Another positive experience with Amsoil synthetic ATF...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another positive experience with Amsoil synthetic ATF...

I did a 3x3 change from Honda Z1 ATF to Amsoil synthetic ATF a few days ago after a lot of research and after seeing so many positive reviews of the Amsoil in Honda/Acura automatics, and I must say that I did notice an immediate difference in overall shift quality.

The tranny now shifts smoother while also shifting firmer and faster at the same time. It's a little hard to explain but the best way I guess is that with the Honda Z1 ATF it kind of slurred between gear changes for a somewhat smooth transition between gears but not a positive feeling of engagement, seemed more oriented for comfort over sport. But now with the Amsoil synthetic ATF there's no slurring between gears, it's more of a firm yet smooth gear change while actually feeling smoother at the same time. It's a more positive feeling of engagement from one gear to another now for sure.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the Amsoil ATF, the tranny seems to be much happier with a high-quality synthetic ATF over the conventional Honda Z1 and I'm also expecting to get more miles between changes as well considering that the Amsoil can tolerate heat better and doesn't breakdown or shear as easily as Z1 does. I also noticed smoother shifting during cold mornings as well.

One more thing, I was noticing a slight shudder between the 2nd to 3rd gear change while I was running the Z1 fluid, and that shudder seems to be gone now after a few days of driving with the Amsoil fluid. So overall yes I am quite pleased with Amsoil synthetic ATF change.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
where did you get the amsoil from? im looking to do this pretty soon
Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
where did you get the amsoil from? im looking to do this pretty soon
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

It wouldn't let me order it online from the Amsoil site for some strange reason so I called them up and they took the order over the telephone. I ordered one full case (12 quarts) as I did a 3x3 change so that I would be running 100% brand new Amsoil fluid.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts

thank you sir
Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
ck local for amsoil dealers everywhere
almost anyone with a race team or shop has it~
import parts stores

they will sell it less than the main place
Old 03-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Even better would be Redline Synthetic Racing type F. The guys over on the 3G side are all over it.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Volks FTW!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to look into amsoil.. So many good things.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same positive experience and am over a year into it now. I actually did a series of 3X1 changes over the course of several months last year. I guess I am too cheap to throw away good Amsoil ATF that is wasted in the 3X3 method.

BTW, Amsoil's synthetic engine oil is excellent as well. They also sell the NGK Iridium IX spark plugs, but they are a little steep compared to a parts store.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
I Cannot agree, While being far superior Smooth Shifting against the Z1 my tranny spitted out all Amsoil ATF in a trip to San Francisco from the Ventilation tube in the Tranny.

It did shifted good and Smooth while it was Inside the Transmision, Never happened again with the Z1.

PD: Yup did 3x3 Change lasted about 3 months before spitting it all out... It seems my trans only like Z1, Never tried out Red Line Racing Line. Will do in the Next change if Money is not an Issue lol.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skirmich
I Cannot agree, While being far superior Smooth Shifting against the Z1 my tranny spitted out all Amsoil ATF in a trip to San Francisco from the Ventilation tube in the Tranny.

It did shifted good and Smooth while it was Inside the Transmision, Never happened again with the Z1.

PD: Yup did 3x3 Change lasted about 3 months before spitting it all out... It seems my trans only like Z1, Never tried out Red Line Racing Line. Will do in the Next change if Money is not an Issue lol.
Of course I can't be 100% sure but it seems pretty unlikely that this problem was directly caused by switching over to Amsoil synthetic ATF, especially considering that hundreds and thousands of Honda/Acura owners have been using Amsoil as a totally safe replacement for Z1 fluid for many years now with positive results, so Amsoil has certainly proven its worth as a safe and effective replacement for Honda Z1 fluid for long-term. I did a lot of research on Amsoil ATF being used as a replacement for Z1 before I proceeded with the change because I didn't want to do anything to hurt my tranny, and this is the first bad experience I've read with Amsoil ATF in a Honda/Acura automatic.

Although I'm certainly not questioning the validity of your bad experience, I'm just merely pointing out that maybe the problem was coincidental and/or a mechanical issue.

The only way I could really see Amsoil being a "bad" choice would be if it was going into a TL with 100k miles or more on it that has been using Honda Z1 fluid the entire time and has had little to no tranny fluid changes as the normally beneficial additives/cleaners/detergents in the Amsoil synthetic could POSSIBLY cause slipping if the carbon, debri, gunk, etc. covering the clutchpacks and other internal parts is giving the tranny its holding ability, so theoretically the detergents/cleaners/additives that are normally quite beneficial to a transmission COULD wind up being a bad thing in this type of situation.

Last edited by crazyjkz; 03-28-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

PD: Yup did 3x3 Change lasted about 3 months before spitting it all out...
Seems like it would have happened much sooner if Amsoil was truly the problem.

Btw, my TL had almost exactly 100K miles when I started the transition to Amsoil. I don't know the service history of the car as to whether regular ATF changes had been done or not. If no ATF changes have ever ever been done to a car, I would hesitate to make such a dramatic switch of any kind. I might even hesitate to change the fluid at all, even just using Z1. Of course if it's shifting fine then not a problem to leave alone, but if shifting poorly, then what have you got to loose? You may need a new tranny either way.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Regular changes every year since I knew about the Tranny problem starting about at 90K to now at 178K

The Transition was very slowly starting at the 110K Service Mark making a change 1 week then changing another week and finally the last week of change for the AMSOIL (3x3), Its was done like that so it wouldnt be that harsh to the Tranny but nope it didnt survive the Trip.

Never Raced, Never Floored it spitted out cruising at 80miles in the Interstate, Ive noticed a strong ATF smell coming from the ventilation ducts and Id stoped to look what the hell was going on! Noticed the dipstick had about 1/3 below the Low Mark (almost nothing was at the Tip).

Luckily I was traveling with my brother and went back to home in His other car for my stash of Z1 Oil Change, Have NEVER Happened ever Again with the Z1 in more than 40K. Tough it Shifted soooo much better with the Amsoil im going to miss it...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 PM
2003 TL-S w/Navi NBP

Wow that sucks...weird.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Regular changes every year since I knew about the Tranny problem starting about at 90K to now at 178K

The Transition was very slowly starting at the 110K Service Mark making a change 1 week then changing another week and finally the last week of change for the AMSOIL (3x3), Its was done like that so it wouldnt be that harsh to the Tranny but nope it didnt survive the Trip.

Never Raced, Never Floored it spitted out cruising at 80miles in the Interstate, Ive noticed a strong ATF smell coming from the ventilation ducts and Id stoped to look what the hell was going on! Noticed the dipstick had about 1/3 below the Low Mark (almost nothing was at the Tip).

Luckily I was traveling with my brother and went back to home in His other car for my stash of Z1 Oil Change, Have NEVER Happened ever Again with the Z1 in more than 40K. Tough it Shifted soooo much better with the Amsoil im going to miss it...
same thing basically here, 5th gear is basically shot (or the torque convertor basically); luckily i had some spare fluid in the trunk, and with a knife and a waterbottle, got it in to get home

edit: almost forgot, that was on Z1 too

Last edited by friesm2000; 03-28-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Advanced

Well it's been a week since doing the 3x3 Amsoil switch and I'm still surprised yet pleased at the noticeable improvement in overall shift quality when compared to how it was with the Z1. The shifts feel firmer but somehow seem to be smoother at the same time with a more positive feeling of engagement now that definitely feels sportier as opposed to the Z1 which kind of just slurred between one gear to the next with a kind of slushy feel which did make it a somewhat smooth transition between the gears but definitely not in a good way if that makes any sense.

Well supposedly from what I've read on here the Z1 is loaded up with a lot of friction modifier for comfort over sport, and the Amsoil is supposed to have less friction modifier in it than the Z1, plus lots of beneficial additives, detergents, and cleaning agents that the tranny seems to function much better with. Also cold-morning shifting seems to be noticeably smoother as well which used to be harsh with the Z1 until the car was at a fully normal operating temperature.

Some of my friends and family that have been in the car with me since the Amsoil switch have also noticed the improvement especially during half-throttle and WOT.

It seems like this is the way that the tranny should have felt and functioned from when the car was brand new. I'm pleasantly surprised that just switching to a high-quality synthetic ATF like Amsoil could bring such a solid improvement in overall tranmission performance like this. I guess that the Z1 isn't as good as I had originally thought it was.

Last edited by crazyjkz; 03-29-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Pro

Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love amsoil products. use their bearing grease as well
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
I was going for oil change and a trans oil change but after reading some posts here, I'm unsure. When I bought my car, Acura replaced my tranny 3 years ago and it had no trans oil changed since. So how should I go about it. Can switch to Amsoil or go with Z1 ? Any info would be much appreciated guys.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Yea, I think you should still be able to change your ATF with no problems. I'm assuming that your driving 10k-15k per year.

Since you have the redesigned 3rd gear clutch pack, you shouldn't have to worry as much about your tranny. Still, changing up the fluid to something that's been tested can help.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Yea, no more than 15K assuming ur talking miles. I do 20 - 22K kms.
So I can go with Amsoil no worries ?