2000 Acura TL with rebuilt tranny. Best Maintenance Practices?

Old 01-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Acura TL with rebuilt tranny. Best Maintenance Practices?

Hi everybody,

I have a 2000 Acura TL which I acquired at ~139k and lo and behold had the infamous transmission failure soon after. I had the tranny rebuilt and now at ~150k it's holding up pretty well.

My question is: what preventative maintenance can I do for the tranny that will extend its life? I've read various DIY threads here so I know that some people change the fluid every 15-30k depending on their preference or maintenance schedule and read some people replace the transmission filter and clean the screen filters on the solenoids.

Also, I've read the pressure switches and solenoids gradually deteriorate in these transmissions (with some people saying these were the actual culprits of the transmission failure as these electronic components were fairly new technology coupled with the 5-speed AT when Honda/Acura started using them in their V6 engines) so would it be a good idea to replace these as well?

I'm asking because I'll have the time and money in about a week to do any of the preventative maintenance that any of you might recommend. If there's any other preventative maintenance that you'd recommend or I've missed while reading the great DIY's on this site, please let me know. Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Change the fluid
2. Replace the filter
3. Clean solenoids if they weren't replaced at rebuild
4. Replace pressure switches for 3rd gear and 4th. Only if it wasn't done at the time of rebuild

But I personally do a fluid change ever 10k because my trans is a post 05 updated model and it has a little over 120k itself and I want it to last a long time. But maintenance doesn't have anything to do with failure on the original design. I hope you have the updated post 05 trans and that what was rebuilt. Otherwise your going to have to have it rebuilt or replaced again in the future. I'm not trying to scare you away from the car but just want you to be informed

But reguarding pressure switches they do deteriorate over time, so they need to be replaced versus just cleaned. But with a fresh rebuild like you have I would say just change the fluid. BUT if the switches weren't replaced I'd make that top priority!!

My personal tranny Maintenance intervals are
Fluid-10k
Filter- 20k
Pressure switches- maybe 40k/ two years

Solenoid cleaning isn't really necessary if you keep your fluid clean.

Make sure the solenoids and pressure switches were replaced, if not replace the switches for sure, and if you have money to spend replace the solenoids if you can but cleaning them would really be the best thing to do.

ONLY USE HONDA DW-1 fluid!!! Any other fluid, especially dexron will destroy your trans
The following users liked this post:
achavez20 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 12:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 02tlnate
1. Change the fluid
2. Replace the filter
3. Clean solenoids if they weren't replaced at rebuild
4. Replace pressure switches for 3rd gear and 4th. Only if it wasn't done at the time of rebuild

But I personally do a fluid change ever 10k because my trans is a post 05 updated model and it has a little over 120k itself and I want it to last a long time. But maintenance doesn't have anything to do with failure on the original design. I hope you have the updated post 05 trans and that what was rebuilt. Otherwise your going to have to have it rebuilt or replaced again in the future. I'm not trying to scare you away from the car but just want you to be informed

But reguarding pressure switches they do deteriorate over time, so they need to be replaced versus just cleaned. But with a fresh rebuild like you have I would say just change the fluid. BUT if the switches weren't replaced I'd make that top priority!!

My personal tranny Maintenance intervals are
Fluid-10k
Filter- 20k
Pressure switches- maybe 40k/ two years

Solenoid cleaning isn't really necessary if you keep your fluid clean.

Make sure the solenoids and pressure switches were replaced, if not replace the switches for sure, and if you have money to spend replace the solenoids if you can but cleaning them would really be the best thing to do.

ONLY USE HONDA DW-1 fluid!!! Any other fluid, especially dexron will destroy your trans

Thank you so much! I now know what I'm doing next weekend!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Read about the 3x3 method of atf change - to make sure its only got the newest honda spec = DW-1 fluid in it.
You never know what shops will put in~
The trans will only give up 3 qts of its 7.3 qt capacity on a drain, then refill that amount and drive less than 5 minutes
while manually shifting thru each gear up and down a few times- include P and N in useage,
then back on the ramps and drain again - repeat- repeat, hence 3 qts x 3 times
Drain it cold the 1st time.

some are able do `the accord method` with engine running. Do a search that

Amazon has a good price on the filter

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 01-31-2016 at 01:44 PM.
achavez20 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:58 PM
Cruisin'

@02tlnate, How would I go about finding out if I have an updated 05 trans?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
^ if you have the updated one it won't have a an external oil cooler. Basically of you can see your large fill bolt on the top of the trans then it should be the updated one. Otherwise you will have an oil cooler mounted there
achavez20 (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ what he said. I think blue painted bolts on the tranny as well would tell you it's the updated one(if memory serves me right). But with the mileage you had I would honestly doubt that you have the updated version especially because it failed at that lower mileage. But regardless assuming they did the rebuild correctly and honestly I wouldn't worry to hard about the trans failing before 200k(at very least), I mean you may never have another issue with the trans for the time you own it!

Call your local dealer or preferably if you know where the previous owners lived call around local dealers with the vin number and if you get the right one they will be able to tell you exactly when it was replaced. My car was local and I called awhile back and they told me mine was replaced Nov. 2006 and that's how I knew I had the updated design

Download carfax's my carfax's app and type in your vin and it will show you at very least the dealer where the car was bought new, I'd start there. And it's possible that the tranny replacement service records might just pop up. The carfax's app and service I'm talking about is free! And I use it to keep all my maintenance records!
achavez20 (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 02tlnate
^ what he said. I think blue painted bolts on the tranny as well would tell you it's the updated one(if memory serves me right). But with the mileage you had I would honestly doubt that you have the updated version especially because it failed at that lower mileage. But regardless assuming they did the rebuild correctly and honestly I wouldn't worry to hard about the trans failing before 200k(at very least), I mean you may never have another issue with the trans for the time you own it!

Call your local dealer or preferably if you know where the previous owners lived call around local dealers with the vin number and if you get the right one they will be able to tell you exactly when it was replaced. My car was local and I called awhile back and they told me mine was replaced Nov. 2006 and that's how I knew I had the updated design

Download carfax's my carfax's app and type in your vin and it will show you at very least the dealer where the car was bought new, I'd start there. And it's possible that the tranny replacement service records might just pop up. The carfax's app and service I'm talking about is free! And I use it to keep all my maintenance records!
Thanks again for all the great info! I've been reading a lot more of these posts and yes I do have that oil jet cooler thing on my car, kinda feels like my car has terminal cancer now haha.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by achavez20
Thanks again for all the great info! I've been reading a lot more of these posts and yes I do have that oil jet cooler thing on my car, kinda feels like my car has terminal cancer now haha.
haha....thats good ol' 3.2touring luxury for you
Old 02-21-2016, 08:12 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
I would get an AV6 put in your car when your trans goes out and you will be good for a long time.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I change the transmission fluid (drain and refill with 3 quarts Acura or Honda DW 1 only) every 3 months when I do the oil and filter. I've changed the external filter twice in 105,000 miles and it's unlikely your local dealer will have one in stock. I would try Delray (forum sponsor) and get it from the UPS guy. If you buy a case of DW 1 the dealer should cut you a price break. Check out Honda dealers as well....same thing.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not, I repeat, I would not run the Honda fluid. I highly recommend Valvoline Max Life ATF. Full synthetic.