Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TL/TLX Community > Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
Reload this Page >

3rd Gen Acura TL Comptech Supercharger fitment questions on 2nd Gen......

Notices

Old 03-25-2019, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know what modifications right off the bat will be needed to mount a 3rd Gen Comptech Supercharger onto a 2nd Gen? I believe the charger should bolt up if I'm not mistaken. Thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not sure if you can do that, you're taking a Supercharger meant for another engine and chassis. you're going to have to custom fit it and tune it well because you might blow the engine. anyways where did you find the SC? did they have a 2gen one?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BootySmasher View Post
im not sure if you can do that, you're taking a Supercharger meant for another engine and chassis. you're going to have to custom fit it and tune it well because you might blow the engine. anyways where did you find the SC? did they have a 2gen one?
If Im not mistaken the mounting points should mount up but thats what I need to verify the rest isn't a problem. This is a Comptech kit so they are hard to come by and is why I want to know. Been something Ive been wanting to do on this daily for some time. As long I can confirm the mounting points and pulleys line up the rest I can modify and fit. Tune will be minor as its such a low boosting kit. But yea to answer your question this is all I was able to find was for the 04 and up.

Anyone have access to the installation manuals for both cars?
Old 03-28-2019, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Received 515 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny14 View Post
If Im not mistaken the mounting points should mount up but thats what I need to verify the rest isn't a problem. This is a Comptech kit so they are hard to come by and is why I want to know. Been something Ive been wanting to do on this daily for some time. As long I can confirm the mounting points and pulleys line up the rest I can modify and fit. Tune will be minor as its such a low boosting kit. But yea to answer your question this is all I was able to find was for the 04 and up.

Anyone have access to the installation manuals for both cars?
The OP, ziggyh22, on the thread below did the opposite of what you have in mind.
The approach he used involved 'modification' as you will see.
Read his thread below, it should help your understanding of the job at hand:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...gen-tl-863190/

Good Luck!

Last edited by zeta; 03-28-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zeta View Post
The OP, ziggyh22, on the thread below did the opposite of what you have in mind.
The approach he used involved 'modification' as you will see.
Read his thread below, it should help your understanding of the job at hand:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...gen-tl-863190/

Good Luck!
thank you for the link. Will have to check that out.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone have any comptech parts laying around like the ECM / ACM for the 2nd Gen? FMU? Brackets? Just figured I ask.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 453 Likes on 372 Posts
Does anyone have any comptech parts laying around like the ECM / ACM for the 2nd Gen? FMU? Brackets? Just figured I ask.
Yea, but I'd only be willing to provide the brackets as a donor for a machine shop to make copies. There's a lot of people who need them.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Karanx7 View Post
Yea, but I'd only be willing to provide the brackets as a donor for a machine shop to make copies. There's a lot of people who need them.
Do you happen to know if the brackets are different on the 2nd and 3rd gen and which ones? I think the alternator bracket is different but uncertain. I can get them copied but there will be a cost for it if anyone is willing to cover it. Do you happen to have ECM laying around you may want to part with?
Old 04-24-2019, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Do you happen to know if the brackets are different on the 2nd and 3rd gen and which ones? I think the alternator bracket is different but uncertain. I can get them copied but there will be a cost for it if anyone is willing to cover it. Do you happen to have ECM laying around you may want to part with?
If you decide this isn't going to work, and want to get rid of the comptech kit, please let me know.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Blackura2kz View Post
If you decide this isn't going to work, and want to get rid of the comptech kit, please let me know.
its something I may consider. Iíll pm you to discuss
Old 04-28-2019, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Been something Ive been wanting to do on this daily for some time. As long I can confirm the mounting points and pulleys line up the rest I can modify and fit.
its something I may consider. Iíll pm you to discuss

So what aspect of the 'modification' process changed your mind to entertain selling the S/C'er kit??
The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
Blackura2kz (04-28-2019), Saving4aTL (05-16-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zeta View Post

So what aspect of the 'modification' process changed your mind to entertain selling the S/C'er kit??
Im still fine with installing it but don't know if I have the time right now to modify things to fit it. If I get someone who's interested in buying it its out there but no biggy on my part if I do or don't. Eventually Ill get to it.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:18 AM
Registered Member

Im still fine with installing it but don't know if I have the time right now to modify things to fit it. If I get someone who's interested in buying it its out there but no biggy on my part if I do or don't. Eventually Ill get to it.
Oh, I see.

Since the 3G S/C'er drive shaft is shorter, I was just curious as to what your 'work around' modification idea was going to be to 1) mount the blower unit, to the front head and alternator and most importantly 2) 'elongate' said drive shaft so that it would be alternator belt driven on your 2G TL, among other smaller mods to make the whole thing function.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Rotrex + Comptech TLer

Received 124 Likes on 112 Posts
You could sell the 3G S/C?

These CT SC units are getting rare. I wouldnít modify it. Someone would love one for their 3G.

But if you really wanted to mod it. Just buy the neck and pulley from Heeltoe, this site sponsor. Have a machine shop make the two outer brackets for you, or make them yourself. Itís quite easy. The mid bracket should bolt right up(if you have it on your kit.)

you may may find the neck and pulley on eBay aswell. Brand new.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL View Post
You could sell the 3G S/C?

These CT SC units are getting rare. I wouldnít modify it. Someone would love one for their 3G.

But if you really wanted to mod it. Just buy the neck and pulley from Heeltoe, this site sponsor. Have a machine shop make the two outer brackets for you, or make them yourself. Itís quite easy. The mid bracket should bolt right up(if you have it on your kit.)

you may may find the neck and pulley on eBay aswell. Brand new.
Thanks for the input. Im actually thinking of just selling it as you stated it would be a waste to modify this when its a complete kit for the 3g. I think this was more of a want than a need and the more I think about it Ill just keep an eye out for a straight bolt on. Plus I need the EMU for my car for it to pass Cali smog so even if I get this on it wouldn't pass smog without it. If anything I have my other supercharged car to play with if I need some sort of boost.