Brake job

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake job

So my brakes on my 2003 Acura TL need to be replaced. When i step on the brakes and get to about 15-20 mph and lower it feels like metal on metal.There is no shaking of the steering wheel when braking.i haven't used the car since I felt it but before this there was no indication that the brakes were low. So anyways I change my rotors and pads 11,000 miles ago which seems like not much usage on those pads and rotors. How can I tell if I need new rotors? Thank you

Last edited by Acuratl3535; 08-08-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would make sure both calibers are releasing properly. Make sure they slide smoothly on the pins. Those pins can get corroded and this will cause the brakes to stick because the caliber will not slide freely when the brake pedal is released. I always clean and repack them with grease everytime I do a brake job on my car.

Do the rotors have any groves cut into them. Could just be on one side of one rotor. You can measure rotor thickness and runout with the right tool but these days I just replace them. Nowhere around me to get them turned anyway.