AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Another transmission fluid thread question (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/another-transmission-fluid-thread-question-977900/)

kramerpage 03-12-2019 02:17 PM

Another transmission fluid thread question

Can I use Beck/Arnley part # 2522004 fluid type ATF-Z1 in the 5 speed automatic from Rock Auto?
or is OEM the only snakeoil to use.
2001 acura TL
Thank you

horseshoez 03-12-2019 02:21 PM

Short answer: Yes, since your car specified ATF-Z1, that is an appropriate ATF to use.

Long(er) answer: Honda has superseded ATF-Z1 with DW1 and recommends the latter in all applications which originally called for ATF-Z1. I haven't analyzed the differences; so cannot recommend one way or the other.

EDIT: One thing I find interesting is Amazon sells the B&A ATF-Z1 for $15.00 per quart while at the same time they sell a 4-quart package for $31.74; roughly the half the cost of the B&A.

kramerpage 03-12-2019 02:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. Rock Auto has Z1 for 5.25 a quart. Dealership wants 8.25 but its the new Honda DW-1. Parts kid says they recommend DW over the Z but who knows why he says that since the DW has been discontinued... Its fluid drama for sure.

Hell I dont even know whats inside now. lol The tranny was replaced in 2013 I found out on carfax.

The transmission works now. Fluid needs changed. Its not brown but its on its way.

So long story short I dont want to save pennies and kill the tranny but mostly I dont want to cause harm installing new fluid taking away the friction dirty fluid provides.

Sometimes I over think stuff but I have seen it happen and I have been reading how bad these transmissions are. I am trying to help someone from church....

horseshoez 03-12-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kramerpage (Post 16396918)
Thanks for the reply. Rock Auto has Z1 for 5.25 a quart. Dealership wants 8.25 but its the new Honda DW-1. Parts kid says they recommend DW over the Z but who knows why he says that since the DW has been discontinued... Its fluid drama for sure.

Incorrect, DW-1 is the current Honda/Acura ATF, it is the Z1 which has been discontinued.

Originally Posted by kramerpage (Post 16396918)
Hell I dont even know whats inside now. lol The tranny was replaced in 2013 I found out on carfax.

The transmission works now. Fluid needs changed. Its not brown but its on its way.

So long story short I dont want to save pennies and kill the tranny but mostly I dont want to cause harm installing new fluid taking away the friction dirty fluid provides.

Sometimes I over think stuff but I have seen it happen and I have been reading how bad these transmissions are. I am trying to help someone from church....

Yup, over-thinking. If the provenance of the current ATF is in question, perform what is referred to as a 3x3 (drain the ATF, refill with roughly 3-quarts, drive a bit, and repeat twice more).

kramerpage 03-12-2019 03:35 PM

Yep thats what Im doing. A 3x3 with new filter on the last fill. Its not my car and its all she has, so Im being extra careful. Thank you.

losiglow 03-12-2019 03:36 PM

I'd go with DW-1. It's supposed to be a superior fluid to Z1 and is approved for use in vehicles that originally took Z1.

There have been a couple accounts of transmissions slipping after switching to DW-1. However, the general consensus is that it was due to switching out old crappy fluid for new which can cause slipping if the transmission was significantly worn. Regardless of fluid, if the current fluid is super old and has lots of clutch material and other crap in it, it may provide more friction between the plates which reduces slipping. So in those cases, it has nothing to do with the DW-1 vs Z1 but simply that the transmission was in bad shape to begin with. But if you're fluid currently looks to be in fair shape, that's very unlikely to happen. Only in the case where your fluid is very dark and nasty should that occur.

I don't think I'd go with the Beck'/Arnley stuff though. I'd go with genuine Honda DW-1. I'm a bit of a hypocrite saying that since I've actually switched to Valvoline Maxlife ATF about 50K miles ago. That's another subject though. If anyone asked me with fluid to go with for most any Honda vehicle I'd say DW-1.

Edit: If you're concerned about the effect of different/new fluid, do just one drain/refill and drive it for a little while. Maybe a week or so. If all's well, do another drain/refill then another after a while later.

thoiboi 03-12-2019 04:00 PM

DW over Z any day of the week.. Don't use Z

losiglow 03-12-2019 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16396990)
DW over Z any day of the week.. Don't use Z

Werd. Come to think of it, there was a pretty strong theory that Z1 was actually a significant cause of the failures. Obviously the transmission design was the main culprit but there's a good following of folks that attribute it to the fluid as well.

It would be interesting to get two identical new transmissions from that era and test one with DW-1 and the other with Z1 and see what happens.

thoiboi 03-12-2019 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16396992)
Werd. Come to think of it, there was a pretty strong theory that Z1 was actually a significant cause of the failures. Obviously the transmission design was the main culprit but there's a good following of folks that attribute it to the fluid as well.

It would be interesting to get two identical new transmissions from that era and test one with DW-1 and the other with Z1 and see what happens.

If someone were paying for that test, heck yea... I sure as hell wouldn't do it out of my own pocket :tomato: :rofl:

losiglow 03-12-2019 04:28 PM

Yeah. Any takers?

Not that it matters at this point. 16+ year old transmission (at the newest) and obsolete fluid.

kramerpage 03-14-2019 09:33 AM

I went to Honda and got DW. I will send the 9 quarts of Z back. Thanks for all the valuable info!
Im trying to figure out 3 topics that I have been reading about. 2001 TL
1. the "blue"painted bolt on the transmission??
2. the boot on transmission replaced??
3. the recall bypass installed??