AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   2002 typeS Bad tranny. AV6 or rebuild? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/2002-types-bad-tranny-av6-rebuild-978881/)

Jacob Marin Jr 04-18-2019 10:42 PM

2002 typeS Bad tranny. AV6 or rebuild?

Hey everyone,
Just bought myself a 2002 Acura TL TypeS for $500 with a bad/slipping tranny. Car has 150k on the odometer and everything looks fresh. I know everyone would recommend to find a good AV6 tranny and just bolt it in, but would like to get more info on which is the absolute best option. Also here is a whinnying noise coming from the tranny area. Would that noise be due to slipping tranny? Thx guys, looking forward towards your opinions.

PS currently own 1999 TL base with 240k and a bunch of mods. Will be swapping everything towards the new buy but after i deal with the tranny.

whitetiger5 04-19-2019 12:51 AM

The AV6 IS the absolute best option. The whining is most likely from the failing torque converter. check out this video to compare the sound to what you are experiencing: btw...since you already own a 99 TL, you could do the AV6 swap yourself, at your leisure and be rest assured that the job was done well.

and if you were to ask me, I think a better polling would probably be:

AV6 owners: Please check in with your mileage.

Jacob Marin Jr 04-23-2019 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by whitetiger5 (Post 16413623)
The AV6 IS the absolute best option. The whining is most likely from the failing torque converter. check out this video to compare the sound to what you are experiencing: btw...since you already own a 99 TL, you could do the AV6 swap yourself, at your leisure and be rest assured that the job was done well.

https://youtu.be/AdBzLKahjsU?t=16

and if you were to ask me, I think a better polling would probably be:

AV6 owners: Please check in with your mileage.

awesome man thx for the help. Been shopping around and i found a few but does it make a difference if it’s a Japanese imported version of the accord or does it have to be a USA accord version.

horseshoez 04-23-2019 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jacob Marin Jr (Post 16414990)
awesome man thx for the help. Been shopping around and i found a few but does it make a difference if it’s a Japanese imported version of the accord or does it have to be a USA accord version.

Yes it makes a difference. The BAYA transmission in the V6 Accord was only produced in the U.S. and was never used in the Japanese versions of the Accord.

Jacob Marin Jr 04-24-2019 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by horseshoez (Post 16415021)
Yes it makes a difference. The BAYA transmission in the V6 Accord was only produced in the U.S. and was never used in the Japanese versions of the Accord.

Thx i appreciate the help.

Jacob Marin Jr 04-24-2019 09:13 PM

Fellas need huge help. Been looking for days for a donor car, junk yard car, anything for an 06-07 AV6 tranny and no luck. Just accords from 03-05 and bunch of 4 cylinder trannies. I found a few but crazy price range and also some that say (5th digit, hybrid) whatever that is. Any good recommendations of sites or places (NJ region). The search is ongoing. Thx for any help.

horseshoez 04-25-2019 11:57 AM

try car-part.com

thoiboi 04-25-2019 11:58 AM

Don't even bother with another Tl trans..

Agreed with car-part.com

Silencer_ 04-28-2019 02:28 PM

Do the AV6 swap. Don't even bother with a transmission rebuild.

Jacob Marin Jr 05-04-2019 09:33 AM

Guys a bit of an update, just bought the AV6 tranny but now is the task of swapping everything to make it bolt on ready. Is there any other components that i need to buy like gaskets, parts, sensors, etc... want to get this thing done this upcoming week if the weather holds. I appreciate all the help from everyone, thank you.

whitetiger5 05-04-2019 11:35 AM

I'd have to refer you to the AV6 thread. it contains the wealth of information you are in search of.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...n-swap-905115/

In addition, there is this blog post which show a more abbreviated version of what you see in the thread.

Havener Garage: The Definitive 2nd Gen Acura TL AV6 Transmission Swap Guide

I read through these several times, made sure I had the parts listed in it and I watched the above referenced video (and the second part) to get an idea of the removal process:

Iggy 05-05-2019 01:55 AM

While it's apart, change the engine rear main seal. If your rear engine mount is questionable at all, change that as well. In BOTH cases, go with OEM.

Jacob Marin Jr 05-20-2019 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 16421690)
While it's apart, change the engine rear main seal. If your rear engine mount is questionable at all, change that as well. In BOTH cases, go with OEM.

Iggy, would u happen to know the part number for the rear seal? Would def want to change any major seal, gasket, part while i have more then enough access space while i have the tran out.

whitetiger5 05-21-2019 12:22 AM

Rear main seal can be found on the engine block page of most parts sites.

91214-P8A-A01

if your motor mounts are worn out or never been changed, this is a great opportunity to do that as well!

Jacob Marin Jr 05-21-2019 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by whitetiger5 (Post 16428787)
Rear main seal can be found on the engine block page of most parts sites.

91214-P8A-A01

if your motor mounts are worn out or never been changed, this is a great opportunity to do that as well!

Oh that part. Yes i got it already. Thx guys. I pretty much bought every gasket and seal that was recommended in the forums for the swap.

Now for the engine mounts, i know OEM is always best but those parts aren’t budget friendly. Any other brands or recommendations

whitetiger5 05-22-2019 12:39 PM

I'd probably give the beck/arnley a try. seems like some reviews of the product on amazon state the the hose fitting may be a bit larger but they were still able to get around it (and save $100 when compared to the oem version).