03 TL-S 6 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 TL-S 6 speed swap

Hey guys! Ok so I did the 6 speed manual swap from the cl-s but I use the automatic engine that came with the car and now the vtech isn’t working. As of right now the only codes I have on the car is for the transaxle Solenoid And transaxle temperature sensor. I assume the vtech is directly linked to this but not 100% sure. Any ideas of how I can get it to work again? Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
You need to explain in detail what you did in regards to the swap if you want any actual help. What ECU are you using, did you convert the auto engine to manual, etc.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:39 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Karanx7
You need to explain in detail what you did in regards to the swap if you want any actual help. What ECU are you using, did you convert the auto engine to manual, etc.
All i did was put the gear box in I didn’t change anything else
Old 10-19-2018, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,391 Posts
Originally Posted by Likklewicked
All i did was put the gear box in I didn’t change anything else

You are using the automatic ECU that came with the TLS?
You are using the engine harness that came with the TLS?
So you are still using the automatic J32A2 that came with the TLS?
You have not changed the clutch/brake pedal assembly or swapped the six speed shifter assembly?
All you did was 'put the...CLS6...gear box in...?'

Last edited by zeta; 10-19-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
This ought to be interesting. hehe
Old 10-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Subscribed.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by horseshoez
subscribed.

lol
Old 10-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
This brought me out of periodic lurking mode.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:02 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zeta

You are using the automatic ECU that came with the TLS?
You are using the engine harness that came with the TLS?
So you are still using the automatic J32A2 that came with the TLS?
You have not changed the clutch/brake pedal assembly or swapped the six speed shifter assembly?
All you did was 'put the...CLS6...gear box in...?'
Yeah the car runs perfectly fine with the automatic shifter assembly and the CL-S gear box 😑 of course I put in the clutch and CL-S shifter assembly but I am still using the automatic j32A2 and harness and ecu
Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah the car runs perfectly fine with the automatic shifter assembly and the CL-S gear box 😑 of course I put in the clutch and CL-S shifter assembly
Interesting.

So did you swap over, to your automatic J32A2, the timing belt drive pulley and reluctor wheel, timing belt stopper plate, crankshaft sensor A and wiring assembly; front head cam pulley and cam sensors/wire assembly from the manual transmission J32A2 to make it 6-speed compatible, as Karanx7 inquired above?

but I am still using the automatic j32A2 and harness and ecu
Did you use an old RV6 harness to mate the automatic ECU by any chance? Usually, when a 6-speed swap is performed on an automatic TLS, the manual transmission ECU and related engine harness', and such, are utilized to make it 'plug and play' as much as possible.

Are there any p0335, p0336 crankshaft sensor codes? The only reason I ask is that there is another crankshaft sensor B located on the 6-speed transmission.

These are the important DETAILS, asked for in a prior post above, that are needed to HELP you figure out why your VTEC; transmission; and any other codes appear as a result of your swap.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:18 AM
10th Gear

Interesting.

So did you swap over, to your automatic J32A2, the timing belt drive pulley and reluctor wheel, timing belt stopper plate, crankshaft sensor A and wiring assembly; front head cam pulley and cam sensors/wire assembly from the manual transmission J32A2 to make it 6-speed compatible, as Karanx7 inquired above?
No I didn’t

Did you use an old RV6 harness to mate the automatic ECU by any chance? Usually, when a 6-speed swap is performed on an automatic TLS, the manual transmission ECU and related engine harness', and such, are utilized to make it 'plug and play' as much as possible.

Are there any p0335, p0336 crankshaft sensor codes? The only reason I ask is that there is another crankshaft sensor B located on the 6-speed transmission.

These are the important DETAILS, asked for in a prior post above, that are needed to HELP you figure out why your VTEC; transmission; and any other codes appear as a result of your swap.

no I didn’t
Old 10-20-2018, 04:21 AM
10th Gear

Interesting.

the only code code that came up was for the transaxle solenoid and transaxle temperature sensor
Old 10-20-2018, 04:25 AM
10th Gear

Interesting.

I believe a friend of mine tried that and wasn’t able to get his started. I’m not sure if he changed everything that you said
Old 10-20-2018, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

the only code code that came up was for the transaxle solenoid and transaxle temperature sensor
If I had to guess, the reason why your automatic 03 TLS ECU throws the above codes is because it is searching for 'acknowledgement' from those components during its operation. Since you now have a manual transmission installed in your car, the computer cannot find the 'joy' it was used to with the automatic; thus, the codes. Make sense?

This is what I know:
Unless you have found a way to 'trick' the automatic TLS ECU (by re-pinning, or using the old RichieV6 harness; or the use of a standalone) it is not compatible with your new CLS6 manual transmission. That is why when this 'swap' is performed a 'donor' CLS6 car is best to use so that you can harvest all of the needed parts from it to make your 03 TLS six speed compatible. That includes the manual ECU; related engine/cabin harness'; and engine timing components mentioned above et. al.

For example, If I wanted to use your automatic '03 TLS J32A2 in my '03 CLS6 because I fried a piston, I would need to convert it, with the engine timing components mentioned above, to make it compatible with my manual transmission factory configuration.

Last edited by zeta; 10-20-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
One option you have is to use the AEM EMS V2. It is made for an automatic harness and engine being used with a manual transmission, so you could swap that in and get 100% functionality. You won't pass OBD2 emissions check though.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm finding it hard to believe that there are only two codes present with this configuration(multiple transmission harness connectors unplugged). How does the speedometer work without the countershaft speed sensor? There should be multiple codes related to the transmission shift circuits and torque converter. The ABS system should be throwing codes shouldn't it?.

The reason the VTEC isn't working is that the ECU can't determine vehicle speed because it's looking for inputs from an automatic transmission. Car needs to be moving for VTEC to work.

A quick google search I found this:
The ECU is constantly comparing the torque curves of the low and high speed camshafts. It calculates the expected volumetric efficiency of the engine based on the current environmental conditions (air temperature and pressure) and the engine conditions (temperature, engine load, throttle position), and then derives the expected torque from the volumetric efficiency for each camshaft. Most of this has to be done anyhow in order to determine how much fuel to inject. When conditions are right (the revs are over about 4500 rpm, the engine is warm, there is enough oil pressure to activate the pistons and the car is moving) the ECU will switch from the low to high speed camshaft when the expected torque of the low speed camshaft equals the torque of the high speed camshaft. The ECU closes a solenoid valve that then forces engine oil, under pressure, along the camshafts to active the third rocker arm.

I'm thinking you have a LOT more work to do to make this work.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

^
To say the least, that's why I mentioned the p0335, p0336 codes. Good money says that that crankshaft sensor on the transmission is just sitting there looking pretty with no inputs to an automatic ECU because it's not hooked up by an engine wire harness that has its respectable connector.

Is it to early to state that the OP did not do his 'homework', lol.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Karanx7
One option you have is to use the AEM EMS V2. It is made for an automatic harness and engine being used with a manual transmission, so you could swap that in and get 100% functionality. You won't pass OBD2 emissions check though.
Yup. Not cheap either.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:26 AM
10th Gear

^
To say the least, that's why I mentioned the p0335, p0336 codes. Good money says that that crankshaft sensor on the transmission is just sitting there looking pretty with no inputs to an automatic ECU because it's not hooked up by an engine wire harness that has its respectable connector.

Is it to early to state that the OP did not do his 'homework', lol.
appreciate the inputs I’ll give you guys an update
Old 10-21-2018, 08:32 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Iggy
I'm finding it hard to believe that there are only two codes present with this configuration(multiple transmission harness connectors unplugged). How does the speedometer work without the countershaft speed sensor? There should be multiple codes related to the transmission shift circuits and torque converter. The ABS system should be throwing codes shouldn't it?.

The reason the VTEC isn't working is that the ECU can't determine vehicle speed because it's looking for inputs from an automatic transmission. Car needs to be moving for VTEC to work.

A quick google search I found this:
The ECU is constantly comparing the torque curves of the low and high speed camshafts. It calculates the expected volumetric efficiency of the engine based on the current environmental conditions (air temperature and pressure) and the engine conditions (temperature, engine load, throttle position), and then derives the expected torque from the volumetric efficiency for each camshaft. Most of this has to be done anyhow in order to determine how much fuel to inject. When conditions are right (the revs are over about 4500 rpm, the engine is warm, there is enough oil pressure to activate the pistons and the car is moving) the ECU will switch from the low to high speed camshaft when the expected torque of the low speed camshaft equals the torque of the high speed camshaft. The ECU closes a solenoid valve that then forces engine oil, under pressure, along the camshafts to active the third rocker arm.

I'm thinking you have a LOT more work to do to make this work.
I think the abs code is the only other code.. none came up for the speedometer which isn’t work btw. I’m gonna put some more time and effort into figuring it out and post an update. If anyone as any other suggestions plz feel free to let me know thanks again much appreciated
Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

I’m gonna put some more time and effort into figuring it out and post an update. If anyone as any other suggestions plz feel free to let me know thanks again much appreciated
Just curious.

What is your plan?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:45 AM
10th Gear

Just curious.

What is your plan?
simple get the car running properly to it’s full potential and keep it for as long as I can. I was thinking to turbo/supercharge it at some point but not sure yet
Old 10-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Here's a good place to start with a parts list at post #21......https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...2/#post8782025

Do some searches on this forum and there are a lot of threads explaining the ins and outs of this swap.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

simple get the car running properly to it’s full potential and keep it for as long as I can. I was thinking to turbo/supercharge it at some point but not sure yet
Sorry, I meant in the approach to solving your current issues with making your swap a success?
For example:
1) Purchase a CLS6 ECU if you are not going the AEM EMS V2 route.
2) Purchase all needed timing components for the automatic J32A2
3) Purchase the appropriate engine harness' to hook it all up.
4) So on and so forth.

OR

Yank out the CLS6 transmission, sell it and either do one of the following:
1) Install an automatic 06-07 accord V6 transmission
2) Purchase a CLS 6-speed
3) Purchase a 3rd gen TL 6-speed.

Food for thought.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Iggy
Here's a good place to start with a parts list at post #21......https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...2/#post8782025

Do some searches on this forum and there are a lot of threads explaining the ins and outs of this swap.
thanks
Old 10-22-2018, 06:00 AM
10th Gear

Sorry, I meant in the approach to solving your current issues with making your swap a success?
For example:
1) Purchase a CLS6 ECU if you are not going the AEM EMS V2 route.
2) Purchase all needed timing components for the automatic J32A2
3) Purchase the appropriate engine harness' to hook it all up.
4) So on and so forth.

OR

Yank out the CLS6 transmission, sell it and either do one of the following:
1) Install an automatic 06-07 accord V6 transmission
2) Purchase a CLS 6-speed
3) Purchase a 3rd gen TL 6-speed.

Food for thought.
Most likely get all the needed parts. If I go 3rd gen I’m just gonna get the 07-08 type-s 😁
Old 10-22-2018, 06:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Most likely get all the needed parts. If I go 3rd gen I’m just gonna get the 07-08 type-s ��
I see.

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking. If you do, forget about it.

Where or how did you get the 'notion' that, in performing this quite extensive swap, all you had to do was just 'drop-in' a manual CLS6 transmission, clutch/pedal assembly and shifter, and it would all work? Just interested how you got to this point in your thought processes.

Nevertheless, I hope it all works out to your liking.

Last edited by zeta; 10-22-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Most likely get all the needed parts. If I go 3rd gen I’m just gonna get the 07-08 type-s 😁
Good luck finding a clean 2007-2008 TL Type-S with a 6MT; they are rare-rare-rare, and as such, expensive. If you do ultimately set your sights on that car, plan on upwards of 6-months to find the right car and budget roughly $15,000. Yes, I know clean examples can sometimes be had for less, but that is the rare find.