3 ques. - turn indicator behaving weirdly

Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
3 ques. - turn indicator behaving weirdly

I have three questions for you all.

1. My side turn indicators are behaving weirdly. If I move them to start the left/right turn indicator, it blinks for 3-5 (random number) times and stops. I have to move it back to normal position again and start over.. It happens randomly. Sometimes the indicator keeps working till it blinks for 10-12 times.
- Any help or ideas on what could be causing the problem?
- The parking/hazard blinkers (when I run both of them using the butting at dashboard) run fine.

2. I lost the button for the front passenger side reading light. Any ideas where I can get it?
I can't upload pic from while at work, so adding ebay link.. I am missing the button.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Acura-T...-/330523766255

3. I recently got the timing belt service done (would not call it 105k as I did it with 130k ). I had bought the tensioner adjuster too. But the mechanic opened the box and did not end up replacing it So, I can't even return it(, I suppose). Any ideas what can I do with the open box tensioner adjuster?

Thanks much guys!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 1,015 Likes on 866 Posts
1: Sound like a Faulty Turn Signal, Replace the Assembly is not that Expensive.

2: I believe there are more than a couple of member who lost that button.
IIRC You need to buy the whole Map Light/Garage Opener assembly you cannot just get that button.

3: What Tensioner Adjuster??? If its from the Timing Belt you should ask WTF he did not installed it! Its an Important part of the system (Granted the OEM can Stand a couple of Changes) But If he did the Timing belt ask him why THE HECK he did not install it!!!
Most autoparts have a 30-Day Return Policy even with opened Box Parts sooo Have you tryied to Return it yet??

If its the Accesory Belt Tensioner you can DIY that EASILY its so simple to replace it....

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-01-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Thanks Skirmich for your response.

1. Any more details about the assembly..sorry never had to deal with turn assembly. (will google/search it here too)

2. Regarding reading light button, it's sad that I have to buy the whole assembly Looks like its time to hit the local store where they take apart the cars n sell the part.. weird can't think of the name.

3. I will check on the tensioner and post back.. I think he just did only wat was necessary.. (time to change the mechanic)
Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Instructor

okay, I googled a bit.. i need more details from you guys. Because my searches resulted in the light stuff..which is next to headlight.
I think it is something related to the electronics or electrical parts.. (something like ignition switch).

Can you share the part number ?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM

OKAY! This is the Turn Signal Assembly:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

The Map Light Assembly is DEALER Only Item! If you can, try your local Junkyard since its Expensive in the Stealership...

The Timing Belt Adjuster its Very Necessary! It loses tension over time and with alot of giggle the Belt can Skip the Timing = Engine Kill...
If its the Accesory Belt Tensioner will only Make Noise...
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Instructor

- Yes, thats what I was imagining in my mind.. Okay, I will buy this assembly.
- I will try the local junkyards for the Map light assembly.
- Will check what part he gave back to me n reply.

Thanks again.

I will search if we have a DIY for turn signal assembly.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:40 PM

Its pretty straight forward.. There are (Mind my Memory) around 4 bolts beneath the Steering wheel Cover once you got them out the Top Cover comes out with a little giggle.

Then you will see both Levers (Turn + Wipers) and their bolts holding them! No Crazy Procedure here.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
When you bought the T-belt, did you also buy the extra kit for it or was the tensioner for the external accessory drive belt ? Do you have a part # for it ? Your parts store will probably take it back, but if you requested your mechanic to replace it.....than it should've been done !
Did the mechanic only replace the T-belt and nothing else ?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
It sounds to me like a bad turn signal flasher.

Does it occur on both sides?

Also, try tapping on the flasher when this occurs with a blunt solid object like the handle side of a med. sized screwdriver. The turn signal flasher is located on the back of the fuse block that sits to left of your feet near the kick panel. In order to reach the flasher relay, you must first pop the lower door trim piece off and then remove the kick panel itself (the panel that covers the fuse block). This will reveal the back side of the block itself. If you're facing the fuse block it's the black square relay located at the bottom right of that block...I believe it has 3 terminals.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (10-04-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Instructor

My bad Skirmich, the indicators stop working for hazard/parking light (both sides on at the same time) too. So it could be flasher.. I turned the flashers on both sides on for a little bit today and found that. Last time I tried, 2 days back, maybe I dint keep them on long enuf for them to stop working. I will see if I can find out some time tomorrow evening and open that flasher area.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 AM
J-series addict

Also, ensure you have 7446 bulbs in the rear and 1157NA bulbs in the front for the turn signals. The wrong bulbs can cause improper flasher operation and/or premature flasher failure. If had a dollar for every car that's came in for that reason alone, I'd be a millionaire. It normally plays out like this: a bulb blows on the car, person replaces bulb but with wrong one (or sometimes all of them), then the person is left with a problem that is worse than before...and doesn't even realize it happened AFTER replacing the bulb(s).
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Sorry for the late reply.. I never changed any bulbs in last 2 and a half years.
If the flasher is bad, which I think is, does anyone know part number for it?

- Found out the details of part he returned. It was timing belt adjuster. So he did change the tensioner. Sorry to confuse you guys
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey Cheekoo, The flasher part# for the aftermarket part Tridon is #EP34, or BWD part #R6235 available at "Advance Auto".
Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 PM
J-series addict

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Cheekoo, The flasher part# for the aftermarket part Tridon is #EP34, or BWD part #R6235 available at "Advance Auto".
Wow...that's a nice set of Googling skills there 3.2TL

To OP, in the future, try this. It's a well known secret that many don't know about. And if they do, they refuse to use it. It's called: Acura OEM part search. Shhhh.

estore.acura.com
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Instructor

thanks! I did not know about this site..
Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
he screwed up and should redo the timing belt job for free
the actual labor once you know which tools and where the hidden bolts are, is not very long,,nowhere near what you pay in hours

the tensioner is the adjuster!!
there is one roller/idler pulley,,it keeps the belt on track at a midway point.
the tensioner/adjuster automatically applies pressure to the belt to keep it tight
If it `slips out of time` or tensioner or roller pullies fail= really bad things happen as tbelt connects many critical parts of the engine!!!

Some techs will look at the OE part and say- no grease leaking and it spins fine,,save the 50 bucks
BUT
you cant expect it to last another 100k miles
WHEN it fails, it causes belt failure = bent exhaust valves= total engine loss

did he even replace the water pump? its part of the things to be replaced with that service,,same thing of its not leaking NOW,,,BUT can you really expect it to last?,,,NO
Its failure will cook the engine from inside = total engine loss

was this a real shop with invoices, or a guy you know who works on cars
may not repair them,,but `works` on them!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Thanks 01tl4tl, i have talked to him and he will install this too.
- I changed the flasher just now, and in initial testing the indicators seem to work fine. That was pretty easy..