03 TL Wet Drivers Floor - Hood release cable grommet - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TL/TLX Community > Second Generation TL (1999-2003)
Reload this Page >

03 TL Wet Drivers Floor - Hood release cable grommet

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 05:39 PM

I registered on this forum today just to post this fix, as I did not find one that was the same as mine.

2003 TL-S, floor area was soaked after raining or car wash. I pulled floor sill plastics and removed the main relay by the parking brake area, sprayed water all under the hood and cowl, and checked to see if any drips coming down by the dead pedal. Nothing. I opened the sunroof and poured water down the drivers front drain in the sunroof. I could see water coming from the foot-well. The sunroof drain hose was unhooked from the 90 degree rubber tube-grommet. You have to pull the rubber tube-grommet out and put it on the tube, then reinsert it. Wouldn't work the other way.

I thought it was fixed, then it rained all weekend. Got in the car, it was worse than before. I tried the windshield, i tried the door.... tried the sunroof drain again. I could see the water coming out the sunroof drain outside the body, draining right on the hood release cable, and coming back into the interior dripping on the carpet.

The solution was to pull the drivers mud guard off, pull the fender liner half off and on the hood release cable a few inches from the body was ....a hood release cable rubber grommet. The fix was 2 problems. Put some grease on the rubber because it was a bit of a pain to get in due to contortions and tight space.

Wet

This is the 90 degree rubber grommet tube that the sunroof hose is supposed to be connected to.

Grommet removed, you can see the sunroof drain on the top left.

This is looking up from the driver wheel well behind the fender. The hood release cable goes through that hole and you can see the rubber has come out. Above it is where the sunroof hose grommet is supposed to stick out and drain.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Very nice write-up kevin2m4. Thank you for the contribution.