Best lowering coilover

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Best lowering coilover

Hi guys, I'm new to all of this and I'm barely going to start working on my 2nd Gen TL. I wanted to know what coil overs are best to lower my car to meet the tire.
Or is they any other way for it to look good? Please include pictures if possible. Thank you.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Coils would be your best bet. Tein is reputable company, but, I heard from others that they don't go low enough. When I had my 2G TL-S a lot of people where on Function Form, but, I don't know if that's still the case.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
FF ride is I'd stay away from them. TEIN or Koni's would be my suggestion.

or just cut your springs
Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do your research here. i've seen a lot of positive feedback on the tein's, except for some noise that there is a thread on. the basis are [harder] to install, because you'll need to uninstall your top hat and a bunch of washers/bumpers from the stock setup and reinstall on the tein's. heelandtoe has one you can buy with the OE kit installed or uninstalled, but this keeps disassembly to a minimum. i've spoken to marcus there so many times now. i just bought a set and waiting for shipment.

the ff type 1s have had mixed reviews. midori has type 2s i think and loves them. they do drop you lower, but hear they don't ride like stock. i want a stock ride, just lower height. i don't want it slammed.

if you want to go higher up in price point, i think bc, ksport are better regarded. don't take my word for the bc and ksport as i've really only shopped at the lowest price point, which are the tein basis and ff type 1s.

i'll definitely have a follow up post in my thread (03 tl-p) that i will document how the tein install goes. i'm just curious if i should be buying other parts to replace while i'm down there (end links, sway bar, ball joints, etc.)
Old 02-08-2018, 01:11 PM
its actually tan

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I love my type 2's and they go super low. But if you have the money I think bc has a better spring rate for the heavy tl's I'll prolly swap to those later on
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Misa
Hi guys, I'm new to all of this and I'm barely going to start working on my 2nd Gen TL. I wanted to know what coil overs are best to lower my car to meet the tire.
Or is they any other way for it to look good? Please include pictures if possible. Thank you.
I have Megan racing on my cls.. they're probably the best coilovers I've used on any car.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I went with BC Racing coilovers and I love them. The ride quality is pretty good. You'll feel the bumps, but that's because I live in San Francisco where the streets are all carved up and infested with potholes. BC's also go really low, if you're deciding to go for that look. However, they are a little pricey. I was torn between Tein, Megan, and BC Racing, but I just decided to pull the trigger on BC. I think you just have to ask yourself what you really want in a set of coilovers. If you just want the basics of coilovers and rock a reliable brand without putting a dent in your wallet, go with Tein. If you want a set of coilovers that can give your car the "slammed & stanced" look and offer ride quality adjustability (softer or harder), look into other brands. Just remember, more features = more money.

Again, it all comes down to what >>YOU<< want in a set of coilovers.

Good luck and happy research!