Broken Radio Code~

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Broken Radio Code~

I installed a Blitz Aux adaptor for my mp3 player, and one day it started making some funny screeching noises, and then my radio shut off and the security code error came up. The problem is, my security code isn't working. Is it possible for the security code to get messed up like that? Anyways, the dealer wants to get the serial number to double check with Acura. Is there an easy way to get the serial code without taking out the radio? Can you see it with a tiny mirror or something? I'd rather just do it myself and save a trip to the dealer if possible...
Old 12-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Banned

my security code came on a plastic credit card looking thing. it was put in one of the card pockets of the manual book. did you look there yet? the card is white with red writing on it with the big black code for the radio.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:02 PM
Banned

oh ya the code is no where on the stereo unit. what would be the purpose of putting the code on the unit if its the code which protects you from it being stolen! so if you cant find the card you have to cross reference the vin which probably only a dealer can get for you.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Advanced

I've done it twice and the radio is a pain in the arse to take out. Second time took me about half an hour to remove all the pieces. There are a lot of screws you have to take out and if you want to take it out completely you have to strip off everything including the glove compartment. I lost my code and had to take it out and bring it to the dealer and they hooked it up to a machine and it prints out the proper radio code. Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Plus dealer told me there is no way to get the code without taking the whole unit out as they need to hook it up to their computer.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:31 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

heres how to find your code

1) sit in the drivers seat
2) lean over and open up glove box
3) look on the left side of the glove box (the part that is hidden when it is closed) It should be right there on a white label.

If it's not there than you can call up your acrua dealer and give them your VIN number. They can look it up in their computer for you.

Good luck
Old 12-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Instructor

ok....I guess I wasn't very clear. I have the security code. However, it's not working. The dealer tried it too, and said it wasn't working (Like I can't figure out how to read instructions and punch in a security code ) Anyways, they want to get the serial number off the radio, to double check it with acura, incase they gave me the wrong security code sticker.

Anyways, I figured out how to get the serial number on 2002 models. Press and hold 1 and 6 as you turn on the radio, and the serial number will show up on the screen. My serial number showed up as 3000-1676. However, the security card in my manual says BC00-1676. Is it possible I screwed something up electronically? Remember, this all happened when I had a Blitz aux adaptor hooked up, and the radio started making funny noises, then shut off.

Some people have said they called ACURA and got the security code. Anyone know what number this is? My dealer won't give it to me over the phone! The whole point is I wanted to save a trip to the dealership....
Old 12-11-2002, 10:01 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOULTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disconnected the battery to do something to my car, when i reconnected the battery and tried to turn on the radio, it ask me for my code, well, i thought i knew the code off my mind, so i entered 4 wrong codes...So i got pissed and went looking for my plastic card with the code on it. The problem is that i got my radio replaced once and i had two codes on the card (i wrote the other code on). So i got the card and inputed the code in...well, it didn't work, so i did it again, and i tried the other one a couple of times. Well, there is an ADDITIONAL security measure on these...it keeps people from guessing the code by entering random numbers in...you HAVE to KEEP entering the valid code a couple of times, 2-4 times so the radio knows that you're not just guessing the code and will reactivate the radio.

It also says to do this on the card.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by parvo99
Press and hold 1 and 6 as you turn on the radio, and the serial number will show up on the screen.
so if i do that on my radio will the code show up so i can double check see if i have the right one or not??
Old 12-11-2002, 11:53 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by 69tl

so if i do that on my radio will the code show up so i can double check see if i have the right one or not??
He said it shows the serial number when u do this..
Old 12-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Instructor

It' FIXED!

Well, thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, pressing 1+6 and turning it on will show the serial number, not the code. This is only confirmed on 2002 and up. It turns out, the serial numbers BC00-1676 and 3000-1676 are the same. The service consultant called acura, and I guess told him to try pulling the radio fuse. He looked around under the hood, and then inside the car, and never found the passenger side fuse box . Anyways, he did something under the hood pretending to pull fuses, but no luck. After he left, I pulled the radio fuse, and the radio reset and accepted the code! I guess something shorted out and locked it up. Anyways, so if your radio won't accept your security code, try resetting it by pulling the fuse

The service consultant wasn't too competent, but he did order a new radio right away, I asked him if it would be in by Sat, and he made sure it would be....too bad I don't need it anymore.....

oh, and if you get "err" cause you punched in the wrong code too many times, it automatically resets when pulling the fuse, you don't have to wait 30-60 minutes. So much for security! :p
Old 12-12-2002, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

sweet...once again prove that those service manager know jack about cars (ei. their jobs) !!!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by parvo99
Anyways, I figured out how to get the serial number on 2002 models. Press and hold 1 and 6 as you turn on the radio, and the serial number will show up on the screen.
Can you elaborate on this? I tried this on my '02 TL-S stock head unit and it does not work. Holding down the 1 and 6 will not allow the radio to turn on with the power knob. And even if I turn on the radio by starting the car (radio was on when car was turned off) I don't see it on the display.

Please give the exact steps you took (as well as what position the key was in and how you turned on the radio (FM button, CD button, power button, etc).
Old 12-20-2002, 06:49 PM
Instructor

First, I have a 2003, but the post I found it on said it works for 2002. Anyways, I just start with the radio off, and the key in any position that will allow the radio to turn on. Then I just hold 1 and 6 and then press the power knob. That's it. The post I read did say it works when the radio is locked. Maybe it doesn't work if it's not locked? I'll check tonight after work and let you know....
Old 12-22-2002, 07:38 PM
Banned

well if you saw the tl Type S post on Easter eggs your answer is there. i think it says hold the 1 button and 6 button att he same time and the code is displayed on ur navigation

hopefully you got a navigation.. hehehe sorry.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:36 PM
Race Director

You guys are all correct you press 1 & 6 and Power to get the serial but thats ONLY if the Unit IS LOCKED.. To get the unit locked enter a bunch of wrong number codes when it asks for it, do this coupe times and it should get the unit locked.. Than do the 1 & 6 thing..

I have not tried this just saying what I heard on the forums
Old 12-23-2002, 11:07 AM
Instructor

I tried it, and yeah, it only works if your radio is locked. And, it's not on the navigation screen. It shows up in 2 parts on the radio display.