03 tls rear ended need spec's on trunk

Old 12-17-2013, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 tls rear ended need spec's on trunk

long time user and my first post.

I was rear ended in my 2003 tls. There is damage to the bumper, bumper pads, and it looks like the right rear side of the car was pushed up ever so slightly, about a 1/4 of an inch. There is a slight dip in the floor pan of the trunk where the bumper attaches to the frame.
I am looking for spec's on the dimension of the trunk and quarter panels. Also pictures of the trunk pan so I can determine what the damage is. I love me tls and want to have it fixed correctly. I have searched The acurazine site and found nothing that helps. Any direction would be appreciated.
Thanks I will try and take a couple of picture tomorrow and post them as well.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Did the driver that rear-ended ya have insurance ?
Are ya going to try to fix it yourself ?

From the way that you described the damage, it can't be real bad....IMO. But, it doesn't take very much damage to add up to a big repair bill if ya want the car back to normal condition.

If ya need specs, your best resource would be either the Factory Service Manual or nearby auto body repair shop. They normally offer free estimates, get a second opinion also.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the folks that hit us did have insurance. We plan on having them fix it. I have taken the car to 2 body shops and they could only give me an estimate on the components they could see and wanted to tare it apart before giving me more. This why I would like the spec's and pics so I can go into negotiations with the insurance co. with all the knowledge I can. I will see if the body shop would be willing to share the spec's with me. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Don't forget the impact could have caused the engine mounts to crack, Alignment problem, and many other related items.
The following users liked this post:
austintl03 (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine!

Another estimate or two won`t hurt you. Explain your situation in detail and if they are reputable will give you an honest answer. Also check there on line reviews, which will tell you a lot about a shop ahead of time.
austintl03 (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by acutee
Don't forget the impact could have caused the engine mounts to crack, Alignment problem, and many other related items.

Very nice!

Check mounts side, front and rear. Usually if there are cracks for the front and rear some oil might have leaked out. The side mount just take a peek for cracks.

In addition to mounts check for any rattle in the front end. Disconnected ball joints etc.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by austintl03
Yes the folks that hit us did have insurance. We plan on having them fix it. I have taken the car to 2 body shops and they could only give me an estimate on the components they could see and wanted to tare it apart before giving me more. This why I would like the spec's and pics so I can go into negotiations with the insurance co. with all the knowledge I can. I will see if the body shop would be willing to share the spec's with me. Thanks for the info.
Those type of specs arent commonly found things, as most require it to be on a frame rack to measure. If its a good body shop and they notice that there is some structural damage like you posted, that will be included in the quote/estimate. That is why its an estimate, because until they get into it and start doing the work they dont know if there is any other hidden issues. You shouldnt have to be doing any negotiations with the ins co. Bring it to the shop you want and let them do the work. Most good shops will work and deal with the ins co's. If the other ins is giving you issues involve yours and let them do the leg work for you.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 12-18-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Yeah, any reputable auto body shop will do all the detail stuff with negotiating any extra hidden damage. They normally have an allowance for leeway on things like this. If ya really want everything to full factory spec, get an estimate from your closest Acura dealership's body repair shop. If anything is compromised......such as the rear quarters or inner trunk panel, they'll figure an estimate using new OEM parts to replace the damaged areas. Don't worry, these guys are pros and know how to pad the bill to their benefit. So, don't sweat this stuff until ya get the car back from the shop that you choose.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Those type of specs arent commonly found things, as most require it to be on a frame rack to measure. If its a good body shop and they notice that there is some structural damage like you posted, that will be included in the quote/estimate. That is why its an estimate, because until they get into it and start doing the work they dont know if there is any other hidden issues. There/You shouldnt have to be doing any negotiations with the ins co. Bring it to the shop you want and let them do the work. Most good shops will work and deal with the ins co's. If the other ins is giving you issues involve yours and let them do the leg work for you.
When I had an accident a couple of months ago, I had the car towed to a bodyshop I trusted. They handled all the negotiations with the other driver's insurance company. The initial estimate by Progressive was $5000, but after tearing into the car the bodyshop found another $700 worth damage. Progressive approved it right away.

Find a bodyshop you trust or is recommended by friends/family/Angie.
austintl03 (12-21-2013)