AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Anybody Used Monroe Struts on their TL? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/anybody-used-monroe-struts-their-tl-978518/)

Darksyne 04-04-2019 04:06 PM

Anybody Used Monroe Struts on their TL?

Been thinking about replacing the struts on my 2000 TL for some time now especially since they have the original factory struts with over 270K on them. I know OEM Honda struts are damn near bullet proof and the original ones that are on the car aren't too bad. I'm not noticing an overly bouncy ride or bad tire wear but the fronts are squeaking badly when they bounce so I figured after all this time its probably best to replace the struts and mounts to keep my suspension in tip top shape.

I've been thinking about using Monroe struts since they're the easiest struts for me to get and are the lowest cost with a lifetime warranty, but before I pull the trigger I wanna know if any of you guys have experience using Monroe struts on your TL's or if I should spend more on KYB's or something? Or hell if it's even worth replacing the ancient OEM ones in the first place?

murky 05-24-2019 05:25 PM

I got Monroe quick struts for my wife's Honda Element and they worked fine.

For my 2000 3.2TL I got some Ebay quick struts. They were serviceable but made noises. Eventually I bought some higher quality shocks and a spring compressor and swapped them in to my original strut assemblies. Since the strut assemblies were already out of the car, I could do it at my leisure, rather than being in a hurry. That was several years ago. At the time Monroe did not make quick struts for the TL.

Darksyne 05-25-2019 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by murky (Post 16430790)
I got Monroe quick struts for my wife's Honda Element and they worked fine.

For my 2000 3.2TL I got some Ebay quick struts. They were serviceable but made noises. At the time Monroe did not make quick struts for the TL.

Yeah none of the premium name brands make quick struts for the 2G TL’s for some reason. You either gotta get some expensive coil overs or those Cheap no name brand Ebay quick struts that probably will make the car ride worse than bad oem struts lol. I’m gonna hold off on it for now since the car still drives fine and isn’t affecting my tires.

I recently just replaced both inner and outer tie rods that were also original and man the steering feel is so much better now.

Chiller2002TL 05-26-2019 11:40 AM

I got KYB Excels Gs and they ride a little stiffer than OEM but feels very solid ... Got them off Rockauto.

Mickeyreategui 06-11-2019 11:16 AM

I replaced all mine with kyb g2 struts. One of the fronts blew out, but was replaced under warranty. Besides that, they are a dream to what was on there before

whitetiger5 06-18-2019 12:16 PM

Did you confirm that it was the struts that were squeaking? a lot of the time it ends up being Ball joints or end links; there are many more of those.

If you do end up changing out the struts I would highly recommend also changing out the rubber strut bushings as well as the spring top hat rubber.

thoiboi 06-18-2019 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mickeyreategui (Post 16438186)
I replaced all mine with kyb g2 struts. One of the fronts blew out, but was replaced under warranty. Besides that, they are a dream to what was on there before

:nod:

+1 to KYB. Awesome OEM quality ride for a fraction of OEM cost.