Anyone having problems with car starting lately? (weather related?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Anyone having problems with car starting lately? (weather related?)

Has anyone had any trouble with getting their car to start lately? I've noticed that the past few mornings my car has been cranking more than normal and when it starts it seems like its about to stall and then recovers. I've had this happen from time to time, but never days in a row. Could I have just gotten a bad tank of gas? The car is only a year old with about 9500 miles on her, so I doubt its anything like the battery or the alternator.

I was thinking it might be the weather since its been getting warmer lately (although hard warm starts doesn't really make sense I know this car sometimes has more trouble starting when its warm than when its cold..)
Old 04-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i had a problem like that today, got it on the second time
Old 05-01-2003, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Nah, I've had no problems weather-wise and I live in the same area as you, liqice.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Who Needs a Type-S?

Yep my car acted shady yesterday also. Hondas just take long to fire up
Old 05-01-2003, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Never had a problem.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Comptech Freak

becoz of wet weather?
Old 05-01-2003, 01:45 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you settle on blaming the quality of the gas I would look at the ignition wires. Moisture can build up on the engine overnight and make an easy ground trail for wire that's going bad. When the car does fire up does it run a tad rough for a minute or two and run fine after a couple miles? Are you using after market spark plugs with a wider gap? This will increase the amount of voltage it takes to fire off a plug and will give a lot of stress to the ignition wire to the point where it will fail.

Another idea would be timing. Is there a way to check and adjust it on these cars? But that would be another possibility.

Clogged fuel filter?

If your used to driving around with nearly an empty tank then condensation build up in the tank is very possible too. Besides, it's not good for the fuel pump since the gas actually keeps the pump cool.

Just a couple of suggestions....
Old 05-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I dont have any problems with the car once it starts, it runs like a champ. Starts are not always hard though, only seems to happen in the morning and after the car sits at work for 10 hours. I don't have any aftermarket parts on the car (yet), everything is stock.

Not sure on timing, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars, so I don't know if it can be adjusted or not? (I'm guessing you mean adjusting the idle?)

I usually don't let the gas tank fall below 1/4 tank, but the last trip from NJ to VA (~250 miles), I waited until the tank was closer to empty to fill it up. My practice is not to let the fuel gauge drop below 1/4 tank though. My father suggested putting in a bottle of dry gas to help to fix any possible condensation, and if I continue to have problems starting her up I might do that.

Originally posted by Tom Blasing
Before you settle on blaming the quality of the gas I would look at the ignition wires. Moisture can build up on the engine overnight and make an easy ground trail for wire that's going bad. When the car does fire up does it run a tad rough for a minute or two and run fine after a couple miles? Are you using after market spark plugs with a wider gap? This will increase the amount of voltage it takes to fire off a plug and will give a lot of stress to the ignition wire to the point where it will fail.

Another idea would be timing. Is there a way to check and adjust it on these cars? But that would be another possibility.

Clogged fuel filter?

If your used to driving around with nearly an empty tank then condensation build up in the tank is very possible too. Besides, it's not good for the fuel pump since the gas actually keeps the pump cool.

Just a couple of suggestions....