Car shakes/rattles/shimmy 40-60mph fix!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TLer trash
You do realize that I was responding only to post#27 by neejay. His description of a shake that only happens in the morning when he first gets on the highway, and not later in the day, still sound like tire flatspotting to me. I am referring to the kind that comes from sitting overnight, not from skidding as fsttyms mentioned.
uhmm sorry don't agree with either of you and a tire flat spotting from sitting over night, just doesn't happen, now it might loose a pound or two of air pressure but again that typically doesn't throw the balalnce off.

Several bad points on this thread, an alignment can not and will not cause a vibration shimmy or any movement, defective parts do, not the alignment.

Brakes don't sqeak unless they are improperly installed and several other comments about break noise are in left field.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by rcb2000
uhmm sorry don't agree with either of you and a tire flat spotting from sitting over night, just doesn't happen, now it might loose a pound or two of air pressure but again that typically doesn't throw the balalnce off.

Several bad points on this thread, an alignment can not and will not cause a vibration shimmy or any movement, defective parts do, not the alignment.

Brakes don't sqeak unless they are improperly installed and several other comments about break noise are in left field.
Yes, tire flat spotting DOES happen from sitting.

And yes, brakes CAN squeak when installed properly. Ever hear a race car with cold brakes? Are you going to tell me that they installed the pads wrong? Why do you think they put shim plates and anti squeal on pads
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yes, tire flat spotting DOES happen from sitting.

And yes, brakes CAN squeak when installed properly. Ever hear a race car with cold brakes? Are you going to tell me that they installed the pads wrong? Why do you think they put shim plates and anti squeal on pads
typically if they are squeaking it's because the outside pad is not tight to the caliber. Carbon brakes a race car may use are a totally different animal.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
typically if they are squeaking it's because the outside pad is not tight to the caliber. Carbon brakes a race car may use are a totally different animal.
Having the outside pad tight to the caliper is typical on many domestic cars, but many imports use grease and/or shims to let the pads move somewhat freely in the caliper. There are many more causes than improper installation that cause pad squeal. I've never seen a tsb on brake noise that lists improper assembly as a cause. I won't argue that many times squeal comes after a sloppy install, just not always.
Tire rack's website has info on tire flatspotting if you are interested.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Racer

Having the outside pad tight to the caliper is typical on many domestic cars, but many imports use grease and/or shims to let the pads move somewhat freely in the caliper. There are many more causes than improper installation that cause pad squeal. I've never seen a tsb on brake noise that lists improper assembly as a cause. I won't argue that many times squeal comes after a sloppy install, just not always.
Tire rack's website has info on tire flatspotting if you are interested.
UUUHHHMMMM sorry

the shims are not needed to start with and will not prevent any thing and will on create additional noise, the grease is for the self adjusting feature of the caliber. On The tl style caliber, if the retainers are bent worn or not installed correctly then the pads sqeak, the older style brake calibers the outter pad is clamped on basicly, newer style use a retainer system that is basiclly a fancy spring as the pad is held be two ears on the pad in a groove in the caliber.

Flat spotting tire please it would have to rewrite the laws of physics and plastic deformation. So I don't agree with the BS that a car sitting over night or even for a couple of days is going to temperarerly flat spot a tire, now have an under inflatted tire and leave the car sit for a month or two yes that will cause permiment damage to the cords internal to the tire and create a problem but don;t feel that is the case here.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator

UUUHHHMMMM sorry

the shims are not needed to start with and will not prevent any thing and will on create additional noise, the grease is for the self adjusting feature of the caliber. On The tl style caliber, if the retainers are bent worn or not installed correctly then the pads sqeak, the older style brake calibers the outter pad is clamped on basicly, newer style use a retainer system that is basiclly a fancy spring as the pad is held be two ears on the pad in a groove in the caliber.

Flat spotting tire please it would have to rewrite the laws of physics and plastic deformation. So I don't agree with the BS that a car sitting over night or even for a couple of days is going to temperarerly flat spot a tire, now have an under inflatted tire and leave the car sit for a month or two yes that will cause permiment damage to the cords internal to the tire and create a problem but don;t feel that is the case here.
Kinda hard to take anyone seriously that is debating brakes with others when they dont know its a CALIPER, not a CALIBER.
Also whats your excuse for "floating pads"? I have heard them squeal. Kinda hard to install them wrong since they just drop into place and float in the caliper. Brakes Can and do squeak, even with "proper" installation.

I guess the experts are all wrong, or have re-written the laws of physics.

Read this and tell us we are still wrong!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=42&
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Racer

Kinda hard to take anyone seriously that is debating brakes with others when they dont know its a CALIPER, not a CALIBER.
Also whats your excuse for "floating pads"? I have heard them squeal. Kinda hard to install them wrong since they just drop into place and float in the caliper. Brakes Can and do squeak, even with "proper" installation.

I guess the experts are all wrong, or have re-written the laws of physics.

Read this and tell us we are still wrong!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=42&
WELL I GUESS my spelling is as poor as your reading skills that pretty much backed up what I stated. Said yes you let them sit long enough they will flat spot maybe you missed all the variables they listed.

Ever notice the bosses on the back of the brake pads what are those for hold them in place against the caliper, or why they sell brake hardware kits, replace the brakes you need to replace the retainer too otherwisse your floating pads will sqeak because the dumb ass that install them didn't replace the old worn out retainer.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Spelling skills, reading skills......apparently missed the "parked overnight in cold temperature" part. Thanks for posting the link, Kris.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
UUUHHHMMMM sorry

Wasn't your 'claim to fame' ignition systems & timing belt construction, or does it now encompass brake systems also?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

WELL I GUESS my spelling is as poor as your reading skills that pretty much backed up what I stated. Said yes you let them sit long enough they will flat spot maybe you missed all the variables they listed.

Ever notice the bosses on the back of the brake pads what are those for hold them in place against the caliper, or why they sell brake hardware kits, replace the brakes you need to replace the retainer too otherwisse your floating pads will sqeak because the dumb ass that install them didn't replace the old worn out retainer.
Guess you cant read either and missed the
have been parked overnight in cold temperatures, or parked for an extended period of time...
Have you ever seen a set of top load 2 and 4 piston calipers? Have you ever changed pads on them? You pull a pin out, and pull the pads out, compress the pistons, and "drop" the pads in and slide the pin back in to hold them in so they dont come out. There are NO bosses that hold them in place, no retainers, they float.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Racer

Guess you cant read either and missed the

Have you ever seen a set of top load 2 and 4 piston calipers? Have you ever changed pads on them? You pull a pin out, and pull the pads out, compress the pistons, and "drop" the pads in and slide the pin back in to hold them in so they dont come out. There are NO bosses that hold them in place, no retainers, they float.
yes and with that type of system you will have four pistons in the caliper and both pads will be pushed against the rotor, the pad or pads in this case that are against the piston where the force is applied will not sqeak thus they can float, stock style caliper for corvettes dating back to the 70's but Traditional factory calipers 95% of all cars on the road do not have four piston calipers so the outside pad squeaks if not properly installed since there is less force on it than there is on the inside pad that is against the piston in the caliper.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hopefully someone can help me out. here is my problem. My car shakes/shudders (forward/back movement, feels bunch of air pockets in the engine causing it to move back and forth) when i reach 50-60 miles per hour. Both happens in 4th and 5th gear. Also, it only happens if gas pedal is stepped on lightly and held at a certain point. reading the notes above, seems like an axle issue but we check the boot and axle, there was no grease or tears visible. Advise?

Here are some possibilities that my friends told me:
1) axle
2) idle control valve
3) ECU
4) engine mounts
5) recently had TB/IM spacers and p2r plenums installed, maybe a missed hose connection? wrong install?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Instructor

anyone?

Originally Posted by cisgwaping
hopefully someone can help me out. here is my problem. My car shakes/shudders (forward/back movement, feels bunch of air pockets in the engine causing it to move back and forth) when i reach 50-60 miles per hour. Both happens in 4th and 5th gear. Also, it only happens if gas pedal is stepped on lightly and held at a certain point. reading the notes above, seems like an axle issue but we check the boot and axle, there was no grease or tears visible. Advise?

1) axle
2) idle control valve
3) ECU
4) engine mounts
5) recently had TB/IM spacers and p2r plenums installed, maybe a missed hose connection? wrong install?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppler

now the most popular car shake/shimmy

4. IF CAR SHAKES/RATTLES WHILE ACCELERATING ANYWHERE AROUND 40-60MPH

CAUSE: BAD. HORRIBLE. BENT. WARPED. IF NOT CRACKED AND ALMOST BROKEN AXLES!

sorry to say, but thats what it is. its your axles.
how do i know this?
because i did everything from, new tires-> tire balance->tire swap->allignment-> new coilvers-> allignment->tire balance->new side engine mount->replace axles->return engine mount

finally, the shaking is gone.

just go buy aftermarket axles, oem and aftermarket are SAME EXACT THING, packaging is different, the logo is different, and the box has basically no design whatsoever. thats 60% discount for you.

rebuilt axles run around $30-40. new aftermarket runs around $60-80 each. replace both of them!

and enjoy the smooth ride, just like it how it was when you first drove the car

enjoy!
Wow, i just had all my motor mounts replaced (from junk urethane) and my 04 TL started vibrating at 40-60mph. I got suggestions from tires, rims, torque converter to throttle body. IMO it was the Axel, but no one really thought that's what it was. Thanks for the more probable confirmation!

I really dont understand why dealers and maniacs cant diagnose problems anymore, even logical ones like this...

Last edited by CJR238; 06-01-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cisgwaping

1) axle
2) idle control valve
3) ECU
4) engine mounts
Doesn't sound like the same issue (50-60 4th and 5th gear) maybe have the fuel system cleaned out. Keep searching, i found this thread after looking at dozens with not exzacley the same symptoms.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CJR238
Wow, i just had all my motor mounts replaced (from junk urethane) and my 04 TL started vibrating at 40-60mph. I got suggestions from tires, rims, torque converter to throttle body. IMO it was the Axel, but no one really thought that's what it was. Thanks for the more probable confirmation!

I really dont understand why dealers and maniacs cant diagnose problems anymore, even logical ones like this...
Just to update it was my Axel that was causing the shaking on acceleration between 40-60.

The key confirmation was when we had it up on the rack we put it up to 50mph and no shaking, but apply some breaks and the motor shook like crazy.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Cruisin'

when you say shake/shimmy to you mean all the time or once in a while my car does it but every one in a while not all the time and just while cruising is when i notice it does it not under hard acceleration would that still be the axles?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
While it's possible that the driveshaft axles are causing the problems due to worn splines or joints......there are other simple things that should be ruled out first, IMO.

Tires that are out of round or improperly balanced, along with untrue rims are the first place to check, then brakes....steering....suspension components all need evaluated.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by radiofred
when you say shake/shimmy to you mean all the time or once in a while my car does it but every one in a while not all the time and just while cruising is when i notice it does it not under hard acceleration would that still be the axles?
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
While it's possible that the driveshaft axles are causing the problems due to worn splines or joints......there are other simple things that should be ruled out first, IMO.

Tires that are out of round or improperly balanced, along with untrue rims are the first place to check, then brakes....steering....suspension components all need evaluated.
Cost me a lot of time and money to go through each possibility when it was very clear (at least to me) what was wrong (axle) after reading this thread. But I agree with you for most.

However a very detailed list of what makes the problem A instead of B can be very helpful. For example radiofred doesn't seem to have all the exact issues I had and he should look at tires rims steering components first like you say.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by radiofred
Since your symptom's aren't exzacley like mine then no, its probubly not the Axles.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Cruisin'

Shimmy/shakes

Ive had many rims and tires on the the car with the same effect, I have brand new CCW rims and falken tires, brakes/rotors are brand new, I'm lowered on BC racing coilovers with air cups, brand new upper control arms, sway bar links, and a fresh alignment the car is very low but it did it before I had lowered it the only time I noticed it did it the least was when I was on corvette saw blade rims
Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Check all the lower end suspension/steering components.
Are the LBJ, WB, control & trailing arm's bushings, tie rod ends, drive shafts & etc. all tight ?

If ya are really low....these parts take a beating !!!!
Old 05-23-2015, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

1996 Buick Regal

My car faithfully shakes/shimmy's every time I reach 40 mph. I just put new break pads front/rear and replaced rotors and calipers, rear. My car did not shake/shimmy til after I fixed my breaks....the work was done by a trustworthy mechanic with 30 years experience. He says my wheels need aligned.... The tire shop says they don't???? A friend of mine says its the tie rod? I have very little knowledge of cars so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Again, once I reach 40mph my car shimmies and shakes, when I reach 50 it levels out and rides great....?????
Old 09-02-2015, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

high speed shaking

I have an 03 Acura TLS and when I am doing 120 - 130 km it starts to shake/lose power - I don't see the RPMS drop at all but it is like the car just "dies" for a second, I have had a tune up done on it, transmission fluid is fine etc. so I am at a loss as to what it could be - any ideas? Never had this problem with my Nissan Titan!
Thanks!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

2003 RSX shutter

In automatic if I'm doing 40-45 mph and let off the gas or I am barely pressing the gas the car shakes back and forth for a few seconds. In manual it doesn't do it. But the car shifts up and down fine in both setting. Any ideas?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
You do realize that I was responding only to post#27 by neejay. His description of a shake that only happens in the morning when he first gets on the highway, and not later in the day, still sound like tire flatspotting to me. I am referring to the kind that comes from sitting overnight, not from skidding as fsttyms mentioned.
Yeah, I have the same issue. In the morning, I drive about 1 mile then pull onto a 55 mph highway. I get some vibrations for a couple miles then it goes away. Every morning. I've found the problem is less severe when the tires are inflated to proper pressure.

Once I went on vacation and my car sat in a lot for about five days, in very cold weather. Went I got back and pulled onto the freeway, the shaking was severe for a bit, then went away. Very annoying. I thought something was wrong with the car at first.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
I think it's hard to take him seriously because of posts like this:

https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...cement-934708/

I would say your just a tool that has never been paid to fix someone's car for a living asshole. And since when do you have to jack with the intake when dealing with the front suspension dick.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:40 PM
3rd Gear

You sound like you have a lot of experience with Acura's. Having repeated problems with inside tire wear on the front of my son's 2001 cl type S automatic. Factory rims and spring height. Any suggestions? Have it aligned by an Acura dealer will be our next move.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
04 6 speed.. 156k original owner Just replaced with OEM ..mid axle and still have vibration between 60-65 ... I spent over 700.00 on this problem now and still no solution .. : ( I happens under torque more than on level surfaces ..

HELP !
Old 05-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by zexi
04 6 speed.. 156k original owner Just replaced with OEM ..mid axle and still have vibration between 60-65 ... I spent over 700.00 on this problem now and still no solution .. : ( I happens under torque more than on level surfaces ..

HELP !
If you went to a shop and they quoted you $700 to fix the problem, I would go ask them to re-diagnose and deeply discount the work they didn't catch the first time. Its most likely a bent rim, brake rotor, or even the new axle is off balance.