2000 TL radiator/tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 TL radiator/tranny cooler

Coming up on 16 years, i did some research on a replacement radiator for our 2000 TL. I found that both Amazon and Rock Auto sell an OEM Denso radiator for less than $80 inclusive of shipping. I remember buying replacement Chevy radiators in the 1980s for well over $100 (copper vs aluminum?) so that surprised me. I looked at the internet photos and my shop manual and found that Denso 221-3213 have a difference. My shop manual shows cooler lines entering/exiting the base of the radiator with the notation "99 model only". The internet picture shows two obvious plugs for transmission cooler lines. So I went to the garage and had a look under the hood. I don't see any cooler lines connecting to the radiator. So my questions are:
Are the cooler ports on this Denso made for other applications such as Honda cars? Am I missing where the cooler lines enter/exit the radiator on our car?
How does Acura expect to cool the transmission without an external cooler? Considering the reputation of the TL transmission did the designer(s) commit hari-kari?
If indeed there are no cooler lines into the radiator, would you remove the plugs or leave them plugged for installation on a 2000 TL?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:09 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rjheiss
Coming up on 16 years, i did some research on a replacement radiator for our 2000 TL. I found that both Amazon and Rock Auto sell an OEM Denso radiator for less than $80 inclusive of shipping. I remember buying replacement Chevy radiators in the 1980s for well over $100 (copper vs aluminum?) so that surprised me. I looked at the internet photos and my shop manual and found that Denso 221-3213 have a difference. My shop manual shows cooler lines entering/exiting the base of the radiator with the notation "99 model only". The internet picture shows two obvious plugs for transmission cooler lines. So I went to the garage and had a look under the hood. I don't see any cooler lines connecting to the radiator. So my questions are:
Are the cooler ports on this Denso made for other applications such as Honda cars? Am I missing where the cooler lines enter/exit the radiator on our car?
How does Acura expect to cool the transmission without an external cooler? Considering the reputation of the TL transmission did the designer(s) commit hari-kari?
If indeed there are no cooler lines into the radiator, would you remove the plugs or leave them plugged for installation on a 2000 TL?
I'm no expert but I believe that the lines that they are talking about are related to a cruddy transmission fluid warmer system that uses coolant to warm up the transmission for cold starts. I think that's what those two ports are for on the 99 tl. On the 2nd Gen tl they come right off the block. Anyway someone else might know better than me
Old 12-02-2015, 03:09 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
No that rad is not made for other hondas.
I'm guessing that radiator is for both 4/5 speed trans. That would make sense because same or similar radiator support.

No you are not missing where the cooler lines are. There isn't any to the radiator on a 2000 TL.

There is a cool/heater on the 2000 TL trans. It sits kinda on the top of the tranny. Looks like a hockey puck but greyish/silver color.

It does not matter if you plug the cooler lines or not because nothing is going to it.

If you want to you can add that trans cooler to yours by routing the ATF return line through the radiator. A very useful mod.

Last edited by 01acls; 12-02-2015 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've noticed that heater for transmission fluid on top of the tranny. I'm really only getting prepared to yank the radiator when needed, and it looks pretty easy if all I'm disconnecting are upper and lower radiator hoses.