Notices

Av6 Swap

Old 05-01-2019, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Av6 Swap

I'm so confused now guys based on what I'm hearing from the transmission shop in my area. They have been in business over 26 years now and have a 5 star reviews from near and far.

I emailed yesterday for a quote on the swap and the guy told me that every V^Honda 2003- 2007/Acura 99 - 08 has the transmission problem and it's not worth it doing the swap if it's not a new or remanufactured transmission..

I read a few threads on Accord.net of people with 06-07 having shift issues like ours but I'm not 100% sure what the full issue is... I did mention that many people have done the swap sucessfully and has had no issues but I'm not sure if he read my email properly..

Is there anything truly an issue with 06-07s? Because i'm sure if he's reffering to the non BAYA types.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
I feel that any transmission will die if you don't take care of changing the fluids on a regular interval. About his perspective: I'm pretty sure there's a strong correlation between people who do not maintain their vehicle and those that go to mechanics; I'm not saying this is all whom do but if you take care of it; your chances of ending up there are rare...

He is probably sharing this same experience with you (which could be taken as) "if you don't maintain your Honda transmission...any Honda, you will be back here."

Not to mention, they make more if they sell you a new or rebuilt transmission that they source.

The only shifting issues I am aware of: there seems to be a slightly different behavior in the TQ lockup when going from 4th to 5th in D5. it feels like 4th is in overdrive, and when it switches to 5th the overdrive is turned ON and then it switches off after a little more acceleration. Strange at first, but has been running fine for me otherwise.

I'd still like to hear of mileages from people with the AV6, that might help put others mind's at ease as well? I've got 1500 miles on mine, drove it down the coast to San Diego and back with no issues but I am sure there are others with many more miles on theirs...
Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 123 Likes on 105 Posts
I've driven 35k on my '07 AV6(total of 85k on the trans now) and it still shifts perfectly . Been doing 3x3 every 15k
Old 05-02-2019, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

Received 123 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetiger5 View Post

The only shifting issues I am aware of: there seems to be a slightly different behavior in the TQ lockup when going from 4th to 5th in D5. it feels like 4th is in overdrive, and when it switches to 5th the overdrive is turned ON and then it switches off after a little more acceleration. Strange at first, but has been running fine for me otherwise.

I'd still like to hear of mileages from people with the AV6, that might help put others mind's at ease as well? I've got 1500 miles on mine, drove it down the coast to San Diego and back with no issues but I am sure there are others with many more miles on theirs...
My theory is the TL ECU shift command programming must be slightly different than the Accord's which give us this behavior. As a side note, when I replaced my rear aftermarket motor mount with OEM, the TQ lockup behavior became many times less noticeable. I really don't even notice it anymore.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think this shop wants to do the swap on my car.. I can only find 75k and above mileage transmissions in my area and budget range.. And in that instance they are sayingeven with 75 k it's not worth it to do the swap.. And the price range is even high for 75k... $1100 .. If I do find lower mileage ones it's 80- 150 miles away and close to $ 2000.00.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Where are you looking for trans??

I'd recommend checking craigslist in your area, OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace as well... also try car-part.com

I'm in Northern Cali and found some as cheap as $600 w/ decent mileage online and a few at junk yards for $700 - $800.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
He's in upper state New York where it appears most yard are just asking for a ridiculous $1700 for a a 35K transmission. Most that I see on the west coast are much more reasonably priced which is why I suggested having one shipped.

OP, have you tried negotiating with a local shop? I suspect that they are asking for that amount because someone originally listed their similar mileage part for that amount. I mean...there are 5 in the search results with exactly 37,126 miles!?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chiller2002TL View Post
I don't think this shop wants to do the swap on my car.. I can only find 75k and above mileage transmissions in my area and budget range.. And in that instance they are sayingeven with 75 k it's not worth it to do the swap.. And the price range is even high for 75k... $1100 .. If I do find lower mileage ones it's 80- 150 miles away and close to $ 2000.00.
your gut is usually right!! if you think they are trying to dissuade you simply because they dont want to do the job, then on to the next one.

i grabbed a whole list of transmission shops in my area (about 10) and called each one and talked to them. most of them sounded like the one you are describing- telling me that it's not recommended, should get it remanufactured, etc. if you think about it, if they really wanted to do the job and just swap out your transmission, why do they care what tranny u use?? yeah, i would look elsewhere. imo most big shops or company owned ones act like this. in my list there were only about 3 out of the 10 or so shop that were glad to do the job.

as someone who bought a used tranny with WAY more than 75k on it, i can tell you in the 6 months since then, it's been great to drive it again. listen to the old heads in here, they won't lead you astray! lots of good people in here with experience and knowledge. i can honestly tell you that at least, it worked out for me

good luck on your search.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (05-16-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Iím doing the swap on my 02 type s next week. Bought everything i need and then some to do the job for this swap. I acquired an 07 AV6 Tran with 65k from a junk yard for $824. Read all the forums and everyone that has done this swap say is bullet proof. Again you have to keep up with the regular service. I also have a 99 TL base model with 240k+ with original transmission. Good luck.