AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Bluetooth (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/bluetooth-967996/)

mrmyth 03-12-2018 07:45 PM

Bluetooth

2003 Acura TL

I used to use a cassette that connected to my phone to play my iPhone through the stereo, but that suddenly stopped working one day about 5 years ago. It just keeps autoreversing over and over. I tried different ones and even tried taking the cassette apart according to a youtube video and it didn't work.

I then tried to get a new stereo but was informed that these factory stereos on these cars are very expensive to replace because of the configuration of the dashboard.

Is there a simple solution to listen to my iPhone 8 plus audio through my stereo?

Iggy 03-12-2018 08:50 PM

Get an aftermarket head unit. Bluetooth, hands free, backup camera, etc......the sky is the limit

Skirmich 03-12-2018 10:23 PM

Agree..
My Kenwood HU has been amazing for all these years.. Its pretty outdated but since my Audio Setup is pretty bad-ass I donīt feel the need to update it. So I highly recommend going with a modern Aftermarket Unit, Specially one with Android Auto or Apple Carplay, Save you all the hassle.

mrmyth 03-13-2018 03:22 AM

Okay, thanks, this is promising! Apple Carplay too.

Karanx7 03-13-2018 12:49 PM

I just plugged in a GTA car kit into the back of the stock radio. Works very well.

mrmyth 03-14-2018 05:07 AM

Iggy 03-14-2018 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by mrmyth (Post 16200895)

Doubt it, that unit is not compatible with our vehicle.

This one is : https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/a...phone-aux-kit/

The interface units will work and are easier to install but they have limited functionality. Considering the ancient technology of our factory stereos I still think an aftermarket HU is the way to go if you can swing it financially.

Arkady 03-14-2018 08:29 PM

check your steering wheel controls. i had an issue where one of the buttons was stuck activated with the internal mechanism and it kept messing around with my cassette controls.
i dont like the look of the aftermarket units, nor the price, so i ended up wiring a bluetooth chip to the casette audio outputs and run my bluetooth that way. No machine can tell me that I can't connect my phone while going 60mph down the freeway!
I'll post a DIY if you're interested but the easiest option would be to just go after-market.

mrmyth 03-15-2018 01:30 AM

I think I might go with the aftermarket version, if I can get it installed without ruining the look of my console, and if I can afford it. Although I am intrigued by this Bluetooth chip you mention.

Iggy 03-15-2018 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Arkady (Post 16201481)
check your steering wheel controls. i had an issue where one of the buttons was stuck activated with the internal mechanism and it kept messing around with my cassette controls.
i dont like the look of the aftermarket units, nor the price, so i ended up wiring a bluetooth chip to the casette audio outputs and run my bluetooth that way. No machine can tell me that I can't connect my phone while going 60mph down the freeway!
I'll post a DIY if you're interested but the easiest option would be to just go after-market.

Arkady, I was in the same boat as far as aesthetics for a very long time, but when it came time to REALLY upgrade my audio I found that aftermarket was the only way to go. Couldn't be happier with my choice. Hands Free with microphone above rear view mirror, Excellent bluetooth interface, DVD, CD, Camera, Car play, and many other options. Not sure what you mean by connecting at 60mph, I can connect at anytime(I bypassed the parking brake connection)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e2e4fcc9b.jpeg

Iggy 03-15-2018 05:51 AM

I'd also add that I installed an ASWC-1 steering wheel control interface which works flawlessly with all the wheel buttons. Very easy to install with an aftermarket HU.

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product...Acura&Model=TL

Arkady 03-15-2018 07:20 PM

I think I deleted the images I took of the construction but I'll be picking around in there soon to upgrade some connections that were half-assed. I'll take some pictures of that and explain what I did - super straightforward after I figured out where the connect it. Now running the Bluetooth playback controls through the clockspring and up the steering wheel, now that was something.

As iggy points out though youre gonna get a lot more out of an after market unit.
Still doesn't fit my dirty hipster aesthetic though:P

GraveDigger 03-16-2018 10:24 AM

mrmyth - I have been using the same Bluetooth tape for the last year. Same as yours mine like to skip back and forth from auto reversing. With all the dents and scratches my car has, I've been debating if I want to spend the money on buying one of the GTA Units/ Grom to keep the stock head unit or upgrading. Is it possible to get an aftermarket unit with Bluetooth under $300?

Iggy - Did that A/C headunit come stock on your TL or did you get that off another vehicle?

Arkady 03-16-2018 10:37 AM

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing iggy, did you install two separate LCDs into your car?
also, smart call on bypassing the brake line. Was that an easy task? A few of my buddies got aftermarket HUs and complain about that feature.

Iggy 03-16-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Arkady (Post 16202372)
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing iggy, did you install two separate LCDs into your car?
also, smart call on bypassing the brake line. Was that an easy task? A few of my buddies got aftermarket HUs and complain about that feature.

A/C controls are on my stock NAV display. The brake bypass is a super easy and there's tons of videos on how to do it.

You can find double din head units for as little as 100 bucks. Just depends on what you want for features and can afford. Start with a google search for double din , research the options and user reviews, and pull the trigger.:thumbsup: