Can I add another set of FOB's and Key's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I add another set of FOB's and Key's?

I see that the FOB's are sold online. Can you add more than the 2 that come with the car so you have spares? I am told that the FOB's have to be programmed by the dealer or a locksmith.

Anyone know if that is true and about how much it costs?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm also interested, I had 3 remotes for my TSX.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Intermediate

Yes, but

You can add up to 4 additional remotes, however, none of them will be associated with driver 1 or 2. They will just use the default settings for everything, so I am not sure how useful they will be.

I just happened to get that message in my downloaded messages (a year late) today. Why my messages just started appearing a year late I have no idea.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, you can add up to six fobs.

The comment about the extra fobs using default settings is not true. I purchased an additional Driver 1 and Driver 2. They are recognized as such.

Yes, the fobs need to be programmed by Acura (not a locksmith). It is not like programming a keyless entry remote. It takes about 10-15 minutes to do. They will charge you if you buy the keys somewhere else such as Ebay
Old 09-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Yes, you can add up to six fobs.

The comment about the extra fobs using default settings is not true. I purchased an additional Driver 1 and Driver 2. They are recognized as such.

Yes, the fobs need to be programmed by Acura (not a locksmith). It is not like programming a keyless entry remote. It takes about 10-15 minutes to do. They will charge you if you buy the keys somewhere else such as Ebay
Curious - What was the cost of the fobs?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Dealer cost? Mine charges $408. I hope ebay is a lot cheaper for you.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Don Melcher
Curious - What was the cost of the fobs?
I got my pair for $160 on Ebay. They were new and still in the bag. I know several of the mechanics at the Acura dealer fairly well so I gave them $20 and they programmed them for me after hours. Like I said, it takes about 15 minutes with special equipment only they would have. You can't do it yourself.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Advanced

On that note, is it possible to "disconnect" the fobs so that each one doesn't use "driver 1" and "driver 2" settings?

The problem that I often have is for example if "Driver 2" uses the car, and then "Driver 1" wants to use it, it doesn't always recognize the "new" driver, even though the Driver 2 fob is nowhere near the vehicle.

I want to be able to program IDENTICAL settings for both drivers and not have to switch between them at all. I was told this might be possible if I "de-link" the fobs, which may then use the default settings, but I am not sure about that.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by nmariani
On that note, is it possible to "disconnect" the fobs so that each one doesn't use "driver 1" and "driver 2" settings?

The problem that I often have is for example if "Driver 2" uses the car, and then "Driver 1" wants to use it, it doesn't always recognize the "new" driver, even though the Driver 2 fob is nowhere near the vehicle.

I want to be able to program IDENTICAL settings for both drivers and not have to switch between them at all. I was told this might be possible if I "de-link" the fobs, which may then use the default settings, but I am not sure about that.
I've never tried it but I'm told you can delink the fobs and they work with default settings. I can't confirm that.

Regarding your problem; the car doesn't recognize the other fob unless it was used to unlock the door with the fob button or by grabing the door handle from the outside. Annoying, I know. But that's how it works. I've just gotten in the habit of always locking my door at night eventhough it's in the garage. This way, if my wife takes the car the next day, here fob is used to set the seat, mirror, etc. settings.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nmariani

You do know that you have to lock the car and then unlock it using the new driver fob before it will recognize the new driver?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
Dealer cost? Mine charges $408. I hope ebay is a lot cheaper for you.
Each or per pair? Including programming?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Each or per pair? Including programming?
That would be $408 for one fob. I think they would throw in the programming for "free"

That's a big rip off in my book.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Instructor

That would be $408 for one fob. I think they would throw in the programming for "free"

Duh!
Old 09-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Go Big Blue!

That's why you probably don't want to buy it from the dealer. The price is so ridiculous that they've created an underground market for these things. I found mine on Ebay with little problem for a fraction of the cost ($80 versus $400).

By the way, my dealer was quoting around the same price as Chas2. If you have a good relationship with your dealer and/or you're bringing it in for other things at the same time (i.e. an A1 service), they probably won't charge you much to program it. Like I said earlier, I just brought it around the back at closing time and gave the fobs to one of the mechanics along with $20. He had them both programmed in 10-15 minutes.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:12 PM
2005 RL

I bought an additional remote off of ebay for $50 and had it programmed at the dealer for another $100 + $40 to cut a new key. A different dealer quoted $150 just for the programming, so shop around. I also read/heard that some locksmiths have the capability to do this as well, so that might be worth checking on.

Considering the cost at the dealer just for the remote was $350, I'm still at least $150 ahead.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, it is amazing that they can charge so much for 15 minutes of work. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 AM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

You do know that you have to lock the car and then unlock it using the new driver fob before it will recognize the new driver?
I'm not sure that is 100% correct. I believe all you have to do is 'unlock' the doors using the fob.

I had this exact problem this morning. My Daughter used my car last night, using Fob #2. I got into the car with my knees pressed against my chest. Usually when I get in the car, I reach around the steering wheel and start it while getting in, all in one fluid motion so I didn't notice it until the car was started. True, I could have just hit the #1 button for the seat memories, but that wouldn't have changed any of the other presets. So it's a simple fix: turn the car off, hit the unlock button on the fob and restart the car. No problem.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by henryr01
I'm not sure that is 100% correct. I believe all you have to do is 'unlock' the doors using the fob.

I had this exact problem this morning. My Daughter used my car last night, using Fob #2. I got into the car with my knees pressed against my chest. Usually when I get in the car, I reach around the steering wheel and start it while getting in, all in one fluid motion so I didn't notice it until the car was started. True, I could have just hit the #1 button for the seat memories, but that wouldn't have changed any of the other presets. So it's a simple fix: turn the car off, hit the unlock button on the fob and restart the car. No problem.

Maybe - but I don't normally use the buttons on the FOB to unlock the doors - I was using the touch sensors with the FOB in my pocket - but I'll keep your method in mind then next time the car gets confused when my wife and I both walk up to the car at the same time and I have the FOB in my pocket and hers in in her purse.

BTW - I must say I really like the convenience of being able to do that - keep the FOB in my pocket (plus my cell phone in my pocket or jacket) and just get in the car and drive!

Wish my house worked the same way
Old 09-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

It could. I read about a guy that had an RFID injected into the web between his fingers, and he just passed his hand over a sensor to unlock the door. Kind of very industrial, works like a badge reader at work.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Go Big Blue!

BTW - I must say I really like the convenience of being able to do that - keep the FOB in my pocket (plus my cell phone in my pocket or jacket) and just get in the car and drive!

Wish my house worked the same way
Man, you ain't kidding. Another one of those features you never knew you needed until you had it. I won't buy another car without keyless door handle and start anymore.

It's one of the things that is stopping me from getting the MDX. Can't believe this is not standard on ALL Acura's. I went to look at a BMW X5 this weekend because of that feature. Loved the ute, hated the price. $69k equiped like the MDX with that one extra keyless feature