 AM

Just take the car back to the dealer & have it checked & make sure you say to them that the D5 Light was blinking. Make sue its written down on the invoice also.

edgalang 07-23-2003 11:48 AM

Originally posted by eh!curaplus
you guys are starting to scare the sh*tz outta me!
I'm still hoping its not the tranny!!
(trying 2 convince myself)
maybe it's like the fuse thing that optiq was saying...hehe=(

Don't be a fool like me. I had signs of the upcomming tranny failure, but I dismissed it because I wanted SOLID reacurring evidence to show my dealer. Well, 1-2 thousand miles later, my tranny decided to downshift to 2nd (from 5th) when I was merging into the freeway going at 65mph.

That's when I decided (OK...NOW I HAVE SOLID EVIDENCE) to limp back to the dealer (35 miles away) going @ a steady rate of 45mph with my hazard flashing the whole way. Don't risk it like I did.

eh!curaplus 07-23-2003 03:30 PM

the scary thing is, ****! i've only had the car now for a week and a half. The used dealership gave this one year warranty thing, but through a extended warr. place. question is, how do i get it done by acura without them finding out that i didn't buy it through them? are they really that anal about it? does anyone have a link or address to an article about the extended warranty everyone keeps on talking about?

bigman 07-23-2003 08:41 PM

Acura will know that you are not the original owners, they track the cars

FTM-1 07-23-2003 09:09 PM

the scary thing is, ****! i've only had the car now for a week and a half. The used dealership gave this one year warranty thing, but through a extended warr. place. question is, how do i get it done by acura without them finding out that i didn't buy it through them? are they really that anal about it? does anyone have a link or address to an article about the extended warranty everyone keeps on talking about?
The Transmission extended warranty only covers the transmission & torque converter. This is not your normal extended warranty this covers the transmission & torque converter because of a higher than normal rate of cars have had problems with this. It does not matter this warranty is from ACURA. All 2000-2002 3.2 TL models are covered.

eh!curaplus 07-24-2003 02:25 AM

7 yr / 100,000 km or 100,000 miles?

hzm82 07-24-2003 02:42 AM

miles

eh!curaplus 07-24-2003 08:14 AM

s0ph3aktra wrote,
i had the same problem. my d5 started blinking about 3 months ago. tell me this... in the morning when you start driving, the d5 doesn't blink right?..then when your car shift from 1st to 2nd (wihle driving) there's a jerk right? most likely it;s not the tranny. it's the tempature control unit something something.... i dunno.
I cant figure this stupid thing, just like s0ph3aktra it works alright up until 15kms later when all of a sudden it starts blinking. it's not always on, not to say that they aren't small jerks from the tranny anyway, i'm gonna change the trans oil b4 i do anything else, hopefully that works. anyoen here believe in tranny additives?

eh!curaplus 07-24-2003 11:17 AM

i just got off the phone, gotta blow some steam.
the 888acura number was very helpful and i can continue the ext warr service on the condition that the car has been properly serviced. they actually wanna help me out. now here's the bumb in the road. they were able to tell me where the car was purchased, and possibly serviced. i need to prove that the car has gone through it's reg. service with the tranny oil. i called the # now in quebec and they cant give that info unless the previous owner releases it. so freikn stupid, the car is mine now, in my ownership, insured to me, and yet i cant access that info. they weren't even gonna supply that same info to the operators in the 888# how do i now find out who this guy was when the dealer who i bought it from also doesn't know since it was from another dealer too. too many probs. any suggestions ?

BLEXV6 07-24-2003 06:58 PM

i just got off the phone, gotta blow some steam.
the 888acura number was very helpful and i can continue the ext warr service on the condition that the car has been properly serviced. they actually wanna help me out. now here's the bumb in the road. they were able to tell me where the car was purchased, and possibly serviced. i need to prove that the car has gone through it's reg. service with the tranny oil. i called the # now in quebec and they cant give that info unless the previous owner releases it. so freikn stupid, the car is mine now, in my ownership, insured to me, and yet i cant access that info. they weren't even gonna supply that same info to the operators in the 888# how do i now find out who this guy was when the dealer who i bought it from also doesn't know since it was from another dealer too. too many probs. any suggestions ?

I think if you go to a dealer in the GTA, they should help you. You can tell them you have no idea as to what the service intervals were on the tranny. Chances are because of the tranny problem, they will help you out. The fact you know about the problem and tell them will help you out.

Our warrantys are 160,000 KMS, or 7 years.

I have had good luck with Acura 2000 in Brampton where I bought my car but I am sure that there are plenty in Toronto that will help and they provide a rental.

songoku 07-24-2003 07:20 PM

I don't even look at my gauge when I drive so I can't tell something like this happens. :( :rolleyes:

eh!curaplus 07-25-2003 04:41 AM

I'll try Sherway Acura by next week, i'll keep who ever cares posted. Thanks for all the help guys. Gotta love this site!

2001BlackTL 07-25-2003 09:27 AM

Dude, I had just the same thing happen yesterday. I was noticing some slipping in the upshift from 2nd to 3rd gear and thought it was my imagination. Then i am accelrating onto the highway to about 45mph, let off the gas a bit and the car jerks forward as if the tranny completely locked up. I went a bit further and after several more lock ups, the check engine light, TCS light and the D5 was flashing. I was able to make it home in "limp" mode. Shut off the car, restarted it, and guess what, all the warning lights except the Check Engine light were gone. I took no hances and had the car towed to the dealer today...still awaiting there thoughts. But, referring to the tranny fluid comment, I checked it as well, and it says in the manual that you do not need ot change it until 120k miles, thats like 155k or more in kilometers, so thay are talking out of their **ses. Hope that helps and wish you and me luck.

Darkshear 07-25-2003 09:47 AM

D5 light blinking is a noted symptom... i dont know why the dealer would give you a problem... regardless of how you fell in tot he car, its still an Acura, and its still broke, and its still under warranty.

eh!curaplus 07-26-2003 04:15 AM

yeah, hope fully they dont ***** and really investigate about the trans oil change. i dont know why they mentioned it but they did! i dont know, maybe they have different warranty ruling for canada, which i doubt. one thing about my car though is it's aight for the first 15-20km then it gets groggy on 2 & the odd time 3rd, but that thing with the TCS light. My light hasn't come on yet (knock on wood!). Good luck with yours.

phaight1 11-22-2005 07:06 PM

Help.. Please

Originally Posted by s0ph3aktra
i had the same problem. my d5 started blinking about 3 months ago. tell me this... in the morning when you start driving, the d5 doesn't blink right?..then when your car shift from 1st to 2nd (wihle driving) there's a jerk right? most likely it;s not the tranny. it's the tempature control unit something something.... i dunno. ( i don't know the exact name). but bring it to your dealer so they can replace it. oh about the warranty.. go to their website and input your vin number in the owners link and they'll tell you if it's under the extended warranty. the acura dealer i went to was pretty kewl with the problem. they gave me a loaner because they had to order the part.. they replaced it for ****FREE**** oh..i didn;t buy my 2000 emerald green from an acura dealer...and i didn;t tell them.

What you have described is exactly happening to me. I took it to Karen Radley in Woodbridge. They told me there were no problems. I want to take it back, but I need some info to fight back. Can you look at your receipt to see exactly what they replaced in your acura.. Thanks for your help....

fsttyms1 11-23-2005 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by phaight1
What you have described is exactly happening to me. I took it to Karen Radley in Woodbridge. They told me there were no problems. I want to take it back, but I need some info to fight back. Can you look at your receipt to see exactly what they replaced in your acura.. Thanks for your help....

Does your D5 light blink at all? if it does bring it back while its doing it. The computer should be throwing a code that they can read. There could be a few things causing it. From the person you replied to (from a 2003 thread), i had the same thing also with it turning out to be a tranny temp sensor go bad. but ive also had 4 trannies fail.

My recomendation to you is bring it back or find a different dealer. tellilng you there are no problems is incompetence

phaight1 11-23-2005 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Does your D5 light blink at all? if it does bring it back while its doing it. The computer should be throwing a code that they can read. There could be a few things causing it. From the person you replied to (from a 2003 thread), i had the same thing also with it turning out to be a tranny temp sensor go bad. but ive also had 4 trannies fail.

My recomendation to you is bring it back or find a different dealer. tellilng you there are no problems is incompetence

Once I drive for 10 minutes or warms up, the d5 light comes on solid. When it's cold, the d5 light does not come on at all. It kicks or jerks from first gear to second gear only when it is cold. This kick or jerk only happens once a week or so. Once it warms up, everything is fine. Thanks for your reply...

Sheila Rockwell 05-15-2017 10:17 PM

I have a 02 acura I had bought used its been my daily driver The miles are 130,742 it has always ran good but my tcs abs and check engine have always been on we have done odds and ends fixes on car of some codes it has thrown then we did the 3x transmission change and after that all my lights r on including the d5 flashing car will not go anywhere when in automatic but if u put it in what I call bump shift it runs but u can't get lights off we've reset tools places to have reset and they couldn't fix it does anyone have a idea what this could be? Silanoids tested good filters clean fluid clean we r lost here my first acura I've own .

Nicks2001tl 05-15-2017 11:58 PM

It could something as simple as the sensors or the tranny is going completely. I would go to a transmission shop and have them check it for you, and don`t let them sell you on a rebuilt transmission(they fail).

Iggy 05-16-2017 05:31 AM

What code/s are triggering the check engine light?

The car will drive in sport shift mode but not in D5? What about D1-D4 or reverse?

Jay Tee 04-07-2019 09:40 AM

CEL,TCS, Flashing D5 light ans Slow acceleration FIXED

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...861a1c9b34.jpg

I purposely buy 1999-2003 Acura TL's with "Transmission" issues at the dealer auction, because 90% of these are simple and easy fixes. They're nice cars and get them dirt cheap, because other dealers won't touch them. I find the mechanisms of these transmissions are solid, but the connectors and solenoids and other "external parts" are usually the main problem issues. It's sad because I've seen so many comments of people spending thousands of dollars on fixes that are easy and cheap with these transmissions. I just bought a clean 2003 TL with 191k miles at auction for $600. It had a CEL, TCS and blinking D5 light on the cluster near the tach. Along with this issue was very slow acceleration and hard slamming into reverse and all forward gears. When driving, the car does change gears as normal, but again, the acceleration is slow.

The problem? There is a 4th solenoid that nobody ever talks about with these transmissions. There are tons of videos and posts about the 3 solenoids on the top of the transmission. There is one double "B" solenoid to the left under the battery tray and two more "A" solenoids under the upper radiator hose connection to engine. My OBD reader through a p753 code, so I checked the 2 "A" solenoids under the upper radiator hose, and they where fine. However, I kept getting a p753 code. : ( As I thoroughly looked around the at all the connectors on the engine, I see a 4th transmission solenoid on the lower front of the transmission directly across from the lower part of the radiator fans on the drivers side. It is held on by a 10mm bolt. Just above that solenoid and "Not" visible is a also sensor. The connectors for both were on the solenoid and sensor, but one wasn't "clicked" on. I pushed on the connector firmly and on clicked. Done! I started the car and all the lights where off and the transmission worked great.

Westfallen 04-08-2019 07:56 AM

Want to buy mine? It's listed in the marketplace.