Acura 99 tl Wont Start After Swapping fuel relay

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Acura 99 tl Wont Start After Swapping fuel relay

Greetings, Yesterday I received a new fuel pump relay for my Acura 99 tl . My car has about 150K miles and since I've bought it a few days ago, I've decided to replace the fuel pump relay due to it's mileage (the relay was working fine). I've swapped the old relay with the new one, but I forgot to disconnect the battery. After swapping the old with the new, I've decided to crank the car, but no good. The car cranks firmly, but it won't start. I thought that the new fuel pump relay came defective, so i swapped the new relay back with the old one ( again forgot to disconnect the damn battery). After swapping the new relay back with the old one, the car still doesn't want to start up ( neither with the old relay, nor with the new one). It cranks steadily, but no start. I've decided to check my fuel pump connections with a light meter and I've noticed that the fuel pump is not getting power when key is turned to position 2.. Some Additional information: No warning lights are appearing when cranking the car. My question is: did I damage both fuel relays because I forgot to disconnect the battery? Or do i need to reset the fuel pump shut off switch (I did not touch it during relay replacement)? Or is it something else that i'm missing? Thank you very much for your time.... below follows additional information of my work procedure:

Procedure: 1) Locate the old relay ( which is next to the steering column on the driver's side) 2) swapped the old relay with the new one.. 3) Start the car 4) after failing to start the car, I've swapped the old relay with the new one...5) start the car again..6) after failing to start again, checked the fuel pump fuse and ECU fuse ( to ensure that those fuses did not get blow) 7) reset the car pc ( by turning the ignition switch to position 2 and hold gas pedal for 30 seconds) 7) tried starting again and failed.. swapped new relay back with the old one... 8) Reset Car pc ( gas pedal method) .. 9) checking if the fuel relay is getting power ( by using a light meter) 10) connected the light meter with the black wire and pinned the red wire ( light meter went on).. connected light meter with black wire and yellow-stripe-green wire.... light meter did not turn of.... connected black wire with yellow-stripe-black wire.. light meter did not turn on..... 11) turn ignition to position 2 and test if fuel pump was getting power with light meter.. no matter which cable I've used, none of them was turning the light meter on.12) This one is obvious: When turning the ignition to position 2, I don't hear the fuel pump priming ( building pressure)......