Whining noise at Idle speed - alternator/water pump/pulleys??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Whining noise at Idle speed - alternator/water pump/pulleys??

Hi Everyone,

A couple of days ago I started noticing a whining noise at idle speed and a little above idle speed (up to 2500 rpm) coming from the engine compartment but more audible while setting in the car with the windows rolled up. Here is the noise:

The car is a 2005 RL with 166K on it. Timing Belt has been serviced at 101K about 3 years ago (2010)

The noise happens with or without the AC.
The noise level does not change when turning the power steering wheel left or right to the maximum points.

So my suspicion is either the alternator or one of the drive belt pulleys. Can any one suggest other possibilities? I don't want to shell $$ for the alternator to find out it is something else...

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Get under the hood and figure out what side of the engine it is on?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM
10th Gear

Well, I think I may have figured out where the noise is coming from. I believe it is the alternator. Can any one take a look at this video under the hood and tell me if I'm mistaken with this?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
That's the sound my car made shortly before I had to replace my alternator.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
One, you should rev it harder, that always helps.

Second, I heard this sound one time and I took it to a mechanic.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like either the alternator or power steering pump. My power steering pump had the exact same noise on my 95 accord.

Do this:

1. Get a mechanic's stethoscope
2. Have someone rev the car while you listen and see where the sound is originating. Be careful to not touch any moving parts like the drive belt and watch out for the radiator fan.
3. Post back results.

Last edited by djkurious; 08-15-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 PM
10th Gear

An update on this:

Tonight I turned on the ignition, it took a few cranks for the engine to start. I drove for less than a quarter of a mile then the "Check Charging System" warning light came on and the red battery light came on. I turned right back home and parked it.

Had called the dealer yesterday to find out the cost of changing the alternator, they wanted $500 for parts & labor. Does this sound right? Advanced Auto Parts quoted me ~$290 for a new alternator, so seems like dealer wants about $210 for labor, does it sound like a good deal?

Also, how many miles do you guys think it will go without needing a tow now that the charging system light has come on? I'm wondering if I can make it to the nearby dealer on Monday without having to call for a tow truck.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Buy the alternator from Auto zone, seems to be cheaper there and you also get a lifetime nationwide warranty in their system. Honestly, the alternator is something you can do yourself with basic tools. The price they are charging you for labor is about right. The dealerships usually charge around 500 for that repair. How far are you from the dealership?
BDoggPrelude (04-21-2014)
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by djkurious
Buy the alternator from Auto zone, seems to be cheaper there and you also get a lifetime nationwide warranty in their system. Honestly, the alternator is something you can do yourself with basic tools. The price they are charging you for labor is about right. The dealerships usually charge around 500 for that repair. How far are you from the dealership?
I'm about ~ 9 miles away from the dealer on a city route, average speed on that road is about 35-45 mph with several traffic lights. There is no highway route to them. Will I be able to get it there on what's left in the battery charge alone?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced

You probably wouldn't make it to the dealership. Best to have it towed if your not willing to tackle it yourself. It is a fairly easy job.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 AM
10th Gear

You probably wouldn't make it to the dealership. Best to have it towed if your not willing to tackle it yourself. It is a fairly easy job.
I don't have any tools and not sure i can tackle it myself, the most I've done by myself was change the oil. If someone knows of a DYI or can post some pics here I can probably take a shot at it.

Any suggestions to make it get there? Is there like a battery charger I can buy to charge half way there in case it fails on the way?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced

I'm sure it's online somewhere or either youtube on how to change it yourself. It's the same procedure as changing the alternator on an Accord/MDX/TL v6.

To get it to the dealership, you will need to fully charge the battery and possible have someone follow you for a jump. If you have a portable battery jumper that may help also. The RL is very energy hungry.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 PM
10th Gear

Update on this: I bought a re manufactured Duralast alternator from Auto Zone, they had a 20% off ship-to-home deal on online ordering, so that worked out to be a good deal. Charged the battery to 13.8 volts using a battery charger in the morning, then drove the car to the nearest mechanic with the "Check Charging System" light on (the nearest mechanic happened to be a Pep Boys less than a mile away from home) figured I save on towing.

Alternator changed, noise is gone. Also had them replace the drive belt with an OEM one from the dealer that I bought the day before. Figured I go OEM with belts to avoid slipping hassles.

Thanks for every ones input on this.
The following 3 users liked this post by AgedPreluder:
djkurious (08-25-2013), projektvertx (04-22-2014), TonyCD (11-24-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Good deal and thanks for posting back. Hopefully someone will find this info useful one day in a search.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks for this thread - helped my identify the problem before I got stranded somewhere! Awesome info and video sounds exactly what mine sounded like.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AgedPreluder
Update on this: I bought a re manufactured Duralast alternator from Auto Zone, they had a 20% off ship-to-home deal on online ordering, so that worked out to be a good deal. Charged the battery to 13.8 volts using a battery charger in the morning, then drove the car to the nearest mechanic with the "Check Charging System" light on (the nearest mechanic happened to be a Pep Boys less than a mile away from home) figured I save on towing.

Alternator changed, noise is gone. Also had them replace the drive belt with an OEM one from the dealer that I bought the day before. Figured I go OEM with belts to avoid slipping hassles.

Thanks for every ones input on this.
I'm having the same issue same noise and everything but no symptoms yet.... Did we all agree this was the alternator?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Sorry, I didn't swing back around. After I got to the shop, they all agreed it wasn't the alternator. It was my power steering pump, even though it sounded exactly like the video. Thankfully the pump was fine, the fluid was just filthy. They flushed with new fluid and it's been perfect.

It's worth noting that mine was only happening in colder weather <15° F. It also steers alot nicer than it did before .

The power steering flush was less than $100, so I'll take that over a $400 for an alternator any day.
The following 3 users liked this post by mitchkramez:
EL19 (11-27-2013), mrm143 (11-27-2013), oo7spy (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitchkramez
Sorry, I didn't swing back around. After I got to the shop, they all agreed it wasn't the alternator. It was my power steering pump, even though it sounded exactly like the video. Thankfully the pump was fine, the fluid was just filthy. They flushed with new fluid and it's been perfect.

It's worth noting that mine was only happening in colder weather <15° F. It also steers alot nicer than it did before .

The power steering flush was less than $100, so I'll take that over a $400 for an alternator any day.
I was thinking the same, I looked at it last night, and if you put your hand on the PS hose, you can "feel" it.... The fluid is at the proper level, but brown, and it was moving around in the reservoir.... My buddy said he is going to get the turkey baster and flush it for me.... I am not getting any symptoms, no more or less noise when moving the wheels, also no bad alternator electrical gremlins...

Cheapest route is the fluid, I will keep you informed
Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrm143
I was thinking the same, I looked at it last night, and if you put your hand on the PS hose, you can "feel" it.... The fluid is at the proper level, but brown, and it was moving around in the reservoir.... My buddy said he is going to get the turkey baster and flush it for me.... I am not getting any symptoms, no more or less noise when moving the wheels, also no bad alternator electrical gremlins...

Cheapest route is the fluid, I will keep you informed
Buddy did the screwdriver test, the alternator is MUCH louder then the pump... so we now think its the alternator....
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Is their a DIY alternator replacement, did a search couldn't find anything
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Instructor

disregard found a writeup
Old 11-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Instructor

any other concerns or suggestions let me know, not going to do it until after the holidays if I can put it off
Old 11-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Mine had no more or less whine when turning the wheels, just seemed like it changed with acceleration/deceleration, which is immediately why I suspected the alternator as well. Thankfully my mechanics are smarter than I am and found the actual problem instead of just changing the alternator only to have the problem persist. Yours may very well be the alternator, but mine sounded exactly like the video above. I had no indication of any issues electrical or otherwise.

If you're looking at flushing your power steering fluid yourself, you may want to look into one of these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_141690-60928...1016407&rpp=32 I do most of my lawnmower and snowblower oil, brake fluid, etc changes with this thing and it's glorious.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitchkramez
Mine had no more or less whine when turning the wheels, just seemed like it changed with acceleration/deceleration, which is immediately why I suspected the alternator as well. Thankfully my mechanics are smarter than I am and found the actual problem instead of just changing the alternator only to have the problem persist. Yours may very well be the alternator, but mine sounded exactly like the video above. I had no indication of any issues electrical or otherwise.

If you're looking at flushing your power steering fluid yourself, you may want to look into one of these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_141690-60928...1016407&rpp=32 I do most of my lawnmower and snowblower oil, brake fluid, etc changes with this thing and it's glorious.
That thing is cool looking lol...
Not that i dont trust my friend but the PS fluid looks nasty and smells... I'm hoping its that and nothing else... No signs if anything though.... No electrical issues nothing just the annoying noise
Old 12-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
had the whine noise out of nowhere...then a couple hours later my check engine light came on along with P0562...only place that got the alternator is autozone...only at 67k =(
Old 04-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
I experienced the exact same issue about two weeks after my timing belt service. I figured it must be something too new or too bad lol ... anyhow, I got yesterday "Check Charging System" messages which would go away.
Since the car is under the warranty I took it to the usual Acura Dealer when I utilize warranty, and sure enough here is the list of what was wrong:

- Water Pump was leaking (yes, the brand new one that was recently installed). Warranty has covered it...
- Power-steering pump was replaced as it was failing (not sure if they replicated the noise sound and found power steering pump to be bad, but it was replaced also under warranty).
- Alternator they checked but found nothing wrong with it. They will be test driving it to see if they can replicate the message - waiting to hear back from them on their findings.
- Asked them also to check Lower FR L Control Arm which was reported to have bit of movement by the mechanic who was handling timing belt service. Waiting to hear back from them...
- Asked them to check humming sound between 30-35 miles when its colder and until car warms up (10-20mins initial drive)... Waiting to hear back on this as well since I suspect it is prop. shaft / drive-shaft making this noise.

All together, not sure what it may be, but out of three possible things, they so far replaced 2 (Water pump and power-steering pump)... waiting to hear on alternator because of that message. I really do not want to be stranded somewhere - but, warranty I have has the towing anyway - I guess it is just an inconvenience.

I'll report back with my final result.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Have the same noise. Only present after a longer drive and everything is fully warmed up. Has anybody removed the belt and spun the WP or ALT by hand, and if so, were the bad whiny bearing obvious?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by drolds72
Have the same noise. Only present after a longer drive and everything is fully warmed up. Has anybody removed the belt and spun the WP or ALT by hand, and if so, were the bad whiny bearing obvious?
That's weird that you only get the noise after the everything is warmed up. Usually you start hearing noises when everything is cold and it goes away once the car is warmed up and all the greases are flowing more freely. I doubt you could spin them by hand fast enough to hear the whining unless the parts were really out of whack.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
That's weird that you only get the noise after the everything is warmed up. Usually you start hearing noises when everything is cold and it goes away once the car is warmed up and all the greases are flowing more freely. I doubt you could spin them by hand fast enough to hear the whining unless the parts were really out of whack.
It wouldn't be so much of a noise thing, as a feel when you do it by hand. Side note- my PS pump was leaking a bit and getting fluid on the top cover. 300 for rebuilt one.. Ordered the O-rings and seal for about $25. R/R with the overhaul was about 2 hours. No more leak or noise...
oo7spy (04-26-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same exact whining noise

Originally Posted by AgedPreluder
Hi Everyone,

A couple of days ago I started noticing a whining noise at idle speed and a little above idle speed (up to 2500 rpm) coming from the engine compartment but more audible while setting in the car with the windows rolled up. Here is the noise:

High pitch noise at Idle from 2005 Acura RL, alternator/water pump/pulleys?? - YouTube

The car is a 2005 RL with 166K on it. Timing Belt has been serviced at 101K about 3 years ago (2010)

The noise happens with or without the AC.
The noise level does not change when turning the power steering wheel left or right to the maximum points.

So my suspicion is either the alternator or one of the drive belt pulleys. Can any one suggest other possibilities? I don't want to shell $$ for the alternator to find out it is something else...

Thanks
I have the EXACT SAME whining noise in my 2005 TL (193K). It just started a couple days ago. It whines at idle and more when I accelerate.

About 2K miles ago, I had my mechanic replace the timing belt as well as the water pump, drive belt, "tension timing belt" and idle pulley. It was all part of OEM kit. Not sure what the "tension timing belt" means. It's what's on my receipt.

Please let me know how you fixed the whining as it sounds identical to my problem.

**Also, not sure if this is related but I just noticed that my navi is flickering or has these horizontal lines now so maybe an alternator or amp problem??

Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-03-2015, 07:41 AM
1st Gear

Good deal and thanks for posting back. Hopefully someone will find this info useful one day in a search.
It did help me, my vehicle started whining a week ago, I was hoping it would go away but now it sounds like a siren, I feel like I have a better idea of what may be wrong when I go to the dealer now. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-14-2016, 01:32 PM
6th Gear

Apologies for bringing this thread back "from the dead". Last night our 2008 3G TL developed a similar whining sound from the engine. The battery/charging system indicator suddenly came on while waiting at a traffic light. When the traffic light turned green the car could barely go 15 mph, so pulled into a parking lot. A jump didn't fix the problem, so we ended up getting a new battery. The car is fine now, but with an unmistakable whining sound. From reading this thread, I am quite positive it's the alternator. The first quote I got from the dealer is $615 before tax. I will call a couple other shops to see if I can get it a little cheaper. Car has only 68000 miles on it. Thanks guys for all the knowledge you share!
Old 09-25-2020, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The OP didn't log in for the past 7 years...basically my RL has possibly this sound at idle and I start hearing it at 2 or 2500K RPM. I first thought about AWD but since it happens when car is stationary then I will rule this out. I also thought of power steering but there is no noise when I turn the steering wheel and fluid is good. I am usually by myself and need to hunt/ask someone to accelerate while I check under the hood. 2010 RL with 110K miles. Timing belt, water pump and idler were replaced few thousand miles ago.

Guys, so the bottom line points to an alternator?
Old 09-26-2020, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Imperial
The OP didn't log in for the past 7 years...basically my RL has possibly this sound at idle and I start hearing it at 2 or 2500K RPM. I first thought about AWD but since it happens when car is stationary then I will rule this out. I also thought of power steering but there is no noise when I turn the steering wheel and fluid is good. I am usually by myself and need to hunt/ask someone to accelerate while I check under the hood. 2010 RL with 110K miles. Timing belt, water pump and idler were replaced few thousand miles ago.

Guys, so the bottom line points to an alternator?
Possibly the alternator or one of the pulleys. Best way to diagnose is to remove the belt and spin each pulley.
The following 3 users liked this post by djkurious:
Imperial (09-26-2020), projektvertx (09-26-2020), RL09 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 08:52 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Send down a stethoscope. if the sound looks like alternator or pulley, then its alternator.

It's most probably the alternator. But, you didn't post the sound. if its same context as OP, then most probably alt.

Imperial (09-26-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RL09
Send down a stethoscope. if the sound looks like alternator or pulley, then its alternator.

It's most probably the alternator. But, you didn't post the sound. if its same context as OP, then most probably alt.
I don't hear the noise from outside. Tried to hear the noise form engine bay, nothing abnormal. I think it is coming from inside the vehicle, maybe from the transmission. I couldn't capture the noise on the video, camera doesn't really pick it up. I may try voice recorder function set to sensitive level.
1) Some posts indicate torque converter, planetary gears or something to that extent.
2) I do know that 2 or 3 years ago original owner took the car to Acura and they did torque converter/transmission software update to eliminate judder. Don't know if it is related to this or not.
3) Did/does anyone have similar transmission whine and if it is "Okay" and should not pose any issues or needs to be addressed soon?
Old 09-27-2020, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
I don't hear the noise from outside. Tried to hear the noise form engine bay, nothing abnormal. I think it is coming from inside the vehicle, maybe from the transmission. I couldn't capture the noise on the video, camera doesn't really pick it up. I may try voice recorder function set to sensitive level.
1) Some posts indicate torque converter, planetary gears or something to that extent.
2) I do know that 2 or 3 years ago original owner took the car to Acura and they did torque converter/transmission software update to eliminate judder. Don't know if it is related to this or not.
3) Did/does anyone have similar transmission whine and if it is "Okay" and should not pose any issues or needs to be addressed soon?
If your audio is on with Bluetooth connected with high volume and nothing is playing, then speakers will make a whining sound.
Imperial (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 10:22 PM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
You may wanna take a good peak at this then: https://www.roadrunnerconverters.com...erter-shudder/
Imperial (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by deepa1600
If your audio is on with Bluetooth connected with high volume and nothing is playing, then speakers will make a whining sound.
I know what you mean, the usual static/interference. I already made sure the car stereo isn't doing anything and volume is down all the way, still it isn't related to that in my case.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RL09
You may wanna take a good peak at this then: https://www.roadrunnerconverters.com...erter-shudder/
As many of you might know, Acura created TSB for RL models in the summer of 2012 that had something to do with torque converter lock up and driver could feel shudder at specific speeds(20-45 MPH). So the remedy for this was to do "PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch" and it says: If the transmission software is not updated, the transmission may become damaged. Basically it took the owner of the car few years before he went to Acura for an update. Just thought maybe that long of a wait could of created some minor issues.

I am not saying transmission has an issue and I don't feel anything abnormal. The whine noise seems to be RPM-driven and changes a bit when shift happens OR maybe it is the engine itself that produces this noise. I think from 1-3rd gears whine is present, then kind of either blends with the road noise or disappears. Also when I release gas pedal, whine goes away. Since the car is 10 years old and dealer gave me 1-3 months warranty(will have to confirm exactly), I just wanted to see if there is nothing to worry about or something is not right. Oh, I also took my scan tool when car was idling and checked short term fuel trim and it was about 6% and long term fuel trim about 1.5 to 2.5 %. It indicates that ECU was adding a bit of fuel as it thinks that air is more and fuel was less than it should be. I will also check for vacuum leaks but I am sure it is good, as I recently replaced air filter with the new one and all connections were good. Important info, just remembered: when I bought the car from Acura dealership, then in couple of weeks checked air filter, it wasn't clean unfortunately and on top of that, it wasn't installed properly(the plastic pin on the frame was not in correct spot. Guess it is time to clean MAF in case it got dirty a bit

Last edited by Imperial; 09-27-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Whining noise at Idle speed - alternator/water pump/pulleys??