XM Information Update Delays - Anyone experiencing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM Information Update Delays - Anyone experiencing?

This has been discussed in the quirks thread but I am not sure everyone has seen this, so I thought I would create a separate thread to see if anyone is noticing this.

I have noticed since the Acura update that it will take a long time to update information on the NAV screen. The information are items such as song, artist and with sports, items such as scores, outs, innnings, etc. It can take almost a minute for the info to update (sometimes the score has changed twice before the info is updated).

However, if I hear a score change, as in a BB game, and if I change to the next channel and back again, the info/score is updated. This leads me to beleive this may be a car issue and not an XM issue.

Anyone else experiencing this? I realize this is not a major issue but it is annoying. My home XM unit updates almost immediately.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Cruisin'

I have the same problem. I bought my RL about a month ago. I don't know if the "updates" where already installed when I bought the car. I have a friend that just bought a loaded accord and her XM updates fast.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the same problem since I got the update. When a song changes on the radio it can take up to a minute for the new song information to appear.

Another problem I am experiencing since the update is the random locking of my doors. While driving, the doors will randomly lock. I asked Acura about this and they had not heard of this problem. Has anyone else had these problems?
Old 03-11-2005, 07:57 PM
10th Gear

Yes, these are known problems on this forum following completion of the "Acura Update" recall - the XM radio info delay, the random door locking, and intermittent failure of the mirror (right side in my RL) to re-position after backing up.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Instructor

While they are known on the forum we must make sure Acura customer service knows. Please call the customer service 800 number and report the
problems.

When I called on the XM and door lock issue the CSR had only 'thought' he had heard something about the locks. The dealers may handle the repairs, but Acura/Honda needs to know there is a problem. It doesn't take long to open a case with Acura.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Former Pedestrian

I've noticed this delay problem too ... And, for the first time, I've occasionally noticed a "NO INFO" message on my XM screen during initial startup.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Instructor

Please call Acura Customer Service and report the issue. (800) 382-2238 , #3; Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Advanced

for the "no info" to show up, that happens once in a while, happened in my '04 TL. I haven't had the "update" yet, and i have the same problem with the long delays. Sometimes it works fine, i haven't been able to figure out why it does what it does.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just noticed this today too! Comedy channel is telling new guys jokes for 20-30 seconds before his name comes on the screen. Any solution yet, what did Acura say??
Old 03-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Instructor

They said my call was the first they had heard about the issue. That's why I am asking people to call and report the issue (as well as any others).

BTW, if you quickly change the channel to the very next channel and then go back to the one you were listening to (and I mean fast so that the sound doesn't cut out or change) the information will be updated. So the information is there, the radios are not updating it timely.

So, please call. :-)
Old 03-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

I called today and the CS Rep was a total tool. He tried to go into this long drawn out technical explanation of why it was happening and why it's normal for XM to be slow. Ultimately after I fired back that I have 3 other XM radios and none of them have the delay, he said, "Well, I really don't know how this stuff works... I'll just log the issue and if a fix becomes available, someone will call you."
Any hoo, at least they have record of two people calling about the problem.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Instructor

It must be the radio cause if you quickly manually change to the next channel and then immediately back again, the updated information is there. It's just a pain in the butt to have to do this.

Also, everytime I have called CS with an RL issue, I have always been escalated to another support person or had a case opened and received a call from an upper level CSR soon afterwards. They keep giving me the same CSR so we are on a first name basis now.

Anyway, can't hurt to keep those call going in. At least there is a record of the problems.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Frustrating!!!!

Since the update my XM performance has gotten very shaky and its frustrating to say the least. Slow info updates, periodic non-reception for up to 20 minutes when first starting, sporadic outages...What gives XM??? I did not experience these problems prior to the update! As far as XM goes, I guess instead of an update I got a "downdate"
Old 03-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Shotgun, are you still having these problems? I have a MyFi XM portable radio and took it out to the car and put both stations on a ball game and waited to see how fast they changed in relation to one another. The MyFi change much sooner then the main Nav screen display and the upper display takes another 10-20 seconds to change after that.

With the almost instantaneous upating on the MyFi (they must pay someone to listen to a game and update the outs and innings - what a job!!) I am now convinced there is something going on with the RL XM receiver. I am gonig to see if the dealership will change it out for an new one.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:54 AM
8th Gear

XM delay after NAvTraffic fix

just want to pile on. after getting my fix for NavTraffic from the dealer, i noticed that the XM audio displays got real slow. the LCD display updates first 10-15 seconds into a song change, followed by the upper display 5-10 seconds later. obviously, whatever they changed in the software to make sure NavTraffic sync-up would be more reliable hosed the sync-up of the music/sports score information...
Old 04-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Instructor

The XM Radio display in my RL updates instantly. However, I have not had the update performed on my vehicle (deliberately). I'm waiting for the update to be "updated" as well.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 427
I've noticed this delay problem too ... And, for the first time, I've occasionally noticed a "NO INFO" message on my XM screen during initial startup.
Ditto here! I too have notice the "no info" message at startup and it also appears randomly at times after startup.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Racer

I had the XM module replaced as part of the update, and I don't see much delay in getting the song information.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Hmmm, maybe some of the new modules were defective. I did a "reboot" on my car to try to correct the door locking issue (pulled off the negative battery wire for a couple of minutes). It did fix the relocking problem and it actually cured the XM delay for about a day. After I did it, my songs were changing instanteously and the score info changed as fast as my MyFi. However, the next day, seems we were back to square one and the delay was back. Not sure what all that means. I am going to try to get my dealership to change my XM module (whatever that is) at my first regular service.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Cool

I guess this doesn't pertain to an 04 RL as mine works flawless.......
Old 04-06-2005, 06:45 PM
8th Gear

XM display delay fixed!

i just received the new Nav DVD from Acura and after installing it in the box in the trunk, the slow display updates i've been experiencing on the XM displays went away. not sure if the new software that comes with the DVD fixed it, or if the act of restarting the system (unload and reload disc) fixed it...but the display now updates as quickly as it did before i had the XM box replaced for the NavTraffic problem.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I installed the new v4.13B Navi software I received yesterday and it hasn't made any difference in the time it takes for XM to refresh the info on the screen. Not sure how it can be related since the updated Navi software clearly states it is supposed to be a "fix" for some software bugs that existed in earlier Navi versions.

How does the Navi software relate to the XM sat downloads?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Has not helped my delay problem either, although the slight delay I had while in the Navigation mode seems to be corrected (i.e, I would reach my destination or turn before the Nav system told me I as there).
Old 04-07-2005, 11:25 AM
10th Gear

No help here

I installed the NAV updated software and it did nothing to cure the XM delays. Since those delays are sometimes intermittent, I expect the person who thought it was cured would see over time that the XM display problems are still there.

When I went by the dealer to have this looked at they told me Acura is aware of this problem, but as of yet, has no idea what is going on. They know it is realted to the Radio update from earlier this year.

Originally they thought a full car reset would do the trick, but said while it did fix the delays they would creep back over time.

For those who think the delays are an illusion, or casued by XM, I would suggest you borrow a portable XM player for the car and compare. I tried it with a My-Fi, and the text updated immediately, while in the RL the updates were anywhere from 10-40 seconds behind.

Hope they snare this problem and fix it.

One thing I have not seen anybody write about is the fact that the CD/DVD player continues to play while the driver is on a cellphone call using bluetooth. Every other car I have had with similar capability pauses the CD during a recall, and automatically restarts upon a disconnect.

I'm surprised Acura does not do this, and wonder if it is a big or an oversight.

Mel
Old 04-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by melm
One thing I have not seen anybody write about is the fact that the CD/DVD player continues to play while the driver is on a cellphone call using bluetooth. Every other car I have had with similar capability pauses the CD during a recall, and automatically restarts upon a disconnect.

I'm surprised Acura does not do this, and wonder if it is a big or an oversight.

Mel
My '04 TL with the same Johnson Controls sourced HandsFreeLink system would pause the CD when the phone was active. I think its an oversight.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Update from Dealer

Dealer calls yesterday and tells me they have been researching the XM delay issue and that Acura has determined that something in the 4 part update has caused one or more problems with XM. He said it is happening to RLs all over the country. He said fix is being investigated but none available yet. He said Acura fully aware of the problem.

Told him my other 2 problems must be related, the pre-sets labels not maintaining the station names and no stereo separation with the music (sounds like all music is mono coming out of the speakers.

So at least according to him Acura is acknowledging a problem. Maybe there will be a fix soon. Just thought I would update this.