2001 TL radio won’t allow code entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 TL radio won’t allow code entry

Hi, My 2001 tl stereo became stuck on one station and none of the presets, the tuner, the am/fm, cd or any other buttons did anything. Power and volume still worked for the one station. Since I have my code, I disconnected and then reconnected the battery so I could reset the stereo. Now when I turn it on, the screen says code, but it doesn’t let me enter a code or anything else. I press the buttons to enter the numbers and nothing happens. Its as though the entire stereo controls and buttons are dead. All I can do is turn it on and get the code screen and then I’m stuck. Is my stereo dead? Could it be a fuse issue? Are there buttons I can press that might respond? I get absolutely no reponse and Ive pushed every button on the front of it multiple times.
Thanks
Old 05-18-2018, 09:00 AM
wng
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I've never had this problem myself, but in other threads where people have a problem with their radio not accepting the code, it was because of interference from the radio signal. To fix that, either disconnect the antenna, or find an underground garage where you're not getting any signal, then try entering the code. Also, you may need to disconnect and reconnect it again because if you try it more than a few times unsucessfully, the radio locks up.

However, it sounds like you might have another problem since your buttons weren't working before the battery disconnect, but if it's convenient to go to an underground garage, might as well give that a try. Did the steering wheel controls work before the battery disconnect?
Old 05-18-2018, 01:12 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you. On this TL, there are not radio controls on the steering wheel. I may try that disconnect of the antenna if I can figure out how. As you mentioned, I doubt that it will bring the buttons back to life, but it can’t hurt at this point. Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:19 PM
wng
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by erikgonow
Thank you. On this TL, there are not radio controls on the steering wheel. I may try that disconnect of the antenna if I can figure out how. As you mentioned, I doubt that it will bring the buttons back to life, but it can’t hurt at this point. Thanks again.
Look up previous threads on this, but disconnecting the antenna is a lot more work than just driving into underground parking. You either have to open up the dash to access the antenna wire going to the radio or disconnect the antenna wire in the rear glass. But some people live in areas where underground parking is rare, so that is the only other workaround.