AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   03 TL 3rd and 4th pressure sensor switches (given new Honda part #) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/03-tl-3rd-4th-pressure-sensor-switches-given-new-honda-part-980498/)

RJTL03 06-24-2019 12:23 PM

03 TL 3rd and 4th pressure sensor switches (given new Honda part #)

I have a 2003 Acura TL.
I am replacing my third and fourth pressure sensor switches.
The part numbers on this forum are 28600-p7w-013 and 28600-P7Z-013. When I place the order at Honda parts now they substituted them with 28600-RKE-004 and 28610-RKE-004. These parts are for an 04 and up TL. They are telling me that these are direct inter-changes.
I searched and it seems no one has gotten these replacements but the most recent switch replacement I could see was a couple years ago.
I have no problem sending them back insisting on the right part numbers but when I don’t want to do is send them back and then just get them swapped out again by another vendor and waste time. I asked for an exchange of the Honda part numbers specified and they said it’s the same part will give you a refund if you’d like.

any info would be great- thank you

whitetiger5 06-24-2019 02:15 PM

oem acura parts too shows the same info that you have described. I've seen this happen with other parts; for example the rear sway bar end links are no longer the original part number, they updated the part and made a kit to replace them as a set. similar story with some seals in the engine area.

I'd just for with the RKE parts, they are the same that you'll find in the AV6 transmission which is what everyone who replaces their transmission gravitates to as it is a rock solid solution.

I am certain there are others who a) (like me ) have swapped to an AV6 transmission with those sensors already installed and it worked fine (b) swapped to an AV6 while retaining the older part sensor (P7Z) and it worked fine and c) installed the new sensor (RKE) in their old glass transmission and they worked fine as well.

I wouldn't think too much about it :thumbsup:

RJTL03 06-24-2019 05:20 PM

I feel similar but I’m going to do more research make sure the pressure values are the same (etc). I think in any other application I wouldn’t think twice but given how temperamental the transmissions tend to be I don’t want to give it a reason.

MBP 03 06-24-2019 07:42 PM

The RKE switches are what came installed in the AV6 transmissions, among others. While I have no first hand experience with RKE pressure switches installed in an '03 TL transmission, I can tell you that I put some miles on the AV6 transmission that I swapped into my '03 TL-S and then decided to install the pressure switches from the original transmission since they had very little mileage on them (I replaced them not too long before the transmission died) and the AV6 transmission performed exactly the same. I'm guessing that since the various Acura parts websites are starting to list the RKE part numbers for an '03 TL application, Honda has decided to streamline this particular item and they are not making the P7Z parts anymore.

RJTL03 06-25-2019 07:11 AM

I went ahead and installed them per everyone’s recommendation. The car shifted fine before and shifted fine after. Just trying to do the maintenance.
One thing that made me feel a better was what I pulled off. It appears the car had the “finest” in Chinese eBay pressure switches on the vehicle. Funny I bought the the car from the second owner, who has a detailed service history dating back to 41k (now at 109k). Just goes to show that you can have a service history and good story and still have sketch on the vehicle.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a5254bb17.jpeg
Pretty sure BK207 is not a OEM Honda part number.

whitetiger5 06-26-2019 12:51 PM

Another way to look at it: if the car had over 60K on those switches and was still working fine before and after then perhaps a switch is switch?

I mean, if the difference meant my Acura driving like a BMW then yes perhaps, but that's very unlikely the case.

RJTL03 06-26-2019 10:54 PM

this was the article that led to switch replacement for me

AT3rdClutch

Its a cool read and explains that switches can be grossly out fo spec and not throw a code. I know transmission rebuilders will replace them when doing a rebuild.
I wondering if mine had a local guy rebuild it and thus the china sensors.