Cruise Control "Space/Block" is it broken? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Cruise Control "Space/Block" is it broken?

Old 12-27-2018, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Cruise Control "Space/Block" is it broken?

My 2003 Acura TL Cruise Control has stopped working. I've been all over this thread learning about potential causes as to what could be wrong. I get a green light when I press the switch but nothing happens on the dashboard or it will engage for a quick 1/2 second and do nothing at all. After much reading through numerous threads on this forum, It was suggested that one of the things to look for is a broken SPACE OR BLOCK on the cruise control assembly thats attached to the throttle body assembly. It's the black plastic piece in the center of the pictures. My question is this:

Based upon the pictures does it look broken or anything else? From what i can see, there does not appear to be anything wrong, but I'm willing to accept I'm not looking at it correct. Please help.

If none of those two parts are broken, is there anything else I should check for?

Last edited by Mike Brazil; 12-27-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: orient picture
Old 12-27-2018, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Here is the correct orientation of photo of the spacer/block.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Culprit could also be the brake switch.
From what I can observe from the picture provided, the black piece on the throttle body appears intact.

As mentioned above, the culprit could be the brake switch or #3 Stopandcruise Switch Assembly. Also check #4 Pedal stopper pad. Refer to the link below. The stopper pads are made of plastic and they will crumble/disintegrate over time. If this is the problem, it will not let the #3 Stopandcruise Switch Assembly function correctly, disabling the cruise control. You have to get on your back, with a flashlight, and search around under the driverside dash to verify.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2003...chassis--pedal

Stopper pad:
Amazon Amazon

In addition, there could also be something wrong with the #5 Cruise control Actuator Assembly. If so, you may be able to pick one up at a salvage yard buy searching car-part.com in your local area.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2003...s--auto-cruise

Old 12-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zeta View Post
From what I can observe from the picture provided, the black piece on the throttle body appears intact.

As mentioned above, the culprit could be the brake switch or #3 Stopandcruise Switch Assembly. Also check #4 Pedal stopper pad. Refer to the link below. The stopper pads are made of plastic and they will crumble/disintegrate over time. If this is the problem, it will not let the #3 Stopandcruise Switch Assembly function correctly, disabling the cruise control. You have to get on your back, with a flashlight, and search around under the driverside dash to verify.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2003...chassis--pedal

Stopper pad:
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-74015-.../dp/B001C6JCTQ

In addition, there could also be something wrong with the #5 Cruise control Actuator Assembly. If so, you may be able to pick one up at a salvage yard buy searching car-part.com in your local area.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2003...s--auto-cruise

Ok, I'm thoroughly confused now. You mentioned several parts but the diagram you supplied only contains some.

1. brake switch? Is the brake switch the same as the Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly? is the term used interchangeably?

#3. Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly? Am I'm to assume that if this is present then there is a separate Brake light switch? or is the brake switch & Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly the same?

#4. Pedal Stopper Pad. I understand this.

THIS IS SWITCH ON MY 2003 ACURA TL. 3.2

THIS IS THE SWITCH AT A JUNK YARD OFF A 2003 ACURA TL.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

follow up question: Is there a certain way, length I need to do to ensure both the brake switch as well as the cruise control assembly switch is properly engaged? I heard everything from the 2 penny method to others.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike Brazil View Post
Ok, I'm thoroughly confused now. You mentioned several parts but the diagram you supplied only contains some.

1. brake switch? Is the brake switch the same as the Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly? is the term used interchangeably?

#3. Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly? Am I'm to assume that if this is present then there is a separate Brake light switch? or is the brake switch & Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly the same?

#4. Pedal Stopper Pad. I understand this.

THIS IS SWITCH ON MY 2003 ACURA TL. 3.2

Brake Switch is a generic description supplied by thoiboi above.

#3 Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly is it's proper descriptor as per the parts diagram blowout. If you examine the 'line item' descriptions on the parts link you will find that there is no 'brake switch' per se.

The only line item with the word 'switch' listed is the #3 Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly.

It appears in the picture above, from your 03 TL, that the 'yellow' highlighted pedal stopper pad is intact, in fact it looks new. Therefore, at least that is not your issue. That's to bad, because it's the simplest and least expensive item in question.

The item highlighted in 'red' is the #3 Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly.

In addition, you may have already done this; however, check the No.6 (15A) fuse in the driver's side fuse/relay box to see if it is blown. It pertains to the cruise control functionality as well as others.

The attachment depicts the Brake Pedal and Brake Pedal Position Switch Adjustment procedure should you need it.

Furthermore, just an FYI. If the Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly or #5 Cruise control Actuator Assembly is not the culprit, there may be something wrong with the 'Driver's Multiplex Control Unit'. If so, then you may want to go to an Acura dealership for confirmation.

Good Luck!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Brake PedalPosition.pdf (83.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Zeta, THANK you for your detailed response. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

UPDATE: Great News My Cruise Control is working again!!!

Apparently when I previously replaced my brake light switch, I didn't properly adjust it to make sure it fully engaged the Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly (aka cruise control). After much reading on this forum, asking a ton of questions and reading a shit load of information about troublshooting the Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly (aka cruise control), I brought a new brake light switch (aka Stop and Cruise Switch Assembly aka cruise control switch) (i mangled the old brake light switch trying to remove it in the dark), made the correct adjustment and "wwwhoooo -hoooo" my cruise control started to work again.

SUPER THANKS FOR EVERYONE AND THEIR INPUT!!!

Last edited by Mike Brazil; 12-29-2018 at 11:39 PM. Reason: clarity