1999 TL Problems Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 TL Problems Starting

I have a 99 Tl, with approx 280km and sometimes, not all the time but when I try to start the car, it doesnt work. I can hear it trying to start, but it doesn't fire up. If I try again immediatley, same thing happens. If I pump the accelerator a little before I try to start it a few minutes later it usually starts and doesnt cause another problem for a couple days.
I have changed the alternator, and battery within the past 6 months. the spark plugs are good, and I'm pretty sure its not the starter. Could it be the fuel pump... maybe the ignition coil... ne help would be appreciated..
thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget the ignition switch. This was a recall item for the 1999 TL.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Does it crank normal just doesnt fire? When it happens next time look at the dash and see if the Green Immobilizer key is flashing.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Racer

I've been having an issue kinda like this too, its been happening on and off. sometimes when i turn my key to start my car i hear a tick, then the lights come on and radio but the engine does not even try to start, then i try again and again then it starts, sometimes it starts on the first retry sometimes not. this happens every once in a while, but its starting to happen a little more often???? i called acura and they said they need to catch it in the act to be able to tell what it is
Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Racer

oh and i do have a 99 also
Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
10th Gear

It cranks normally but just doesnt fire... It does have an aftermarket alarm/remote starter (Compustar) and when it was installed the technician told me to never try and start the car if that green key was flashing. I'm pretty sure its not flashing but I went to an Acura dealership in Hamilton, Ontario and they told me there was no such ignition switch recall for my '99 TL. I'm considering just buying the ignition switch and switching it myself, becasue Ive had the car for the past 7 years and I know for sure its never been changed.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Varan
It cranks normally but just doesnt fire... It does have an aftermarket alarm/remote starter (Compustar) and when it was installed the technician told me to never try and start the car if that green key was flashing. I'm pretty sure its not flashing but I went to an Acura dealership in Hamilton, Ontario and they told me there was no such ignition switch recall for my '99 TL. I'm considering just buying the ignition switch and switching it myself, becasue Ive had the car for the past 7 years and I know for sure its never been changed.
Maybe things are different for the TLs sold in Canada but there was definitely an ignition switch recall on the 1999 TLs sold in the US.

My 1999 TL is on its 3rd ignition switch. The first was replaced under the recall and I installed the third when the second one started to fail.

There's a great DIY "how-to" in the DIY thread with excellent photos. It's about a $50 part.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

hey Varan, did replacing the ign switch fix the problem? I'm having the same problem, it will crank but no immobilizer light so no fire.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Intermediate

I finally got a chance to really get into my car with my factory service manual and figured out the problem. The PGM FI main relay was sticking closed, not sending power to the Immoblizer receiving unit, and two feeds into the PCM, that turn on the fuel pump and the immobilzer circuit. Yeah got it fixed finally
Old 05-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Loudog27
I finally got a chance to really get into my car with my factory service manual and figured out the problem. The PGM FI main relay was sticking closed, not sending power to the Immoblizer receiving unit, and two feeds into the PCM, that turn on the fuel pump and the immobilzer circuit. Yeah got it fixed finally
Thanks for the update.

So you fixed it by replacing the relay? If so, how much did that cost?
Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Intermediate

I didnt replace the relay yet, Its a dealership only part and they werent open last night when we figured it out. For now i rigged it up with a switch and a relay so it energizes the ouput side of the factory PGM FI Main relay. But it definitely is the problem, if i stick the key in to the ign position and the immobilizer lught doesnt come on, i flip the switch and bam, the immoblizer circuit comes on and starts fine. Looking online the part should go for about 40 to 50 bucks, depending on where you are and what dealership you go to. And as always you can find the same parts cheaper at a honda dealer as opposed to a Acura Dealer
Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Loudog27
I didnt replace the relay yet, Its a dealership only part and they werent open last night when we figured it out. For now i rigged it up with a switch and a relay so it energizes the ouput side of the factory PGM FI Main relay. But it definitely is the problem, if i stick the key in to the ign position and the immobilizer lught doesnt come on, i flip the switch and bam, the immoblizer circuit comes on and starts fine. Looking online the part should go for about 40 to 50 bucks, depending on where you are and what dealership you go to. And as always you can find the same parts cheaper at a honda dealer as opposed to a Acura Dealer
Thanks for the additional info.

Where is the relay located?

And did the troubleshooting steps in the Helm manual point to the relay? Or did you figure that out yourself using the basic system information in the manual?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

On my 99 it under the drivers side dash near the foot brake switch. It is a black box. The bottom around th eplug is white and on mine the actual plug was maroonish. If you want the wire colors and what they do let me know. The problem was the yellow/ black wire is a 12 volt output that runs to the PCM pin B1 and B9 (passenger floor side second plug from the rear of the car) and to the immobilizer ring that reads the chip in the key. The relay was sticking open and not even turning on th eImmobilizer circuit. If you need any more info feel free to ask.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

Starting issues

I have a 99 acura tl and i am having issues starting the car, it overheated and would start right back up, the last time it happened i had to jump the car it started, then i had it towed into town put antifreeze and a new battery in it, it cranks over slowly but wont start its not the battery or altenator i dont think its the starter cause its cranking over, any ideas?