1999 hard drive navigation files

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
1999 hard drive navigation files

hi guys,

in the process of chowing down on the previous posts regarding this unit. hoping someone is feeling nice and can PM me a link to the latest version of the HDD navi files (if you only want to provide one, Northwest/Mountains please!)

canada/alaska will be much harder to find (the PC Card that came with the unit wasn't factory-- seems someone in canada sold it to an american [the odometer was in KM]).

i also note that the VIN i pulled this from says it is a "canada/navigation" car (the number '5' for 1999 cars) but the following number was a '0' (not an '8' for typical canadian cars), wonder if this had something to do with the person somehow getting navigation & rarity of this option resulting an american vin!
- car had DRL as well. so there is no doubt in my mind it was a canadian car.

wish i had the god damn original hard drive. i bet alpine is all over this ever since i opened my big goddamn mouth a month ago
-the post that shared this nugget of wisdom (that early 1999 canadian TL/CLs had maps that were discontinued shortly after) is also gone.

since the 04-08s use a similar board from what i've read (SH4 hitachi unlike the 00-03 DVD units), i wouldn't be surprised if you could flash the newer OS from the 04-08s onto the 1999 HDD.

next step after i find some newer maps (and modify the locale settings in the DBI file to see if some remnants of canada [it wouldn't be a complete map] show up) is see if i can dump the OS that's loaded in ROM. may not even finish that since i have to figure out how to dump the data from the actual unit.

will post more about my adventure after i get my brake light sensor switch installed & reset my SRS.

cheers eh
Old 02-27-2017, 11:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Spend the 100 dollars on a decent portable GPS, any of them far exceed the abilities of the stock Acura unit, especially from a 99

Do smart phones in Canada get GPS? or is that a data usage issue thats non-existent on GPS units?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:54 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

actually the navigatino works extremely well from what i've seen so far (using the gps coordinates and mapping them via google earth to where i was at that time), but that's another discussion.

re: dbi file. when the unit is locking its GPS signal, it most definitely uses this file for configuration.

i first tried to change 3 entries in the file:
TARGET_COUNTRY=CA (was US)
\XL\CA_FRE.BIN CRI (both were US_***.bin)
\XL\CA_RAM.BIN VER CRI

which resulted in the unit not locking in the signal (grey screen that says it takes up to ten minutes on first boot).
however, when i changed only target country it worked just fine but the elevation was incorrect (i suspect it could have been remnants from the attempt mentioned above, as i did not unplug the battery between attempts and it had received the time but nothing else)
trying now with just the target country changed.

cheers.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:30 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

update: target_country=CA without touching the US_FRE US_RAM files works extremely well.

so the unit is reporting (to the server at least) that the target country is canada, and then uses the US_FRE US_RAM files.

here is the DBI file for the maps that i have:
ALPHA_NUMERIC_ADDRESSING=YES
COMPILER_CDMAP_VER=3.2
COMPILER_CDMAP_PARM=NONE
COMPILER_POI_XOE1_VER=1.0
COMPILER_POI_XOE1_PARM=NONE
COMPILER_POI_PIF4_VER=1.0
COMPILER_POI_PIF4_PARM=NONE
COMPILER_POI_ALPHA_VER=1.0
COMPILER_POI_ALPHA_PARM=NONE
COMPILER_POI_CAT_VER=3.1
COMPILER_POI_CAT_PARM=NONE
COMPILER_POI_INTERCITY_VER=1.0
COMPILER_POI_INTERCITY_PARM=NONE
COMPILER_POI_PHONE_VER=1.0
COMPILER_POI_PHONE_PARM=NONE
COMPILER_POI_PSI_VER=2.0
COMPILER_POI_PSI_PARM=NONE
COMPILER_SIF_VER=5.08.01
COMPILER_SIF_PARM=MANY
COMPILER_STREET_VER=2.4
COMPILER_STREET_PARM=NONE
ACURA_RELEASE=NM003
DB_AREA=Northwest/Mountain
DB_APN_AREA=D2
DCA=2
LAYERS=5
DB_RELEASE_NUMBER=0712
GPS_INITIAL_LATITUDE=3972552
GPS_INITIAL_LONGITUDE=-10506762
NAVTECH_DB_TYPE=SIF
SIF_NUMBER=d2994068.508.02
SIF_REFERENCE=DCA2.Y1990.R4.ALL.S068
TARGET_COUNTRY=US
TARGET_MODEL=XL-IL
TARGET_PLATFORM=HD
THIRD_PARTY_DATA=NONE
PARCEL_ORDER_METHOD=2
RELEASE_YEAR=2000
RELEASE_MONTH=6
RELEASE_DAY=28
FILES_START
FILES_END
TRANSFER_START
CONFIG.DEF
\IL\BOOT.CFG CRI
\XL\BOOT.CFG CRI
ADB0712.DBI
PARSE.E1
ADB0712.CD7
ADB0712.CD6
ADB0712.CD5
ADB0712.CD4
ADB0712.CD3
\IL\ADB0712.CD2 CRI
\XL\ADB0712.CR2 CRI
\IL\ADB0712.DIN CRI
\XL\ADB0712.DIN CRI
\IL\ADB0712.PM0 CRI
\XL\ADB0712.PM0 CRI
ADB0712.RID
ADB0712.ROD
\IL\ADB0712.PSI CRI
ADB0712.GM0
\IL\ADB0712.RP1 CRI
\IL\ADB0712.RP2 CRI
ADB0712.RP3
ADB0712.RP4
ADB0712.SN
ADB0712.SHR
ADB0712.SAS
ADB0712.SAX
ADB0712.SCS
ADB0712.SCX
ADB0712.PPH
ADB0712.CAX
ADB0712.CAS
ADB0712.CAN
ADB0712.PAX
ADB0712.PAS
ADB0712.PAN
ADB0712.PCY
ADB0712.PDT
ADB0712.PLC
ADB0712.PNA
ADB0712.PSB
ADB0712.PTB
\IL\APL.ALP CRI
\IL\ILKA.ALP VER CRI
\XL\SIZE_FRE.TXT CRI
\XL\SIZE_RAM.TXT CRI
\XL\STRT_FRE.TXT CRI
\XL\STRT_RAM.TXT CRI
\XL\US_FRE.BIN CRI
\XL\US_RAM.BIN VER CRI
TRANSFER_END
NOTES_START
NOTES_END

as you can see there are some files not included with any map update (US_FRE.bin US_RAM.bin STRT_FRE.txt STRT_RAM.txt SIZE_FRE.txt SIZE_RAM.txt).
it seems the STRT (i.e. "START") files are the ones that are used for initial startup (after battery unplug), setting the ram and FRE (dunno what that means yet).
the SIZE files presumably contain information about the aforementioned properties.
and the US_FRE US_RAM seem to be the preloaded OS files or something (maybe there is no CA as the coordinates work well, just no map).

i wonder if the naming scheme is slightly different for the canada OS (if it exists. it probably doesn't and uses the US version as that should be fine).
it seems that upon bootup the GPS radio uses the (small, maybe a few megs) BIN files to talk to the server.

interesting that CA_FRE CA_RAM resulted in the process stalling. wonder if the unit was requesting files and the server didn't have them. the 1999s must have used the US configuration with the target_country as canada, with the appropriate maps.

on that note, i'm quite certain that the 42 files or whatever (referenced by JeffinNY and others) for each region are the raw map files. that is, later versions (such as the TSX and gen3 TL) probably pack all these files into a BIN.

i saw the post by bysin and noticed that he'd decrypt a bin file into a bunch of executables and stuff--i don't think that's necessary here. rather, the hard drive unit seems to have all the stuff preloaded into the OS and simply asks for maps using a prefix in the DBI file.

also, here is the CONFIG_DEF file.
MAX_OPEN_FILES ULONG
PATH UCHAR
CONFIG_PATH UCHAR
CONFIG_DEF_FILE UCHAR
DIRECTIONS_TEMPLATE UCHAR
DIRECTIONS_DEFINITIONS UCHAR
PARSE_DEFINITIONS UCHAR
DB_NAME UCHAR
DB_PATH UCHAR
DB_LAYERS UCHAR
PM_LAYERS UCHAR
RP_LAYERS UCHAR
MIN_DETAIL_LEVEL ULONG
SX_TERMCNT UCHAR
SX_PARCEL_THRESHOLD ULONG
SX_NUM_OBJECTS ULONG
SX_NUM_BLOCKS UCHAR
SX_LAYER_MAX ULONG
SX_SUPRESS_LIMITS_LAYER0 UCHAR
SX_SUPRESS_LIMITS_LAYER1 UCHAR
SX_SUPRESS_LIMITS_LAYER2 UCHAR
SX_SUPRESS_LIMITS_LAYER3 UCHAR
SX_OPEN_SIZE ULONG
SX_SOLN_SIZE ULONG
SX_MAXPATHS UCHAR
SX_RAMP_TO_STREET_DELAY ULONG
SX_STREET_TO_RAMP_DELAY ULONG
SX_HEUR_FACTOR UCHAR
SX_HEUR_DENOM ULONG
SX_HEUR_NUMER ULONG
SX_HEUR_THRESHOLD ULONG
SX_UTURN_DELAY ULONG
SX_NO_DRAW ULONG
SX_NO_EXP_DRAW ULONG
SX_USE_REAL_SPEEDS ULONG
DU_LIGHT_CYCLE_TIME ULONG
VERSION_OVERRIDE UCHAR
OUTSIDE_USA UCHAR
STREET_THICK UCHAR
TT_APPROX_FACTOR ULONG
USE_METRIC_UNITS ULONG
MOUSE ULONG
LEFT_DRIVE_FLAG ULONG
NO_NON_EXPLICATABLE_NAME ULONG
SHOW_SHAPE ULONG
TIME_4_CLOSE_MAN ULONG
DIST_4_CLOSE_MAN ULONG
RESOLVE_ABSENT_ADDRESSES ULONG
VID_INPUT ULONG
PRINT_RETRIES ULONG
POI_NO_TYPE_NO_CITY ULONG
SX_GCOST_SCALE UCHAR
SX_IV_SCALE UCHAR
PARCEL_BLOCK_COUNT ULONG
PCL_SIZE UCHAR
PCL_NUMBER UCHAR
PCL_FACTOR ULONG
PCL_TOD_FACTOR ULONG
SX_DISTANCES UCHAR
ALPINE_CONFIG UCHAR
these sure seem like C macros.
is there a compiler and other "dev" tools sitting in the RAM?! this seems possible because these configurations are telling the unit the file prefix and feeding it C macros.

need to look into the XL/IL setup as there is a TARGET_MODEL=XL-IL line, where