03 TL-S 124,000 miles...going in for oil jet recall tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Also the dealer is required to use the Canon camera supplied by Acura to perform this recall
Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrKev
From the pictures your second gear is fine. I work at an Acura dealer and just did one of these recalls, if the gear is really dark and you're able to get rid of some darkness with a flathead, then that gear has heat marks, and the dealer will replace your transmission. If no heat mark is found, then they'll just add an oil jet
Those photos were taken with a Canon PowerShot A495. I had originally asked for photos from the boroscope camera of the actual 2nd gear shaft.

The photos I posted above I am told from members here is looking directly down the ATF fill hole and not of where the actual potential problem exists.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
based on what the real acura tech just told us, I think they are using the boroscope to look inside at the shaft
and
the test on the gear itself for heat damage is to look for dark color-
use a flathead screwdriver and attempt to scrape the surface, that will determine if its heat discolored

or maybe they bagged the boroscope years ago and rely on the gear color only

Is that it Mr K,??,our new trans guru!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by nevTL
Those photos were taken with a Canon PowerShot A495. I had originally asked for photos from the boroscope camera of the actual 2nd gear shaft.

The photos I posted above I am told from members here is looking directly down the ATF fill hole and not of where the actual potential problem exists.
No one said thats not where the problem exists. That IS where the problem is, the 2nd gear and shaft, hence where the Oil Jet goes! The dealer is NOT trying to screw you. I know you want a new trans but you dont have any heat damage. There arent many that do.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
No one said thats not where the problem exists. That IS where the problem is, the 2nd gear and shaft, hence where the Oil Jet goes! The dealer is NOT trying to screw you. I know you want a new trans but you dont have any heat damage. There arent many that do.
I never said they were trying to screw me, I just want confirmation from you and the other educated professionals here about what exactly I was looking at in the photos they provided.

For example, this user posted...

Originally Posted by Diva 4 Life
That looks like a gear to me and not a shaft, and I agree just DC pics.
If they use a boroscope camera for inspection, why would they need to do that if all they have to do is pop off the ATF filler bolt and snap a digital camera pic for proper documentation of heat discoloration?

Just trying to figure everything out. I know NOTHING about the internal workings/design of our 2nd gen transmissions!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I never said they were trying to screw me, I just want confirmation from you and the other educated professionals here about what exactly I was looking at in the photos they provided.

For example, this user posted...

If they use a boroscope camera for inspection, why would they need to do that if all they have to do is pop off the ATF filler bolt and snap a digital camera pic for proper documentation of heat discoloration?

Just trying to figure everything out. I know NOTHING about the internal workings/design of our 2nd gen transmissions!
Because they inspect the shaft as well for discoloration.

Just making sure, because it seems as though you are worried as you have stated.
I need all the expert opinions here on what these photos illustrate so I have a case to bring up with the service writer/manager.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Umm wrong....pictures aren't of directly down the ATF fill hole and the pictures are actually where the problem could be, hence the recall.

Although you asked for boroscope camera doesn't mean the dealer has one. The dealer uses what was sent to them by Acura to perform the recall and that is the Canon camera. You saying they lie to you or whatever for a recall where you don't have to pay anything is dumb. I'm sure everyone wants a free transmission but it's a rare case that vehicles under this recall actually need a transmission replacement.

This is the explanation of the bulletin....maybe this will help you understand...

"Certain operating conditions can result in heat buildup
between the countershaft and secondary shaft 2nd
gears in the A/T. Without enough oil flow to dissipate
heat, prolonged operation under these conditions can
eventually result in decreased material strength. In
higher mileage vehicles, this can result in gear tooth
chipping or, in very rare cases, gear breakage.
In most cases, A/T noise will indicate a problem,
however it is possible for the A/T to become locked
without warning. A locked A/T could result in a crash."
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrKev
Umm wrong....pictures aren't of directly down the ATF fill hole and the pictures are actually where the problem could be, hence the recall.

Although you asked for boroscope camera doesn't mean the dealer has one. The dealer uses what was sent to them by Acura to perform the recall and that is the Canon camera. You saying they lie to you or whatever for a recall where you don't have to pay anything is dumb. I'm sure everyone wants a free transmission but it's a rare case that vehicles under this recall actually need a transmission replacement.

This is the explanation of the bulletin....maybe this will help you understand...

"Certain operating conditions can result in heat buildup
between the countershaft and secondary shaft 2nd
gears in the A/T. Without enough oil flow to dissipate
heat, prolonged operation under these conditions can
eventually result in decreased material strength. In
higher mileage vehicles, this can result in gear tooth
chipping or, in very rare cases, gear breakage.
In most cases, A/T noise will indicate a problem,
however it is possible for the A/T to become locked
without warning. A locked A/T could result in a crash."
It's much less a lack of understanding, and more trying to figure out all the differing information I have gotten from certain members here.

Two other senior members here mentioned that is looking directly down the ATF filler hole because that is where the 2nd gear/shaft is, hence why the oil jet kit would go there.

You're saying that is not the ATF filler hole in the photos I posted.

Confusion!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Im going with the real acura tech--I didnt go look at my car but those bolt holes make me suspect its not really the filler plug
rather- there is an access port --for the inspection of the gear itself and pic-- to document that all is well, or not.
I would guess they do rotate the trans so 2nd gear goes all the way around for a complete inspection, no broken teeth or other things as described in the actual recall.

As I mentioned before- it would be the dealer bustedazzzzz if it broke the shaft after they signed off on it....causing a serious pileup on the freeway with you at the start of it
hence: you could be the new owner of that dealership!!

I have seen metal thats turned blue, there is no mistaking it!

Go forth now young man, and enjoy the remaining life of the clutches
change the fluid and drive!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Im going with the real acura tech--I didnt go look at my car but those bolt holes make me suspect its not really the filler plug
rather- there is an access port --for the inspection of the gear itself and pic-- to document that all is well, or not.
I would guess they do rotate the trans so 2nd gear goes all the way around for a complete inspection, no broken teeth or other things as described in the actual recall.

As I mentioned before- it would be the dealer bustedazzzzz if it broke the shaft after they signed off on it....causing a serious pileup on the freeway with you at the start of it
hence: you could be the new owner of that dealership!!

I have seen metal thats turned blue, there is no mistaking it!

Go forth now young man, and enjoy the remaining life of the clutches
change the fluid and drive!
Will do Tom, thanks for your help as always, and everyone else in this thread!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
MrKev is on it.
And as far as I know at Honda there was never a "borescope" we used the camera someone mentioned to take pics of the gear.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first transmission went out 1 week after Acura installed the oil jet kit, never had any trans problems before that. At 174K miles I just had my 2nd transmission rebuilt. I am hopeful the the new Honda trans fluid will make #3 last longer.